Home

Looks like there will be a football game next year

This is a discussion on Looks like there will be a football game next year within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2005, 02:51 PM   #33
L.A. to S.D. to HI

Boltman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Looks like there will be a football game next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwesnyc
There is a game being made right now, forgot who is the publisher but they are making a rpg football game. It was going to be based on the espn tv show "the playmakers" intill ea bought out espn brand. They have since changed there name, but its still being made. So it is feasable!!!

Not that I do not believe you, but by any chance......do you have a link for said info?
Old 03-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 1

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/b...s_6118816.html

Sorry, I was being lazy.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:03 PM   #35
Rookie

In addition rpg's in sports might start making a splash. In mlb 2006 there is a career mode. You are a baseball playing who is trying to make his way into the major league. You do spring training, then get put in the minors. Then you work out at the gym etc and try to get promoted.

the 2k nfl games have had first person football, so atleast someone in the company was interested in making you feel as if you were a single player in the game. I happened to hate it because it gave me motion sickness, but the idea of being incontrol of just a single player is an interesting concept they could explore.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2005, 04:33 PM   #36
Rookie

Patman's Arena

OVR: 4

Sports RPG's tend to fail due to lack of options and repetition, and I don't see either of those going away. The game would be too small of a niche....

Now, what if (hypothetical) you went the other way, and made yourself a game that customization features that blows other games out of the water. I don't just mean shoelace tie knots or some sort of tribal tattoo that only 3 people can ever hope to understand (neither being player nor artist), but we look at it in another vein... put together enough mechanics to go and build the tools... to put together something that could be "any league". That is, put enough of a construction together for an "NFL", but also allow custom options to set entire rule sets and the like to set up the... "CFL"... NCAA (multi-division?)... High School... this is just an idea and it would take a lot of work, but I've always thought if it is possible to make your game "any game" then you've got a winner. Of course for that you'd need a killer player development engine and a lot of other things, but as we've seen through the WE8/PS3 community, give people enough time with the right tools and they can give you everything, just look at those people who have painstakingly reconstructed logos, not via importer, but with their own eyes. I think this is where the gold lies... but it would take some technical brilliance and real flash to pull it off... this is just something to throw out there though, obviously you sacrifice certain elements with an idea like this that you do with a licensed game (mascot items, arena features, so on.)

If they did this EA might not have an answer.... but even the above is a longshot.

UConn Grad Student/TA
UMass-Lowell B.S. Math '04
Old 03-08-2005, 05:25 PM   #37
Pro

Patman, the idea is already being worked on for the PC. Check this out:

http://www.maximum-football.com/

Now, this is a one man company, more-or-less, and he is just doing it for the PC. The idea is interesting though. One football game that does NFL, CFL, and Arena football. Plus you can create your own custom league with the rules you want.

Now, imagine if VC took this idea and built a similar type football game for console gamers? With the time factor, I think they can only do a generic pro football game this year, but by next year? Or even 2007?

VC could have a game engine built to play all types of football. Imagine going in and being able to use the same game to play NFL, CFL, Arena, College or High School football. The rules and gameplay adjusts according to what you select.

Very ambitious? Certainly. I think it would take 2-3 years to develop. In the meantime VC can just do a pro and college version.

EA would HATE this with a passion. They want to sell you each individual type of football. NFL, College, and Arena football at $50 each.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:40 PM   #38
Rookie

Patman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCdolphin
Patman, the idea is already being worked on for the PC. Check this out:

http://www.maximum-football.com/

Now, this is a one man company, more-or-less, and he is just doing it for the PC. The idea is interesting though. One football game that does NFL, CFL, and Arena football. Plus you can create your own custom league with the rules you want.

Now, imagine if VC took this idea and built a similar type football game for console gamers? With the time factor, I think they can only do a generic pro football game this year, but by next year? Or even 2007?

VC could have a game engine built to play all types of football. Imagine going in and being able to use the same game to play NFL, CFL, Arena, College or High School football. The rules and gameplay adjusts according to what you select.

Very ambitious? Certainly. I think it would take 2-3 years to develop. In the meantime VC can just do a pro and college version.

EA would HATE this with a passion. They want to sell you each individual type of football. NFL, College, and Arena football at $50 each.
I've seen the maximum football thing before, but I believe he (David Winter) pre-sets the customizations.

edit: the Xenon specs are out as well, if the disks are 7GB of material, as long as the logic could be coded down correctly something like this could blow EA out of the water... of course, EA will have an extremely polished and flashed out product... we'll have to see, but if other company's devolpers are saying things about a game you've gotta figure they've got a NASTY ace up their sleeve.

UConn Grad Student/TA
UMass-Lowell B.S. Math '04

Last edited by Patman; 03-08-2005 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:55 PM   #39
Rookie

If they could do everything you say, then there is no reason they can't make a rpg that doesn't have a " lack of options and repetition "
Your idea sounds great, but would take as much work as making a rpg sports game truly great.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:39 PM   #40
Rookie

Well, my idea wasn't completely intended as an RPG. The focus would always be the next game. But, instead of a "weekly prep" menu, you would have to actually do the repetitions and such. Instead of just having a menu tell you what is happening, you would have to complete the training yourself like the old SNES Madden's in the combine thing they had. Or more recently the Fight Night series. Games are evolving and we need more interactivity than collecting madden cards and setting ticket/concession prices. As for the social life aspect, I thought it would be a great way to implement a fan favorite/schmuck aspect and discipline could follow. Imagine you go out partying, get drunk, drive home, get arrested. The league would fine your player and he'd get a suspension. You wouldn't be able to play those games, but you could watch them if you wanted to. Or you could choose to go to a charity event and get more fan support which in turn would give you a ratings boost when playing at home. I think there are tons of possibilities here and this may be the best thing for the VC/Take Two team to shoot for. I don't need it this season, but it would be nice to see a Football game as solid as ESPN 2k5 move towards greatness by including a mode like this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »