Home

Are you old enough to remember Dynamix football?

This is a discussion on Are you old enough to remember Dynamix football? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2004, 09:52 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28
Are you old enough to remember Dynamix football?

It was for the PC in the early 90's. At the time was the best football game out there. Guess what? They had no NFL license.

My point is this. If VC is as good as everyone says they are they will move on. Think about it this way. Without the NFL license they have no creative limitations. They can make the game edgier.

I for one actually think this will help VC. Why? They technically are no longer 'competing' with EA on this level. They are free to make their own niche and make their own impact on the market.

It's times like these that show how good ya are. I for one think they'll come up with something great and what will end up happening is people buying both games (a lot do already). I still think they will make a college game that could easily smoke EA's....now is the time to strike in that market.

But as for 'Pro' football. Innovate and make a great game. People will ALWAYS buy a great game, licensed or not.

Just my .02
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2004, 10:34 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Are you old enough to remember Dynamix football?

My thought exactly. Front Page Sports: Pro Football had a HUGE following, and a massive group of third-party chaps who created full logos, uniforms, stadiums, etc. for the game.

Unfortunately, the FPS story doesn't mesh easily with Sega, as FPS was strictly for the PC and made applying patches, upgrades and new add-ons an easy thing. For console gamers, the options are highly limited for now.

And if you are old enough to remember the game, you no doubt also remember the debacle of FPS: PF 2000, that Sierra actually RECALLED (the only computer/video game I know of that has that less-than-envious distinction). Then they sacked the entire programming staff and discontinued the entire FPS line. We want to make sure Sega does it right, and with the right mix of built-in goodies and open-ended user options to make this fly well the first time. I for one would welcome a fresh approach to pro football, much like my enjoyment with Out of the Park Baseball for my fictional Universal Baseball Association and with Winning Eleven for my fictional Eastside United in the equally fictional Master League North.
College Hoops 2k8: Duke, Winston-Salem State
Old 12-16-2004, 11:30 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 9

On a different front..... How about Photo-Electric Football? This was the ultimate in coaching strategy, and playcalling. You had a Offense folder and a Defense folder all filled with real plays "right from the sidelines". So, as the Offense, you chose your play, and slid it into a folder so the other guy could not see it. Then, the Defense chooses their play, and slides it into the same folder. Now came time for the action. You placed the folder on top of this box with a light bulb underneath a clear plastic top. When you slowly pulled the folder away from the edge of the box, the two play cards stayed there. Both the Offense and Defensive cards were that see-through type of stuff that you used with an overhead projector. So, when you pulled the folder away, you had the diagrams of the plays, and if the defensive assignments of the players touched the path of the ball carrier, or touched the path of a thrown ball, the play was whistled down where that guy was touched, or where the interception was made. So, if you called a zone defense expecting the pass, and the O called the run up the gut, the result would be similar to what would happen in that situation.... This was the beginnings (for me) of the intracacies of coaching, and calling the right plays in the right situation. The best part.... I still have it, and it still causes beer- induced, foul mouthed trash talk when my buddies come over...

SYF
Old 12-16-2004, 11:43 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

If that Music Mixer xbox game allows you to transfer mp3's to the xbox I don't see why they can't allow you to transfer jpgs either. Now I am not sure if PS2's could use the same interface, but they have usb so I don't see why not. Even go as far as including free downloads from espnvideogames.com for utilities to create the logos and either convert them to the right format or size, etc. Also, for the non-AR community, make it so you can get copies of peoples rostets and teams through live or ps2 online. (Kind of like PC games when you play online with a created map, they allow everyone to download it and then use it on their own afterwards also.)
Old 12-16-2004, 11:50 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jistic
It was for the PC in the early 90's. At the time was the best football game out there. Guess what? They had no NFL license.

My point is this. If VC is as good as everyone says they are they will move on. Think about it this way. Without the NFL license they have no creative limitations. They can make the game edgier.

I for one actually think this will help VC. Why? They technically are no longer 'competing' with EA on this level. They are free to make their own niche and make their own impact on the market.

It's times like these that show how good ya are. I for one think they'll come up with something great and what will end up happening is people buying both games (a lot do already). I still think they will make a college game that could easily smoke EA's....now is the time to strike in that market.

But as for 'Pro' football. Innovate and make a great game. People will ALWAYS buy a great game, licensed or not.

Just my .02

I agree, I was saying something along these lines in another post. If the game is good, people will buy it and play it. I also owned a copy of the Dynamix football game. Only draw back at the time was my computer at the time ran it like crap.. The game was great however for that time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2004, 12:04 PM   #6
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

I had that game(and every version after) since it was out.
I probably spent more time designing plays than I did playing it.

It was and really still is a great game. I think 96 or maybe 97 was the best version.

I remember getting a football digest and entering all the players real names for the first version.
Then the following year it went from FPS Football to FPS Football Pro which included the license.

I was contemplating firing it back up but I'm not sure how it would run on XP.

It was a sad day when the 99 version was recalled and eventual series death occured.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:12 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
I agree, I was saying something along these lines in another post. If the game is good, people will buy it and play it. I also owned a copy of the Dynamix football game. Only draw back at the time was my computer at the time ran it like crap.. The game was great however for that time.
The Dynamix game was great only because of so many non-Sierra people out there who were able to fix a lot of the game's problems and create some awesome add-ons. Things unraveled with FPS: FP 2000, a game so buggy even the experts out there couldn't fix it in time before Sierra pulled the plug on it and the whole FPS series. I remember the baseball game...indeed great for its time, but what a slug! It took overnight just to sim a day's worth of games!

If VC picks up this gauntlet, they just need to make sure they approach it correctly: slowly, carefully, making every painstaking effort to release a game that will not require the same third party patchwork that FPS did. The good news is they face no competition if they do, because this would be a different entity entirely from Madden's NFL rehash. VC can take their time to get it right, even if that means waiting a couple of years and making their first release on the next gen consoles.
College Hoops 2k8: Duke, Winston-Salem State
Old 12-16-2004, 12:20 PM   #8
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

FPS Football almost caused me to flunk out of college:

Best football game I have ever played.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »