Home

Would I be mad if VC got the NFL liscense?

This is a discussion on Would I be mad if VC got the NFL liscense? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2004, 04:10 PM   #17
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: Would I be mad if VC got the NFL liscense?

Thanks for the good information, quietcool72. Also, I think some of your ideas are really interesting (GTA meets NFL)! I see where you're trying to balance some of the anti-EA sentiment, but I guess from my perspective, EA needs no defending. As the #1 game publisher in the world and the only one that can make an NFL game, I don't think any amount of criticism is too heavy. They have their millions of dollars (many of them ours!) and army of PR/marketing people to defend themselves, I just don't think they need gamers getting in the trenches for them as well.

I also can't stand fanboys of either game, especially at a time like this - when we're all getting screwed equally. I don't think it's possible to be too pessimistic right now about the future of football and sports gaming, but I like your closing sentiment - maybe it is just "Game Different" as opposed to "Game Over". I admire your optimism.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:45 PM   #18
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Thanks for the good information, quietcool72. Also, I think some of your ideas are really interesting (GTA meets NFL)! I see where you're trying to balance some of the anti-EA sentiment, but I guess from my perspective, EA needs no defending. As the #1 game publisher in the world and the only one that can make an NFL game, I don't think any amount of criticism is too heavy. They have their millions of dollars (many of them ours!) and army of PR/marketing people to defend themselves, I just don't think they need gamers getting in the trenches for them as well.

I also can't stand fanboys of either game, especially at a time like this - when we're all getting screwed equally. I don't think it's possible to be too pessimistic right now about the future of football and sports gaming, but I like your closing sentiment - maybe it is just "Game Different" as opposed to "Game Over". I admire your optimism.
I think that this is a major setback, don't get me wrong. The NFL was desparate for a "Sure Cash Cow" in this season where there's no new TV contract negotiations- so this move gave them TV contract-level revenue above and beyond TV contracts. Pure greed on the league's part, but that's how it goes.

But I have alot of respect for the men and women in the American videogame development industry. I think we'll see some fresh football ideas out there that are NOT dependent on the NFL. I bet we see a few really raw and innovative football products.

And I bet we also see MANY creative loopholes left for us the gamers, hackers, and fans to go into the game and edit the names and uniforms- and perhaps the stadiums- to be our NFL teams.

Let us not forget, we have guys like Kerm in our corner- the guy that put Barry Bonds and his likeness back in EA's MVP baseball 2004 through some creative editing work.

All is not lost. Granted, - it sucks right now... but you just wait and see what happens.

Heck- without the NFL license, big hits will now be allowed to actually cause INJURIES in the games..!

..finally!
Old 12-16-2004, 05:59 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'd be mad at them yes, but there's no sense in discussing the impossible. It's a low blow, and I think Sega has enough confidence in their game to not even have considered this. As a matter of fact they weren't even in the bid as far as I know.

Sign Petition (below) For NFL To Keep EA Sports From Monopolizing The Gaming Industry

Petition (click)

Electronic Arts
Trudy Muller, 650-628-7323
[email protected]

NFL
Brian McCarthy, 212-450-2069
[email protected]

PLAYERS INC
Christy Moran, 202-496-2885
[email protected]
Old 12-16-2004, 06:06 PM   #20
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaminor
I'd be mad at them yes, but there's no sense in discussing the impossible. It's a low blow, and I think Sega has enough confidence in their game to not even have considered this. As a matter of fact they weren't even in the bid as far as I know.
Actually, they were: http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/14/comm...column_gaming/

Quote:
It would, in fact, be the NFL's fault should that come to pass. Despite conspiracy theories that have sprouted up on various message boards, the league put out a call for bids this spring for the exclusive license. Among those bidders was Take Two.

While the company would not go into specifics about its bid, spokesperson Ed Nebb said the company was not surprised by Monday's announcement.

Old 12-16-2004, 06:07 PM   #21
Rookie

EA are the ones that opened the table, they made the first offers to the NFL years ago.

Sign Petition (below) For NFL To Keep EA Sports From Monopolizing The Gaming Industry

Petition (click)

Electronic Arts
[email protected]

NFL
[email protected]

PLAYERS INC
[email protected]
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2004, 06:15 PM   #22
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

Quote:
EA are the ones that opened the table, they made the first offers to the NFL years ago.
So you're saying the NFL would have never done this if big bad EA hadn't planted the seed in their heads a few years ago?
Old 12-16-2004, 06:29 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
So you're saying the NFL would have never done this if big bad EA hadn't planted the seed in their heads a few years ago?
I'm not sure, but I find it quite a coincidence that this offer came not long after EA offered them hundreds of milliolns.

You do the math. In the mean time, all I know is that EA have been trying to do this for years, and the NFL has said no, until now.

Petition (click)

Electronic Arts
[email protected]

NFL
[email protected]

PLAYERS INC
[email protected]
Old 12-16-2004, 06:41 PM   #24
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

Quote:
I'm not sure, but I find it quite a coincidence that this offer came not long after EA offered them hundreds of milliolns.

You do the math. In the mean time, all I know is that EA have been trying to do this for years, and the NFL has said no, until now.
It's true that this is a new thing as far a video games are concerned, but it's certainly not something the NFL hasn't done in other areas. The NFL has a long track record of reaching exclusive agreements with it's licensors (two recent examples: DirectTV's exclusive Sunday Ticket rights and Sirius Radio's satelite radio deal). Why the change now? I don't know, but I don't find it plausible to think EA could exert enough pressure on the NFL to do this simply to put Sega out of business. EA dances to the NFL's tune, not vice-versa.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »