Home

Would I be mad if VC got the NFL liscense?

This is a discussion on Would I be mad if VC got the NFL liscense? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2004, 04:16 PM   #49
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: Would I be mad if VC got the NFL liscense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
How can you seriously make this claim??

Do you not even take into account that, on Dreamcast, Sega's game was "the only game in town?" Yes, you mentioned it had no competition, but the point is, it succeeded no matter what! They took the Gameday and Madden formula, and put that on the Dreamcast. That's innovation?

Face it, the two companies have innovated recently BECAUSE OF EACH OTHER. Madden went after the Franchise hounds, continually tweaking it and adding features. The 2k series went after the presentation and gameplay, and some better extras. Hell, last year, the two companies switched roles to an extent!

Let me ask you this: why is it not possible NOW for EA to do the same thing that Sega did? The scenario is the same:

EA (apparently) has no competition now. Why can't we expect them to innovate like Sega has? B/c of track record? Don't forget EA got to the point it has b/c of innovation. We might still be playing Atari Football.... (Although why did Tecmo drop Tecmo Bowl?!?)

Remember, I'm not saying I expect this... just using your points against you.
Good points...However, I do respectfully disagree with the "Sega having no competition on Dreamcast" argument...Their competition was still "Madden", but for a different reason - EA shut out Dreamcast and so in order to attract players to their system, they had to make a game every bit as good (if not better) than Madden on PSone and 2 so people wouldn't pass on the DC. As it turns out, people passed on the DC anyway, but they innovated/tried to make a great game so that Madden-ites would not be scared away from the DC.

It isn't impossible for EA to improve the game every year, but even if they tried their hardest to make the most advanced football sim every year (which I doubt), just the fact that there isn't another group doing the same thing with different sets of ideas that one development house may not have thought of reduces the number of novel ideas/innovations by 1/2. Furthermore, I think everyone here admits it is unlikely EA really pushes the bar for the next few years...

And quitecool - you're right that it's all "sour grapes" right now, and I'm sure you guys are all sick of it...but it should be all of us that are sour about this deal. I've calmed down about it since Monday, but it still bodes poorly for the future of gaming.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »