Home

My fix to ESPN's create a team may be Sega's answer!

This is a discussion on My fix to ESPN's create a team may be Sega's answer! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-19-2004, 11:47 AM   #9
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: My fix to ESPN's create a team may be Sega's answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMSU
Actually, they do. If Sega were to do this, they would be sued in a heartbeat and lose badly.
uh....no they don't. In fact, nearly all of the 32 nicknames in the NFL were copied from other leagues or college teams. If Sega put the 32 nicknames in the NFL with hundreds of nicknames , then there is no basis for the NFL to sue.

Anyways, I think this database idea could really work. It would take about 3 minutes to edit all the team names in the NFL. If they made default uni's really close to the NFL teams(same style but maybe with different colors or same colors with different style), then it wouldn't be that time consuming at all.

This can go for players and coaches as well. Put ALL the NFL player names in a database(like College Hoops). If you wanted to edit QB #11 for the Indiana Speeders, just select Peyton then Manning, edit the jersey number and bam there you have him.

To edit a coach for the DC Senators, select Joe then Gibbs and edit his look and create a VIP for him.

To create the NFL with a CAL feature, name the league the National Football League, select 32 teams and select a default group(it could be called style C or something), name the divisions, name the championship game, whatever.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:36 PM   #10
Pro

Chibi's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
maybe 49ers or seahawks are copyrighted exclusively.
7BC (UNC-Charlotte) and UNC-Wilmington would be very upset to hear this.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:17 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
uh....no they don't. In fact, nearly all of the 32 nicknames in the NFL were copied from other leagues or college teams. If Sega put the 32 nicknames in the NFL with hundreds of nicknames , then there is no basis for the NFL to sue.

Anyways, I think this database idea could really work. It would take about 3 minutes to edit all the team names in the NFL. If they made default uni's really close to the NFL teams(same style but maybe with different colors or same colors with different style), then it wouldn't be that time consuming at all.

This can go for players and coaches as well. Put ALL the NFL player names in a database(like College Hoops). If you wanted to edit QB #11 for the Indiana Speeders, just select Peyton then Manning, edit the jersey number and bam there you have him.

To edit a coach for the DC Senators, select Joe then Gibbs and edit his look and create a VIP for him.

To create the NFL with a CAL feature, name the league the National Football League, select 32 teams and select a default group(it could be called style C or something), name the divisions, name the championship game, whatever.
Can't do it. There is a whole field of law devoted to this.

You cannot make a team called the Detroit Cats and have them wear uniforms that match the real Lions unis, only in green and gold, with a QB that looks just like Joey Harrington, only his name is Jack Harrison, and all of it editable. EA and the NFL would sue in a heartbeat, and Sega would die before they even got to court, because they couldn't match the finances that EA and the NFL would throw at the case.

Bottom line - it ain't gonna happen. You can cream your shorts about loopholes that you think Sega could squirt through, but this has all been considered already. EA and the NFL are ready for a challenge like this, and they are actually hoping Sega tries something like this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2004, 10:26 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
The NFL cannot own nick names.
http://www.azcardinals.com/team/cust...d=terms_of_use

"All rights in the product names, company names, trade names, logos, product packaging and designs of all the PARTNERS or third-party products or services, whether or not appearing in large print or with the trademark symbol, belong exclusively to the PARTNERS, as applicable, or their respective owners, and are protected from reproduction, imitation, dilution or confusing or misleading uses under national and international trademark and copyright laws, as applicable. The use or misuse of these trademarks or any materials, except as permitted herein, is expressly prohibited and nothing stated or implied on this Service confers on you any license or right under any patent, copyright or trademark of the PARTNERS or any third party."

You lose.

Basically, the Philadelphia Eagles own the trademark to the name "Eagles" within professional football in the US. Period. Another team using the name "Eagles" in professional football would be infringing upon their trademark.

That's why you don't see Arena teams named the "Eagles," "Lions," or "Tigers." That's why when the CFL put teams in the US, they became the Baltimore CFL Colts instead of just "Colts." The CFL tried to name them just "Colts" and the NFL sued and won bigtime.

If you don't know what you're talking about, just keep quiet, ok? Some of us study this stuff academically.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:28 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I think more people than you think will. It all about the ease of it.
I disagree. For example, just see how many people you know that have NCAA have the real named players. That's not hard at all to do but very few people who own the game go thru what is required to get it. The people on OS are hardcore and not even close to how people in the mainstream treat their games.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:43 AM   #14
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

this is like baseball mogul...you have all the cities just different names...i don't care about the nick names..they could do the philly birds,or the New York Broadways or the Miami whales...I just want 32 teams with the exact NFL players and numbers if
possible of course the names would not be included but if we can get a database like college hoops, this game will be alright...

Quote:
If you don't know what you're talking about, just keep quiet, ok? Some of us study this stuff academically.
no need to act like an ***.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 12-20-2004, 05:04 AM   #15
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I disagree. For example, just see how many people you know that have NCAA have the real named players. That's not hard at all to do but very few people who own the game go thru what is required to get it. The people on OS are hardcore and not even close to how people in the mainstream treat their games.
But NCAA has been able to sell million copies. Game play matters. If the game play well, people will buy the game. Have you ever played winning 11 series. The EA game has all the names and leagues in the game but Winning 11 still sell very well relative to EA game.

Most hard core sport gamers think Winning 11 series is the best sport game for the last couple of years.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »