Home

My fix to ESPN's create a team may be Sega's answer!

This is a discussion on My fix to ESPN's create a team may be Sega's answer! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2004, 06:32 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
My fix to ESPN's create a team may be Sega's answer!

There are two things I have wanted every year with the CAT/CAP feature that may be the solution to this.

Audio Database matches of first and last name. The CAPs are always called by their last name only. If there is a common first name, why not link them to say a whole name?

Announcer's saying CAT city or mascot names: It always says home/visitor. Why not have a list of names (think Gretzky or EA NHL Hockey that gives a list of cities to choose from that are said by the announcers).

So, how does this solve the problem? Leave the database the same and add the names of the top 50 or so rookies from college. Then when a player creates them, they willbe said.

The city thing works if the name of a team runs into copyright issues. Broncos and Jets might be okay but maybe 49ers or seahawks are copyrighted exclusively.

With this, we have to do some editing but all we would lose is the NFL shield and team logos.

It is not perfect but it would be a step in the right direction.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2004, 01:37 AM   #2
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: My fix to ESPN's create a team may be Sega's answer!

Actually, that's a great idea. The NFL doesn't own team nicknames specifically. the 49ers could be that of UNC Charlotte. So what you do is take team nicknames and cities and match them. For example when you edit a team, database A would be full of city names such as:
New York
Miami
Oakland
etc.

and database B would be full of nicknames such as:
Giants
Dolphins
Raiders
etc.

So you could select Miami from database A and Dolphins from database B and there you have it.....your new team is the Miami Dolphins. A in-depth create a uniform feature could replicate the Dolphins unis to a tee.

Then you have the logos. This is a quite simple workaround. The logo could still be a Dolphin, but just with some modifications like the Dolphin is meanlooking and what not. Plus you could edit the color of the logo.

You should also be a create a league. Name the league anything you want and create a logo for it, Arena Football League, National Football League, Mutant League, whatever....rename the divisions, conferences, and the championship game. The rules, and even choosing the number of teams and the number of games in the League during the season.

So it is quite possible to have the NFL with just a little bit of editing and difference.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:15 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Yes but even if this stuff was possible logistically and legally the general public won't go thru the work to "fix" the game and thus it would onlys ell to the hardcore, a group of which there is not enough profit margin to make such a game worth making.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:40 AM   #4
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17

i am starting to wonder wether we are giving the public a fair shake. i admit it is a long shot. but with the right advertising, a $20.00 price, lots of adaptability and a higher quality polish than before it might work.

noone has tried recently. the public of video game players is getting older. the older gamers tend to be more discriminitory. i think sega should give it a shot. they already have spent a lot of money. i think they should continue developing and gauge the market at E3.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:08 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Yes but even if this stuff was possible logistically and legally the general public won't go thru the work to "fix" the game and thus it would onlys ell to the hardcore, a group of which there is not enough profit margin to make such a game worth making.
I think more people than you think will. It all about the ease of it. If the teams had the correct colors, correct cities and tight gameplay. Winning 11 is a very popular game with the most popular sport in the world. EA is still trying cqtch up with gameplay.

Gameplay trumps all. If NFl2k will model their create a team after Madden Pc community. Watch out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2004, 04:17 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
The NFL doesn't own team nicknames specifically.
Actually, they do. If Sega were to do this, they would be sued in a heartbeat and lose badly.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:52 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMSU
Actually, they do. If Sega were to do this, they would be sued in a heartbeat and lose badly.

You can get close. There are ton of college teams with uniforms and symbols close to the nfl.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:54 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

The NFL cannot own nick names. They can only own the logos for the nicknames that they have. If they owned nicknames then a hell of alot of other leagues and organizations would be in trouble. They cannot stop anyone in any leage from naming their team the Eagles except their own. The only thing they can stop, is a professional team in Philly from naming their team eagles and using the same mascot. But if someone in Hockey, MLB, NCAA, NBA wanted to name their team Eagles then the NFL cannot stop them. Hell my high school teams' mascot was Eagles. So they can't stop people from naming the team whatever they want to name it. The only thing they can prevent is using the same logo design for the team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »