Home

Do you think this could be an option that 2K is planning?

This is a discussion on Do you think this could be an option that 2K is planning? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2005, 05:06 PM   #9
Think Different

onetonmartin's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Do you think this could be an option that 2K is planning?

nice idea.. I would hold off from buying any 2k6 title with the assumption of a revamped 2k7 Xbox2 game coming out and knocking my socks off. It would be pretty cool if we could keep getting roster updates until then too even though it's unlikely to happen.

:::Way To Think Positive:::
Old 03-17-2005, 02:37 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 4

Lord Vader has spoken! Having a generic pro game at the Xbox Next launch would not be a bad thing, but it would be limiting the potential buyers to -what? A million or so?

Compare that to the 10 million or so Xbox owners in North America. Would you rather sell a game to a million potential customers, or ten million? Nevermind all the PS2 owners? The numbers say support the Xbox and PS2 first, then maybe have another version ready for the Xbox Next.

Modifying 2K5 would seem to be the best way to go. The real work would be building a graphic/game engine for the Xbox Next. Did VC start work on one last year? Or are they stretched too thin?

Time will tell.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:22 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by medlinke
So, if they have no release this year from that team that would mean that revenue from the other franchises within Take2 would have to sell enough to cover not only THEIR development expenses, but ALSO the development expenses for a team that released no product.

Like I said...it's not impossible, but it seems HIGHLY unlikely that their plan is to release nothing, but keep people employed and working.

If I had to guess...They'd leave the current version alone and maybe fix some bugs, but spend a lot of time removing the NFL likenesses covered in the Exclusivity deal with EA.

Further, it would allow them to keep those programmers in house, paid, and ready to work towards the Next Gen series. Remember, XBox is only 1 of 3 that will come out for the Next Gen consoles, so putting all their eggs in the XBox basket may not be the best deal.
Probably the best post on this subject yet! I've been saying that Take 2 ain't paying VC's 2K Football development team for nothing! If no game was on the horizon, those guys would be laid off...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2005, 11:09 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 4

How would you know if they were laid off?
Old 03-19-2005, 09:55 AM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fortheroad
There would be an announcement, just like there was recently when EA laid off people *LINK*
Old 03-19-2005, 10:38 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I will not comment on what 2k is planning, but I will say this, for all the naysayers about them developing a game, even EA EXPECTS them to do something.

http://sports.ign.com/articles/596/596975p1.html
In an interview at IGN, EA Employee Todd Sitrin had this to say about competition and innovation.

Quote:
Todd Sitrin: I think innovation has to do with the people who are creating the products, and the people who create those products are different than the ones who make these sorts of business deals. When we create products, it's all about the love of the sport and creating great video games, and I think we have an incredible track record of being able to do that. People's passion for what they want to add to the game is not deterred by anything that's going on in the business side of things. I think consumers would agree that Madden has led, in most regards, with many innovations throughout its 15 years, and they're going to see the exact same thing this year and they're going to see it heading into the future. The other thing that I would say along those lines is that competition can be defined many ways, and there's going to be football games out there that take a different approach than we're going to be taking. There are non-sports games that are competitors, and people can choose to play those as well. They don't have to play our games. It's not like any competition is going away, and I think that the companies that were there last year are going to be there this year. They'll just have different types of products. We understand that we have to earn every customer and that always starts and ends with innovation.
Even EA expects there to be other types of games out there. So your theory's as to whether VC has gone and died are not shared by even EA. Now of course VC/TT was not mentioned explicitly here, but nonetheless, EA doesn't expect the competition to disappear like alot of people around here and other places do. Like I said, I will not comment on VC/TT. And I have stayed out of this discussion intentionally because without some good evidence, it's just conceptual ideas rolling around and presented as facts when they are not. Now we have some evidence. Even EA expects those prior competitors to put games on the market. Take Two, Midway, 989 we know own football development teams. Ubisoft just purchased the Fever technology (along with other first party MS sports, Inside Drive, Rivals, Insie Pitch ) and code from Microsoft about a month ago, they are looking to get into the mix.

In the end EA will be the only developer with a licensed football game, but they still expect competitors.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:41 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fortheroad
C'mon man! This is the information era!!! It might not make the Wall Street Journal, but it would be out there. Any PUBLICLY traded company's info isn't secret. Plus, the talent from VC's football development team would show up in other places...maybe even at EA/Tiburon. If you recall, EA advised when they made layoffs as did Microsoft Game Studios. Take 2 would do the same.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2005, 05:49 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpdump66
C'mon man! This is the information era!!! It might not make the Wall Street Journal, but it would be out there. Any PUBLICLY traded company's info isn't secret. Plus, the talent from VC's football development team would show up in other places...maybe even at EA/Tiburon. If you recall, EA advised when they made layoffs as did Microsoft Game Studios. Take 2 would do the same.
Actually it probably would make the Wall Street Journal since it is a publicly traded company.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »