Home

Licences don't make better games

This is a discussion on Licences don't make better games within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 08:42 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Licences don't make better games

You guys are REALLY REACHING with this fully editable thing. VC was already working on 2k6 and then the news hit. Thus they had to go back and rethink and rework, what will stay and what will go. There was NO plan other than to release a game called NFL2k6 but the news eliminated that. An editor like you guys are referring to isn't going to happen, if it does you'd really have to give alot of credit for them getting it in. But I think you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment if you EXPECT one.

Second, I don't get it. First you say license don't matter, then second you want a fully customizable game. Why is this? Because you want what the licensed game has, player names, stadiums ect. IF it doesn't matter as you say, why not get any game and just play as is? The truth is, that license means more to most people than they are willing to admit.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:59 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
An editor like you guys are referring to isn't going to happen, if it does you'd really have to give alot of credit for them getting it in. But I think you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment if you EXPECT one.
I never said it was going to be finished this year. They might release something, but I agree that it's wishfull thinking to expect VC to do so much in a year. I'm sure Take 2 realised this was a long term project, knowing that the NFL licence was tied up for 5 years.

Quote:
Second, I don't get it. First you say license don't matter, then second you want a fully customizable game. Why is this? Because you want what the licensed game has, player names, stadiums ect. IF it doesn't matter as you say, why not get any game and just play as is? The truth is, that license means more to most people than they are willing to admit.
The licence doesn't matter. If we can have a fully editable game, all the licence means is an NFL sticker on the front of the box. We'll have a game where we can play as our favorite teams and create great fantasy teams. Imagine going on-line with your own logos, team and Stadium as well as having the NFL stuff edited into a Dynasty mode. It's all good.... Take 2 Know that (they brought VC after the NFL deal was done)
Old 03-28-2005, 06:06 AM   #11
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Totally agreed. I want the NFL stuff in there. The first step is for VC to make it customizable which to the degree they need to do would take a ton of work. They haven't even fixed the roster management in the game for five years (no truly global depth chart or position changes) so this sounds bleak.

Second, even if customizable there aren't a ton of people out there with a max drive, sharkport, etc to download the rosters. A lot of casual gamers don't know about this stuff or don't care. They would almost have to include this device to make people aware of file sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havis
On top of that, as I said before, the gameplay is far superior to FIFA.
While I slightly prefer 2K5 to Madden this isn't the case generally speaking.

I would love to see a customizable game and would definately buy one but I want the NFL and its players. If they make a college game, high school game, not fully editable game, I won't be interested and it will be Madden 2006 for me (despite my initial protest).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2005, 07:12 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

Pes4 when it was released was a great game without much of a licence.
A few days later updated roster files appeared.
and then new option files appeared from hardcore fans who changed absolutely everything to make it look so realistic.
since then roster editors have been released so anyone can do their own editing on their pc beofre transfering it to their concole.

...from what i know, none of that was released by konami or whoever created the game.
just from people who liked to create their own editors.

...take 2 have upto the end of july/beginning of august to make the game they want before its too late to change anything for the release date.
(thats if they decide to sell a game this year and release for the start of the new season).
Old 03-28-2005, 07:27 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
You guys are REALLY REACHING with this fully editable thing. VC was already working on 2k6 and then the news hit. Thus they had to go back and rethink and rework, what will stay and what will go. There was NO plan other than to release a game called NFL2k6 but the news eliminated that. An editor like you guys are referring to isn't going to happen, if it does you'd really have to give alot of credit for them getting it in. But I think you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment if you EXPECT one.

I think the original poster said if not this year then next. I myself dont think they could put that in by this years release and make a quality game. I would rather wait this year and have them release a customizable title in two years.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:18 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 5

What it boils down to I suppose is whether you are optimistic or pessimistic about the new game that Take 2 and VC will create. I'm optimistic; I think sports gamers are in for something special, because VC is a company that has never gone by half measures.

I personally think that they will strive to re-define the genre and succeed with a "Total Football" game that is fully editable so that those that want an NFL, College, High School or total fantasy game can have what ever they want; and the complaints about "this wasn't there" or "they didn't put that in" will become a thing of the past as groups such as OS will be responsible for the stadia and uniform designs themselves.

I don't think VC will have the finished article finished this year, but EA seems to getting their act together after a poor 2004, so I'll be happy if they iron out the problems with the Xbox version of NCAA football for my football gaming kicks. Then next year..... something special's going to come along, if you're an optimist like me, and EA might just have shot themselves in the foot.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:55 AM   #15
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
An editor like you guys are referring to isn't going to happen, if it does you'd really have to give alot of credit for them getting it in.
I disagree LB. Take Two is currently working on a fully-customizable generic pro football title as I am typing this. It is real hush-hush right now because it is still well over a year away. Look for it to make its debut in fall 2006 on the next-gen consoles.

I think nobody will argue that licenses are important to gamers. If we purchase sports games for our love of sports, then it makes sense that we do so to simulate the real experience as closely as possible. When something happens like the EA deal that removes logos, visuals and names from our gaming experience, the next logical step is to SIMULATE the missing elements as closely as possible. This is why I don't think there is any sort of hypocrisy or anything like that for gamers wanting to create and place the Cowboys' logos on the helmets, the star on the field and even the hole in the stadium's roof. This way, the game company does not get in trouble, and, gamers can get what they want with a little effort and creativity on their part.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2005, 10:22 AM   #16
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny
I think the original poster said if not this year then next. I myself dont think they could put that in by this years release and make a quality game. I would rather wait this year and have them release a customizable title in two years.
Well said vinny. I would rather wait for a well-done, fully customizable game in 2006. Trying to rush it our now would hurt it more than help it.

In the meantime, what do you plan on doing when football video gaming fever comes around again this August? Purchase Madden?
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »