Home

EXTRA-EXTRA...Generic NFL Game Probable

This is a discussion on EXTRA-EXTRA...Generic NFL Game Probable within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-24-2004, 01:04 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: EXTRA-EXTRA...Generic NFL Game Probable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroman4ever
Unfortunately...even if the game is the greatest thing since sliced bread I would never purchase a non NFL licensed videogame..or for that matter any sports genre that is not licensed by its professional governing body. Thats just me though.

If EA's game sucks then I won't play anything at all...I just can't see myself sitting around getting hyped over the Pittsburgh Muscrats or an ultra fast scrambling #7 with fair skin who plays QB for Atlanta...Something about that is a BuzzKill for me.

I wish ESPN luck if they put a game out but I have no interest in a cyber football game that is not given the NFL stamp of approval
I don't know you, granted but this is a mistatement. I don't believe you. Either you're a young buck, who didn't have the pleasure of playing non licensed games, or you are trying to convince yourself. You see, if you didn't care, you wouldn't be here trying to convince yourself. Most users of this forum are open minded and will try and or buy a game based on gameplay.

You see afroman, gameplay can't be bought. A license and its authenticity of its product can be purchased. Case in point 989 in the 128 bit era had an NFL license, to no avail, why? because the game play wasn't appealing to the massess.

An old analogy comes into play, just responding to your post. "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make'em drink. Eventhough that drink will sustain him, the blinders surrounding his eyes blocks his periphery(sp?) so he can't see the forest for the trees.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2004, 03:51 AM   #26
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

Back...

I know we are all trying to look at things from a positive angle because we HAVE to, but Afro does make decent points.

The lack of an NFL license is going to be big. At least at first. I've loved the 2K series since 1999 on Dreamcast, and even I'm extremely skeptical. If they can add a editor that will make this a non-issue, then ok.

But it's not just about the NFL and the teams. It's little things, whether they be the fact that VC recreated most of the players' faces in the game to the replications of each unique stadium. I know people love gameplay, and that's what matters, but part of what I love about playing with a team are these small things. It's not just that I enjoy playing with the Browns, it's that I can go to a real Browns game, sit in the stadium, and then come home and play the game, and have that exact stadium recreated in the video game. It's not only playing with a guy who has the skills of Kellen Winslow, it's actually seeing his face and equipment replicated to perfection in the game.

I'm all for gameplay...but I always was. Maybe others here don't really care one way or another about the license. I'm not sure if thats because you are anti EA due to this deal, or just extremely pro VC. Either way, it's commendable. And although I'd like to think that I'd be gung-ho about getting ESPN 2K6...I'm just not sure. I'll have to take a wait and see approach. I just am not sure how fun it'll be to be playing with a team that's always reffered to as Cleveland. To play in a stadium that looks generic. To have players that look generic, and no real names in the game. No NFL logo shields on uniforms...no painted logos on the field, endzones, and in the replay swipes and sportscenter highlights.

For me, the fun is taking a team I love and being able to turn them into a contender. That, at least for me, is the #1 reason I buy football games. It's not just to play with "any ol' team." Sure, I love the gameplay, but there is a reason I don't buy, say, MLB or NBA basketball games--regardless of how good they are. I just don't care as much. So, to take a generic football team and use them...I'm just not so sure how much I'll care after, say, three years in franchise mode.

I think I actually might be more interested in 2K6 becoming NCAA 2K6...although I don't love college football whatsoever...at least everything would be real and not generic. If you only care about gameplay, you might as well play with real college players with real logos and uniforms and stadiums rather than a faux NFL league where nothing is genuine.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:03 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 2

Gameplay is very important and IMO a NFL license is equally important..If EA does not have both on point...I simply won't be playing any football games.

I wish ESPN luck but I can't bring myself to play a Generic brand of cyber football...I personally wouldn't enjoy it...Would I rent it or sumthin?...Probably..just outta curiosity...But I wouldn't purchase and/or commit to a game that hade make believe teams, stadiums and players. I'm just not feeling that.

In years past I have always bought both games and made a decision on which best suited how I like to play. I'd have to think that alot of consumers will be thinking along the same line I am in that they specifically want both great gameplay and a NFL license and will not settle for one w/o the other.

SEga simply loses out because the hundreds of thousands of consumers who will not think of playing an unlicensed game will not even gove them a look no matter how solid their game is...When its all said and done it just may end up being a decent Generic football game.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:17 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 1

Yes a licensed football game would be icing on the cake, but if that is the straw many of you will use, then you certainly deserve what you will probably get with Madden or what ever EA calls their game. To listen to some of you one would think the License automaticly makes the game play better LOL!. Although I wll miss playing with my Skins I will enjoy the fact of playing the better game. I will enjoy the fact the reason I just won or lost was because my opponent either made the wrong or right play calls. I will enjoy what VC & hoepfully ESPN has in store. Why? Because I know the gameplay will be good. VC cares about the product they put out.

I truly believe ESPN could get away with a lot calling their game ESPN Fantasy Football as they build the hell out of the online component.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:49 AM   #29
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40

Vc could sit out a year and come out with a sick college game
Old 12-24-2004, 06:23 AM   #30
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I'm not interested in a college game, only the NFL. With sharkports and Action Replay, I wouldn't have a problem with a generic game because I expect to download roster names to convert the numbers and have a truly representative game in terms of the players. The player licence to me is far more important than the NFL licence. However, a lot of console gamers would not go to this trouble and Afroman is just reflecting that. I personally don't care about not having the stadiums. Even team names aren't that big a deal to me.

For me, when you are playing the actual game, the biggest adjustment would be to not have the true uniforms out on the field. It would look wierd but I can adjust. If they allowed us to import logos as part of a roster editor through the use of sharkports/action replay we could go a long way to make that better too.

As for ESPN, they are money hungry like everybody else. They take money to be in a Sega video game and still promote EA on air. Trey Wingo is in the game but works the EA desk as well so I don't think ESPN will back out as long as they get paid. Before Sega came along, ESPN had their name on a lot of bad products so I highly doubt they would remove their likeness because they felt the game didn't reach their standards which are simply located in their wallet.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:28 AM   #31
Banned

I'm not Anti EA or Pro VC, I'm all about me and what I like. I will purchase Madden, simply because I like video football. I will purchase VC's game as well, why because I like video football. I've played without the license and with the license, is it important yes, is it the end all be all. All the logos in the world can't make the game play better.

A generic professional football game, can and will have the NFL flavor we have grown to love.

Point #1: VC, can still use the NFL coaches, which will give us great plays for the strategy needed. Just remember ESPN2K5 was the first year of V.I.P.

Point #2: VC, can use the last name in the database, the city name, and those city teams colors. It was done on Madden N64.

Point #3: VC, can take an idea already implemented in there basketball games to help you get to know your players, i.e. player personality types ala ESPN NBA 2k5. In addittion to that add skill player icons just like the NBA game. E.G. Skill position icons. WR if he is fast, put a foot icon next to him, IF he can catch, put a hand icon, if he is a standout with high skill level put a star next too him. Keep Icons visible until the snap of the ball. This can go across the board for all skill positions, it will help with scouting, and how you attack the other team. So John Doe, is not just John Doe, with ability icons next too him, he now becomes JOHN DOE if you know what I mean.

So for those who say the blandness of not having an NFL license will detract from the game are right but, there are ways to get totally immersed. Still NFL strategy i.e. coaches, also knowing who your studs are ala ability icons and personality types. VC, can truly move into the emotional side of the game.

Last edited by backbreaker; 12-24-2004 at 08:31 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2004, 10:10 AM   #32
Banned

Ability Icons/Player personality, the more I think about it, the more I feel that this is the way to go, I believe its the only solution to surplant the lack of, NFL players. Here's my early list of Ability icons, let me know whatcha think. Obviously taken from the NBA game and some addittions.

ICON Ability

Foot Speed(for those players with a speed rating 87 or higher)
CrossHair QB/FG kicker, that is an accurate thrower or FG kicker
Pancake for good to great OLine blockers
Blanket for great shutdown corners
? Mark this one has many options and its for the gamer to figure
out, personality problem, or puzzled about his assignment
coupled with weekly prep, you can hone in on the prob-
lem and minimize/maximize the situation.

A Star Of course this is a guy who is gifted, and can either do
things at a high level.

Hand Players that can catch

1stAid icon For players playing hurt.

I know you guys are saying, thats too much on the screen, let me remind you, that this is all presnap and icons can change just like the NBA game, from moment to moment. I think VC calls it on the fly ability icons. But it will used as a great scouting tool and also allows you too see what type of player you have on your squad. Without looking at ratings and because they are not NFL players, makes it easy too identify star players and how they should perform.

Chime in and see if this idea makes it a little more appealing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »