Home

Video Game Football Is Dying

This is a discussion on Video Game Football Is Dying within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2004, 08:03 PM   #9
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Video Game Football Is Dying

Damn, I remember 3 years on this site.....we were studying, analyzing, dissecting the screenshots from Madden 2003 and NFL 2K3 and comparing them to each other. Then for 2K4 and then for 2K5.

It was the best of times and the worst of times but I'm gonna miss it.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:14 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3

I've always felt like a big kid...playing football games for hours at a time. Football and basketball videogames, were the only two genres that made me continue to buy new systems when they came out. Now, I don't have a football game to play. Why in the hell would I buy a videogame system? I don't play GTA or Halo or any of these other games that seem to be hot now-a-days. It's iron, but the EA/NFL/NFLPA's deal is going to have a trickle down effect. Not only does Sega lose money and brand power, but Sony and Microsoft will, because I always purchase the top two systems. Without a good football game for five years, I guess I'll have to skip the next generation of vg systems and re-evaluate when EA's contract runs out. Or maybe I'll finally get over videogames once and for all...who knows. EA and the NFL made this all possible. Good job guys.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:35 PM   #11
d*v*'s * k*ll*r!

ThatCanadianGuy's Arena

OVR: 12

It is dying. We don't have choice anymore. There's no more Fever, ESPN, GameDay, etc. Now we only have Madden to wait for, and if you don't like Madden, you're screwed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2004, 11:24 PM   #12
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
You guys are awful pessimistic. I'm 34 and I've seen alot of changes and trends in the industry but the games almost always improve, sometimes significantly, sometimes in more subtle ways. Just because of this exclusive deal it doesnt' mean it's the end of the world.
Maybe not the end of the world, but when football gaming is alot of folks favorite genre then this is one helluva hit.
Ea has managed to strip away something that we so much take for granted,and that's the freedom of CHOICE! They've clearly proved that they felt the competition was gaining ground, and this is the result of that. I will admit I'm 36 and I would get excited to see the promise of the new years fb games,seeing as how my first fb game was on the 2600, but what as just taken place leaves a sick feeling in my stomach knowing now that I don't have a choice anymore. So i guess the new slogan should be " If you can't beat em' buy em'
Old 12-15-2004, 11:40 PM   #13
MVP

Mrcabone's Arena

OVR: 12

The sad part is Sega was 2 to 3 years from equaling or overtaking the football gaming crown from EA,they popped ESPN Football 2K5 in they're XBox'es and were blown away they could feel it slipping away,so i say screw EA!
I'll be looking forward to Sega's game in 2010.

Old 12-15-2004, 11:55 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile_17
I used to love video game football. I remember playing the original Madden on the Genesis (I'm 36 now) and continued playing Madden up until last year. I'd enjoyed the 2K series on the Dreamcast, but didn't make the "full switch" until 2K4. I haven't bought a Madden game since and everytime I see it or watch it being played, I just can't get past just how much it, well, sucks.

Anyway, I've been so into XBL now that most of my gaming is online. Even with 2K5, I mostly stopped playing months ago - because of the DL Glitch evident in online H2H play. I never really played the game much offline, although I thought the gameplay was fantastic offline. All my friends have bought ESPN and now NONE of them even own Madden.

In short, I'm playing more driving games now and adventure and military sims. I still enjoy the idea of video game football, but I can't imagine there being no good alternative to EA's crapfest until I'm in my forties!

(Sigh) It's the end of an era. It's finally over...
I feel you bro'. I'm 38 and NOT a big Madden fan either, I guess I'll play ESPN 2005 until they take the servers offline. Hell, there are some Fever addicts still playing Fever 2004 out there. Now I know how they feel...and also admire their loyalty not to sell out either.

Madden is so far behind ESPN that it's like playing NFL 2K3 in my opinion. I'm confident I can ride out ESPN until the XBOX is obsolete. Maybe Sega/ESPN will have something out for the next gen consoles. Even without a license, I'd play a game I love that doesn't have the NFL affiliation than one that does that will bore the heck out of me and collect dust!
Old 12-16-2004, 12:15 AM   #15
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

whats I think most people are missing is the backlash that comes with this deal. From editors of magazines to casual fans. With piracy at a all time high. Mods and what not. What EA has done is create more piracy. They will still make the game. It will still sell. BUT.. not as many copies as last years game. They will not change the engine they will just fix glitches.

The gaming community is as strong as ever. The Someone will figure a way to play games on XB connect. Or even better once a XBOX emulator is made for the PC.. IT always happens.. games can be played online. The negative backlash is amazing to me. EVEN die hard madden fans know their game will suffer immensely and they are pissed which is really cool.

What can we do as consumers? Just not buy their product. And if your a madden junkie. DONT PAY FOR IT. Trade in games for it. Dont buy it right away. I know people will still buy it. NOT ME. But if you do wait a few months. HIT EA IN THEIR POCKET BOOK
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2004, 07:20 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'm just hoping Sega can come out with a game similar to the licensing problems that the Football Pro Series had. That game rocked until the FBPro99 came out and killed the series. But that game is still being played today. If Sega can continue upgrading their game and give us the ability to customize...they can survive the 5 year non licensing. Football Pro had a very nice following without a license...

Just a thought...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »