Home

Sega/VC - Lead, follow or get out of the way!

This is a discussion on Sega/VC - Lead, follow or get out of the way! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-27-2004, 09:33 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Sega/VC - Lead, follow or get out of the way!

I wonder what are the parameters in their agreement with the NFL that would prevent Sega from putting out a NFL 2K5 final upadate with modifications to the engine and database prior to the start of the 2005 season?
Old 12-27-2004, 10:27 AM   #10
MVP

tanis38's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranqman
I wonder what are the parameters in their agreement with the NFL that would prevent Sega from putting out a NFL 2K5 final upadate with modifications to the engine and database prior to the start of the 2005 season?
I thought about that too, but I don't know if it will benefit Visual Concepts enough from a business standpoint to warrant it. Sure, it'll make a ton of fans happy, but it doesn't solve their problem of trying to come up with something to compete with EA. The time it'll take them to create/release said patch will probably be spent trying to create their next Pro Football game. Would be nice, but I doubt it'll happen.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:42 AM   #11
Rookie

I am still wondering if they can release a final update to ESPN NFL 2K5 with a total customization patch?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2005, 09:38 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac2k3
I spent the first few days in disbelief. I'm still leaning towards not getting any next-gen system because I don't know how this is going to play out in the other leagues. I'm not buying a PS3 to play EA football, basketball, and baseball...just not gonna happen. But now, I think we all should stop feeling sorry for Sega and expect them to do what they need to do to stay competitive. Like the original poster said, it's going to take some damn innovation. They're going to have to be creative, even if it means just making the best damn CF game ever with the same 2K flavor. Not making any football games would be a cop out...Don't run or hide Sega, stand up and do your thing, or else...EA WILL take over videogaming for good.
You have no freaking clue about anything do you?

EA knew it had no other chance at stopping VC from taking the football market after VC made its deal with Take2. Madden sold 2.5 million copies of Madden2005. VC/Take2 sold 2 million copies of ESPN NFL2K5. EA knew they had no other choice but to do what they did. In reviewers and fans minds the only real weakness of the Madden game was Madden himself and the poor commentary the game has had forever. EA needed to get rid of its sore spot (Madden) but at the same time keep its fans from going to ESPN. So EA started a rumor about them trying to buy the exclusive rights to the NFL last spring. ESPN and some Madden fans went nuts on all the message boards. So what EA and the NFL did was put everything in the NFL hands so it wouldn't make EA look evil in the eyes of its Madden fans. So instead of EA just saying they bought the license they said the NFL would give the license to the highest bidder. If you have even a little knowledge of how big EA is you know theres only 2 other companies big enough to out bid EA and thats Sony and Microsoft. If you know anything about Sega then you would know they had to get out of the Hardware business because people were too stupid to support the most innovative console released and people are enjoying things they brought to the gamers first. You like your analog controls, online sports games, online leagues, online voice chat and force feedback on your controllers? They even have a game where you could play and chat with players from Japan, France and Germany. Sega lost billions trying to innovate for the gaming industry. If VC/Sega/Take2 would've made any kind of offer to the NFL EA would out bid them in a heart beat because they have all the money from the blind sheep who keep buying their games blindly thinking its the best when in fact they're not.

Your post was anything but well thought out because you know nothing about all the companies involved.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:21 AM   #13
MVP

I didn't read you whole post before I made my first reply. I have to admit I was wrong saying you didn't know anything. I chamge my answer to you absolutely know nothing about anything going on with any of these companies or in the minds of people who are fans of the ESPN brand of games.

VC is owned by Sega but Sega really doesn't make any of the decisions for VC. Sega doesn't need VC anymore because they aren't in the hardware business anymore. Sega only needed VC because they knew EA wasn't going to make any games for the Dreamcast. This is why VC made the deal they did to get picked up by Take2 because Take2 is going into the sports gaming market. Take2 and VC made a deal where Take2 after 2 years of publishing ESPN videogames had an option to buy VC from Sega if they wanted. Take2 even bought the Microsoft games studios responsible for Amped, Top Spin tennis and the Links golf games. I'm excited to see what Take2 will do with all these sports development houses. Will they still use the ESPN name or will they take on the Take2 name. Something like "Take2 sports". You put together what Microsoft had planned for XSN and what VC had planned and you got something hot and more inventive than EA could ever think up.

I can't speak for everybody but if VC decided to make a pro football game without the NFL license I would buy it without blinking. Also if you knew anything people who play both EA and ESPN games will tell you that the ESPN versions of the other major sports are the better versions. Might be by an inch or may be by a mile they still think ESPN's games are better. ESPN NHL2K5 whoops NHL2005. ESPN NBA2k5 dunks NBA2005. ESPN College Hoops2K5 slaps March Madness2005 in the mouth. I've been playing VC's football games ever since the launch of the Dreamcast and I think Madden is the most unrealistic football sim out there. Just because EA is the only one with the NFL license doesn't mean I have to buy their crappy game. I'm a man and even if EA was the last woman on earth I still wouldn't have sex with them. If they have sex like they innovate then I would have better sex with my hand. I may get banned for this post but unlike EA being the only NFL game in town for the next 5 years and beyond OS isn't the only message board in town. maybe this will help this thread get locked.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:27 AM   #14
TIm
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanis38
Nice post tranqman.

I seriously doubt that EA will ever let go of the Madden name. I'm sure they've been dying to, but they have backed themselves into a corner. "Madden" IS their game. I mean, they don't even call the game Madden Football anymore, it is just Madden 200X. If they lose the name they'll lose ALOT of consumers who don't know any better and just instinctively buy "Madden". And I'm sure EA has something in their contract with Madden that states that he cannot lend his likeness to any other game. They didn't get to the top by being stupid. Regardless of how much they have to pay the old man, they are paying.

See I think if they get rid of madden then it wouldn't hurt them one bit..Yes madden is the household name but there is a difference between Ea and Sega Sports..That is advertising..You can rest assured that Ea will have this huge marketing blitz whenever this happens to let everyone know...
Old 01-11-2005, 10:29 AM   #15
MVP

At this point it looks like VC will be making a NCAA football game since EA can't buy the NCAA license. EA just bought the AFL license and nobody really wants a CFL game. VCs only choice is a College game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2005, 11:28 PM   #16
Rookie

Bump

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »