Home

Is the Plan Unfolding?

This is a discussion on Is the Plan Unfolding? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-18-2005, 12:56 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 6
Is the Plan Unfolding?

After EA's Madden/NFL announcement, there was comments being made about EA possibly purchasing Sega's ESPN NFL (XBox version). The scenario would be Madden on PS2, Cube and PC platforms. ESPN would be on XBox-only.

Considering yesterday's announcement that EA purchased ESPN's exclusiveness for 15 years, I'm wondering if EA is thinking about doing the un-imagineable, purchasing Sega's XBox version. After all, there's value in doing this from a sales, marketing and strategy perspective:

* Brings Sega's users onboard (sales)
* Softens the licensing coup (marketing)
* Builds 'best of breed' opportunity for newer platforms to come (strategy)
* Allows EA to leverage Sega's programming code; especially in how ESPN's presentation is 'already' there. ESPN's presentation is very good

I think the risk would be worth the reward.

Hopeful
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Is the Plan Unfolding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Money
After EA's Madden/NFL announcement, there was comments being made about EA possibly purchasing Sega's ESPN NFL (XBox version). The scenario would be Madden on PS2, Cube and PC platforms. ESPN would be on XBox-only.

Considering yesterday's announcement that EA purchased ESPN's exclusiveness for 15 years, I'm wondering if EA is thinking about doing the un-imagineable, purchasing Sega's XBox version. After all, there's value in doing this from a sales, marketing and strategy perspective:

* Allows EA to leverage Sega's programming code; especially in how ESPN's presentation is 'already' there. ESPN's presentation is very good

Hopeful
They would have to buy it from Take-TWO. TT has first dibs on VC as a company.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21

If I were EA you know what my next step would be. Buy the company who makes ActionReplay and shut them down.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
They would have to buy it from Take-TWO. TT has first dibs on VC as a company.
You're right Take-Two will have dibbs on VC. They can unbundle that team fromt the other game development teams. Or they (VC/football) can be subcontracted by EA. The bottom-line to all that is how serious Take Two will be about producing a quality football game for the next five years.

If they do let it go, this could be a win-win if Take Two is seriously trying get a MLB exclusive. Although, I can't see EA allowing that to happen to them.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 1

EA can hire all the VC developers right out from under VC's nose.

This wouldn't mean that they could take the code from ESPN games, that intellectual property belongs to VC. And they probably signed non-competes, but there is probably a buyout available. If not, they could be compensated well enough to just enjoy their six months or year off.

Even without the code, just having the VC developers' input would help immensely in all of EA's games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2005, 02:59 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braylon
EA can hire all the VC developers right out from under VC's nose.

This wouldn't mean that they could take the code from ESPN games, that intellectual property belongs to VC. And they probably signed non-competes, but there is probably a buyout available. If not, they could be compensated well enough to just enjoy their six months or year off.

Even without the code, just having the VC developers' input would help immensely in all of EA's games.
Yeah, I would have respected them more if EA raided VC talent vs trying to buy them out of business. I think the lead programmer for VC football worked on Madden in the past. I dont know if they want to come back. You know with the complaints how EA treat their workers.

Workers Unite

Peace
Old 01-18-2005, 06:58 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Money

Hopeful
EA will sign an exclusive deal with Sony & PS3 next for online. Few people play Madden on XBOX live anyway. Plus it is a port of the PS2 version carried over on the XBOX so it will always have an inferior look to it. I believe this is step one of Sony/EA's masterplan to corner the Videogame market period!
Old 01-18-2005, 08:02 PM   #8
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpdump66
EA will sign an exclusive deal with Sony & PS3 next for online. Few people play Madden on XBOX live anyway. Plus it is a port of the PS2 version carried over on the XBOX so it will always have an inferior look to it. I believe this is step one of Sony/EA's masterplan to corner the Videogame market period!

fine by me...then microsoft will make games again

the only reason MCSFT stopped their sporst division was to get EA onto xbox live

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »