Home

EA owning the rights to football games

This is a discussion on EA owning the rights to football games within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
EA owning the rights to football games

This may be way overboard but couldn't EA just publish a football game for SEGA? I mean EA would still be making money on the deal and SEGA could do the same for EA's baseball game, they could each make a killing on the others license?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2005, 01:32 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: EA owning the rights to football games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddenplyr
This may be way overboard but couldn't EA just publish a football game for SEGA? I mean EA would still be making money on the deal and SEGA could do the same for EA's baseball game, they could each make a killing on the others license?

Why would EA do that for Sega? Sega is no longer in the sports gaming business they are not going to do anything for anyone regarding sports.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Why would EA do that for Sega? Sega is no longer in the sports gaming business they are not going to do anything for anyone regarding sports.

I guess he means 2K sports/ Take Two or whoever. But I agree, EA's aim was clear when this and subsequent deals were struck... It's not only about moolah, I'd say it's mainly about stifling any and all competition-- NAMELY the 2K series. (which leads to more moolah...)

Like this graemlin is doing:

... and I'm almost to the point where I wouldn't WANT 2k to have the NFL license. Let them put out a superior game to EA without an NFL/NFLPA license and I'd eat it up. I love rootin' for the little man!
Old 02-28-2005, 02:14 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddenplyr
No. Aint gonna happen. Egos are involved.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:03 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Money and Power is involved. EA wants to control and dominate every aspect of the gaming industry. They have different slogans to prove that. The thing is there are alot of people who don't like Microsoft because they were the big whigs!!!!!!!! Now EA is doing the same thing, so lets see how many people jump on the I can't stand EA bandwagon? I stopped playing and buying them this year. I do feel ESPN was a better product this year and a much much much much better rendition of SIMULATION football than Madden. I don't care how the players move, its the gang tackles etc etc etc that has me loving ESPN. I hope Take Two gets the NBA lisence as well. EA has the rights to Fifa but winning eleven 8 is a much much much better soccer game. I hope take two does the same, just smash EA until EA can get it right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2005, 09:18 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 9

Hey goob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberstabone
Let them put out a superior game to EA without an NFL/NFLPA license and I'd eat it up.
I agree. It can be a superior title WITHOUT the NFL, however, the game MUST be FULLY customizable, allowing us, the gamers, to create a game that resembles the NFL as closely as possible. This includes things like:
  • Drawing team logos using a blank drawing pallet-type of interface. Then have the ability to place those logos on custom-colored helmets.
  • Team uniform creator.
  • Stadium builder.
  • Fan creator with the ability to copy and paste the logos you created into their shirts, caps, signs, etc.
  • Customizable graphic overlays with gamer-created logos and team names.
  • Customizable commentary where you can 'teach' the game to pronounce real team names.
  • Customizable stadium graphics along with customizable end zone and field graphics.
  • Creation of trophies that resemble the Vince Lombardi Trophy, the AFC and NFC Championship Trophies.
  • Customizable player names for easily identified positions. Like #4's jersey saying FAVRE on the back in Green Bay.

If Take Two can pull all of this off for Xbox Next in 2006, then we would really have something!
Old 03-02-2005, 09:41 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Lord_Vader
  • Drawing team logos using a blank drawing pallet-type of interface. Then have the ability to place those logos on custom-colored helmets.
  • Team uniform creator.
  • Stadium builder.

If Take Two can pull all of this off for Xbox Next in 2006, then we would really have something!
in addition, they need a logo editor. They can have 100 or more logos in the game already with the option to "edit logo" with a full assortment of drawing tools, effects, and extensive color pallete. That way if you don't want to, you don't have to come up with something from scratch.
Make the thing a two-disc deal. One disc strictly for graphics. Priced at $34.99

Last edited by gooberstabone; 03-02-2005 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 11

Man I cant believe this thread still even exists. The wishful thinking before was tolerable but now its getting downright ridiculous. I hate EA and the NFL for what they did. They killed my favorite sports game period. But people you gotta let it die. Stop with the Jesse Jackson "Keep Hope Alive" posts. The wishful thinking. The far reaching rumors that you hear or fabricate to put yourselves in a fantasy world to convince yourselved something other than the probable invetiable which is EA=Football Game. Take Two = None. Get out of your state of denial, its getting to the point where they are going to need to start a "counseling" thread and hire some Psychiatrist to help alot of you cope and deal with this. Im usually a glass half full person, but reason is reason and I have kept my sense of reality in tact. The chances of all the happy hopeful things people post on this thread becoming a reality is about the same chance I have of a 3-way with Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »