Home

Why A 2KSports Football Game Can Succeed In 2K6

This is a discussion on Why A 2KSports Football Game Can Succeed In 2K6 within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2005, 02:58 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Why A 2KSports Football Game Can Succeed In 2K6

both games plays like horse****
defending any of them is idiotic
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2005, 04:18 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 3

The main point of this thread was to determine whether Take 2 can successfully offer a non-NFL football game and make it worthwhile for their company to do so. It is NOT a Madden v. ESPN discussion. Since last July, we've discussed that one and you basically have Pro-ESPN'ers, Pro-Maddenites, and people who play both.'Nuff said on that.

As for whether TT can or will make a football game, I stick to my original thesis of YES...and why.

1. They have not yet disbanded their football development team. I do personally know a QA guy there who still draws a check along with the whole crew. TT would not be as stupid to pay salaries for people doing nothing. Whether that means a game this year of for the Next Gen is the only real question, and either NCAA or generic.

2. I think we can also surmise that if TT makes a generic game for the XBOX this summer, it will be low cost to the company, sold at a low cost, and will "test" the viability of a "generic" genre of football games. Remember, they are competing with Midway and themselves...EA/Madden is irrelevant since thet have the NFL license and TT doesn't. They are basically starting over to find their market share again. Yes $$$$ is always on the company's minds, but sometimes you have to test the market, i.e. read the HYUNDAI story. Did they just concede to the Honda's and Toyota' s of the world? Can't you still find a beeper if you want one in the cell phone era?

3. Offering "something" in football, the flagship sport of sports games, keeps the TT name out there and helps TT cross-promote their other games to the masses via package deals, etc. Anyone who studies videogames or speaks to sales reps in EB Games knows that not everyone is hardcore ans some people (actually alot) rely on brand recognition for their choices. If people like 2K baseball, they might be willing to give a "generic" football game a shot because of their positive experience with a well produced baseball. Not everyone is into rosters, franchise play, etc. Heck, they could package it with the NBA game and people might buy it and enjoy.

4. Cost. If the EA rumors are true that there will be a monthly charge for EA Premium leagues and roster updates, people might welcome a free online experience of casual gameplay with their friends. TT could fill that void. The formula worked in games like Links, and even in basketball they are moving towards creating your own player and going one-on-one online, etc. Not everyone has to have a 100% accurate NFl experience to want to play online.

5. Not everyone needs NFL realism and is an NFL fan. You'd be surprised how many people play football sims but don't keep up with the NFL. Quite possibly that group might want a lower cost game that is online playable and call it a day. Yes, some only play NFL-styled games, but if you believe that the gaming population is still growing, people will want alternatives too. Heck, people still buy NFL street and other fringe games...

TT will still be a player! We just don't know how yet
Old 02-12-2005, 04:54 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 9

I don't necessarily think that there will be a "Generic Football 2k6", but if there was a game, it was still at a $20 price point, and it expanded the online experience, I think I would support it. I guess we will have news soon.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:53 PM   #28
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdros13
I don't necessarily think that there will be a "Generic Football 2k6", but if there was a game, it was still at a $20 price point, and it expanded the online experience, I think I would support it. I guess we will have news soon.
I agree. There is a percentage of us that want just online play. I do not have time to get into franchise mode and play against the A.I. and all that stuff. Give me VC's engine, a "blue" team and a "red" team and lets play ball online. At the end of the day, the online competion does it for me regardless of the real NFL likenesses.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:06 PM   #29
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpdump66
I do personally know a QA guy there who still draws a check
WTF? That bastard still has a job?

Well, I hope He sends his all earnings to these guys:

Aggressiveness = Bad animations.

Last edited by Kanobi; 02-12-2005 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:13 PM   #30
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

[quote=humpdump66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
who keeps saying built for xbox? what are you talking about?
QUOTE]

ESPN 2K5 was developed for the XBOX first, and ported to the PS2 unlike the previous years when it was the reverse. That is why you see the higher quality graphics as compared to 2K4. The "build" was for the XBOX...just like Splinter Cell , etc.
I know. THe question was who keeps saying it's built for the xbox? THe post was in response to someone complaining that people weren't talking about the ps2.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:16 AM   #31
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I agree and I'm sick of hearing the arguement ppl will just buy Madden, even ESPN fans, because it has the NFL license.
Let's be clear on something. NFL2kers will buy Madden this year because it will be the LONE PRO FOOTBALL available this year. They won't buy it BECAUSE EA has the NFL license. If Take Two gave us a generic pro football title this year, NFL2kers would buy it over Madden guaranteed.

Let me illustrate it another way. If you had a choice of driving a Lexus LS 430 or a Dodge Neon, then of course you are going to choose the Lexus. But if someone says you can either drive the Neon to work every day or WALK to work every day, all of a sudden the Neon does not look so bad. Same applies here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2005, 12:08 PM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Lord_Vader
Let's be clear on something. NFL2kers will buy Madden this year because it will be the LONE PRO FOOTBALL available this year. They won't buy it BECAUSE EA has the NFL license. If Take Two gave us a generic pro football title this year, NFL2kers would buy it over Madden guaranteed.

Let me illustrate it another way. If you had a choice of driving a Lexus LS 430 or a Dodge Neon, then of course you are going to choose the Lexus. But if someone says you can either drive the Neon to work every day or WALK to work every day, all of a sudden the Neon does not look so bad. Same applies here.
I agree. I'm a football fan and love the NFL, but if Madden cannot satisfactorily give me the same simulation and stimulation as ESPN 2K5 did, and I'm not having fun, I'd buy a generic game in a heartbeat. Having the NFL license is nice, but if the game is sub-par...is it worth it? To me...it is not. Furthermore, if faced with a similiar Madden to the 2005 version this summer versus playing ESPN2K5 for another year, I'd opt to play ESPN 2K5. Roster accuracy is minimal concern to me versus having a good gameplay experience in the limited time I have to play games each night. I think it is vain for EA and other pundits to think that just because Madden is the only game in town with the NFL likenesses, people who were not a fan of the series will just snap to attention and fork over their cash because they crave NFL accuracy. Yes, many will, But some people are actually not mindless drones and will continue to patronize what they actually prefer!

Last edited by humpdump66; 02-20-2005 at 12:14 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »