Home

EXTRA-EXTRA...Generic NFL Game Probable

This is a discussion on EXTRA-EXTRA...Generic NFL Game Probable within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-26-2004, 10:56 PM   #49
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: EXTRA-EXTRA...Generic NFL Game Probable

NCAA 2k3 with Drew Brees on it was a very solid game...I may pick up NCAA 2k3 later this month...Only like 15 bucks.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 12-27-2004, 01:13 PM   #50
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroman4ever
I'd be suprised if ESPN did anything in their game that would be disrespectful to the NFL...I mean the NFL TV contract with ESPN is definately something ESPN does not want to jeopardize.
Then I say screw ESPN too. Sega did just fine without them for NFL2k and they would be just fine if they ditched them. I don't give a damn about what ESPN would say Sega 'CAN' and 'CANNOT' do with this game. The fact is, if Sega no longer has the NFL license, the LAST thing on their mind should be whether or not Sega is making them, and ESPN, happy. If the NFL wanted a say-so in how Sega does their own independent football project, then they should not have granted an exclusive license to EA, FORCING Sega to do a generic football game. I hope Sega gives us SF2kers a completely realistic, kick a$$ title that shows the NFL what they SHOULD have been doing with their video games since day one.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:03 AM   #51
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum
Atari Football
Ten Yard Fight
Tecmo Bowl (Had real players, but only selected teams)
John Elway Quarterback

That's all I can really remember, but I think there were a few more. Of course, this was early gaming and we've gone far beyond that now.

The latest sports games I can remember without licensing was Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball (only Jr. was named) and the Bases Loaded series.

heres a few non-lic footbal games I liked...

TV sports football -Amiga(Loved that one)
Madden 64 -N64
The very first "sports talk" football (before it became Joe Montana football ) - Genesis
Mutant League football - Genesis (Loved that one too)
Wasn't the 3DO Madden sans the license also?

Bottom line...if its good, we will buy it, mod it, and play it. When all the guys who think they won't now come to this site and hear the tons and tons of good news, they'll drop the 20 beans too, trust me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2004, 03:11 AM   #52
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcCoy

Madden 64 -N64
The very first "sports talk" football (before it became Joe Montana football ) - Genesis

Bottom line...if its good, we will buy it, mod it, and play it. When all the guys who think they won't now come to this site and hear the tons and tons of good news, they'll drop the 20 beans too, trust me.

Gee Doc you and these guys are bringin tears to my eyes just reminising over the good old days when these games ruled the video gridirons.

Now that "sports talk" was a revolutionary addition that changed video football forever and being a part of that history makes me really see how far these games have actually come. I've seen just about all of em and thats saying a lot so I believe football games will still be made and with the sucess of those older titles of great games I don't see why it can't happen again.

Oh lets not forget Coleco Football it was great to back in the day.

Holla Back ya'll
Old 12-28-2004, 07:49 AM   #53
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcCoy

Madden 64 -N64

Not so fast...IMO gone are the days of gamers, particularly sports gamers, being content with non licensed sports games. Sure I want great gameplay but I also must have the other bells and whistles like my favorite team, stadium and players. W/O the NFL license I really can't see myself buying or playing any game..I may rent it outta curiosity but as far as leading the Toledo Beavers to a championship?..I aint feelin it.

ESPN stands to lose alot of customers right off the top before anyone even tries their game because alot of gamers will demand a license and not settle for less.

I know I'm EA or nothing...An unlicensed product isn't even an option for me and this is coming from someone who believes ESPN has the best game on the market of the two now.

Oh..and you can forget ESPN's unlicensed product selling at $20..How do you think they will make up for the anticipated losses?..It won't be by giving the game away virtually for free like they did this year..Be prepared to pay a nice lil piece of change if they make a game.

Last edited by Afroman4ever; 12-28-2004 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:12 AM   #54
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroman4ever
Not so fast...IMO gone are the days of gamers, particularly sports gamers, being content with non licensed sports games. Sure I want great gameplay but I also must have the other bells and whistles like my favorite team, stadium and players. W/O the NFL license I really can't see myself buying or playing any game..I may rent it outta curiosity but as far as leading the Toledo Beavers to a championship?..I aint feelin it.

ESPN stands to lose alot of customers right off the top before anyone even tries their game because alot of gamers will demand a license and not settle for less.

I know I'm EA or nothing...An unlicensed product isn't even an option for me and this is coming from someone who believes ESPN has the best game on the market of the two now.

Oh..and you can forget ESPN's unlicensed product selling at $20..How do you think they will make up for the anticipated losses?..It won't be by giving the game away virtually for free like they did this year..Be prepared to pay a nice lil piece of change if they make a game.

Your wrong. I saying this in a respectful way, but you are really wrong. Winning 11 series dont have any real players but its the top soccer game in the world. Why, the game play soooooooooooo real, unlike the FIFA series.

Why wouldnt ESPN sell their games for 20 bones. The over head has went down from last year. Should be able to pass the savings down to the consumer. We should worry that Madden wont be 60 bones because of the large fee paid to gain NFL rights.

Here is an experiment for you. Go to ESPN and play the Steelers and the rams. Play with their throw back unis. The old steelers uni and the white and blue rams unis. These uniforms dont look anything like the current teams. After you kick off , your only concern is playing the game. You can tell Bettis from the Duce. Its the game play. If Madden have better game play they win but the same goes to ESPN.

Afroman are you same Afroman on the espn boards. If so, good post on manual catching.

Peace
Old 12-28-2004, 09:58 AM   #55
MVP

tanis38's Arena

OVR: 9

I think it was easier to get away with a non-licensed game back in the day. The graphics were so bad it wouldn’t really matter because you wouldn’t be able to see the team logo on a helmet anyway and the players all looked the same whether it was Jerry Rice or Randy Moss. Nowadays, that we can see all the detail and nuances in the visuals, those details will be missed if they are no longer present. In my opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2004, 11:22 AM   #56
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17

the game cannot just be a generic nfl game. it has to have an edge. great gameplay alone wont work because it isnt like madden has bad gameplay like the fifa series vs. winning eleven. i love winning eleven, btw.

there is a lot you can do that have been mentioned already. customability in what you can do has to be there. the create a team needs to be very good.

the name recognition for cities and team names needs to be there. give us the chance for 100's of names and cities.

also, name recognition for players needs to be there.

i think Take Two knew this was a possibility even last year when they got the license and a few of the features in other games released this year could be put into the nfl game, tweaked a bit and give it the edge needed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »