Home

Catching a Hail Marys

This is a discussion on Catching a Hail Marys within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2005, 10:17 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Catching a Hail Marys

Is there a good way to recieve hail mary? I always get intercepted or it's incomplete.
What do you do to catch these high risk passes?
Old 01-26-2005, 10:36 PM   #2
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Catching a Hail Marys

I just don't long-bomb it. I'll either throw it short, or just run the ball.

I'm just always happy whenever the CPU sets up the hail mary, I always hope to intercept it.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-27-2005, 10:04 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 9

A major key to success for this play is hit your receiver in stride. This means that you only have about a 2 second maximum possession of the ball by the QB before launching it. If you wait for your receivers to go down the field, stop and turn around, forget it. The defense will pick it off every time.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:32 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

I actually completed a Hail Mary in a recent game. Steve McNair cut loose with a hanging prayer with time running out in the Titans' divisional playoff in Kansas City. With the ball in the air, I took control of Drew Bennett, and as the ball came down, I moved Bennett in front of the defense (eight DBs!!!) and caught the ball just inside the endzone--a 33-yard TD with one second left to send this thriller into OT.
College Hoops 2k8: Duke, Winston-Salem State
Old 01-27-2005, 07:18 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

I've had way more success now by releasing more quickly and controling the reciever. I also found that sometime I can run for a first on the right side depending on the computers defensive alighment(got caught once).
Old 01-28-2005, 02:33 PM   #6
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

jeez, if you're talking about with the QB you can run for a first almost any time you want to, especially if they're playing man. that's a huge flaw in the game. you'd probably be best not exploiting it. takes some of the fun away if you're looking for realism.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:35 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

It's a hail mary. There isn't supposed to be strategy to getting it to work. Just throw it up, and hope someone comes down with it. And if it's a situation you'd call a hail mary, why would you run if all it will get you is a first down?
Old 01-28-2005, 04:44 PM   #8
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

the other thing i posted before but screwed up and erased (and didn't feel like retyping) is that hail maries are meant to go into the endzone. if you're farther away than a reasonable pass from your QB into the endzone then you really shouldn't run a hail mary play even though we all do... it's not realistic. if they are close enough then the WRs should be able to get to the endzone, turn and then jump to make a play... then it's luck but they do come down with some but the problem i see is that most hail marys called are from farther away than a hail mary will work for. there are never YAC with hail marys but we all throw them from anywhere with 2 seconds left.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »