Home

Generic football revisited

This is a discussion on Generic football revisited within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-05-2005, 11:32 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 26
Generic football revisited

From Dec 04 after the deal, I put some ideas in the air hoping VC would take a look and try to implement some of these ideas. Its recycled info, as some of you may already know. With Blitz the league coming to the fore front, I'm wishing 2K come out with some info as we approach E3. So come out, come out whereever you are. I know some of you guys can take some of this info and refine it, and I'm hoping you do so. Take what we have in 2K and expound on it NBA game dynamic on the fly attribute icons, player personality types a/b/c, College Hoops name database NFL game face blending technology, coaches vip and somehow sign a coach agreement ect...

A generic professional football game, can and will have the NFL flavor we have grown to love.

Point #1: VC, can still use the NFL coaches, which will give us great plays for the strategy needed. Just remember ESPN2K5 was the first year of V.I.P.

Point #2: VC, can use the last name in the database, the city name, and those city teams colors. It was done on Madden N64.

Point #3: VC, can take an idea already implemented in there basketball games to help you get to know your players, i.e. player personality types ala ESPN NBA 2k5. In addittion to that add skill player icons just like the NBA game. E.G. Skill position icons. WR if he is fast, put a foot icon next to him, IF he can catch, put a hand icon, if he is a standout with high skill level put a star next too him. Keep Icons visible until the snap of the ball. This can go across the board for all skill positions, it will help with scouting, and how you attack the other team. So John Doe, is not just John Doe, with ability icons next too him, he now becomes JOHN DOE if you know what I mean.

So for those who say the blandness of not having an NFL license will detract from the game are right but, there are ways to get totally immersed. Still NFL strategy i.e. coaches, also knowing who your studs are ala ability icons and personality types. VC, can truly move into the emotional side of the game.

Ability Icons/Player personality, the more I think about it, the more I feel that this is the way to go, I believe its the only solution to surplant the lack of, NFL players. Here's my early list of Ability icons, let me know whatcha think. Obviously taken from the NBA game and some addittions.

ICON Ability

Foot Speed(for those players with a speed rating 87 or higher)
CrossHair QB/FG kicker, that is an accurate thrower or FG kicker
Pancake for good to great OLine blockers
Blanket for great shutdown corners
? Mark this one has many options and its for the gamer to figure
out, personality problem, or puzzled about his assignment
coupled with weekly prep, you can hone in on the prob-
lem and minimize/maximize the situation.

A Star Of course this is a guy who is gifted, and can either do
things at a high level.

Hand Players that can catch

1stAid icon For players playing hurt.

I know you guys are saying, thats too much on the screen, let me remind you, that this is all presnap and icons can change just like the NBA game, from moment to moment. I think VC calls it on the fly ability icons. But it will used as a great scouting tool and also allows you too see what type of player you have on your squad. Without looking at ratings and because they are not NFL players, makes it easy too identify star players and how they should perform.

Another thing, that could solidfy the generic genre of professional football. Is the face blending technology that VC introduce in 2k5, so their will not be silohette, you will at least put a face to the name. Yes I know it duplicated faces, but that was year one of the technology and it will probably do the same in year two, but the fact still remains that you will put a face to the name. Or they could go the NBA route of making the face polygonal, the ones that they used for the classic NBA teams, these are pretty good looking models.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2005, 01:38 AM   #2
Sideshow Bob!

throwmonkey's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Generic football revisited

Point 2 is partially false. Madden 64 had the NFLPA license, just not the NFL license. That's why it could still have the real names. Take 2 can do the color and city name thing but not the real player names.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:12 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwmonkey
Point 2 is partially false. Madden 64 had the NFLPA license, just not the NFL license. That's why it could still have the real names. Take 2 can do the color and city name thing but not the real player names.
That's true, however, you still can have surnames in the game. This is why, I suggested the CH2k5 name database. Names is so easy to get around, its simply a non issue.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:35 AM   #4
All Star

OVR: 21

I like the icon idea. Are the NFL coaches needed to have the "accurate" plays? I hadn't thought of using the NFL coaches in a generic game, but it would bring a bit of familiararity that the game would need. If they went that route, I'd say go after the guy being placed on a pedestal as one of the best head coaches ever - Bill Belichick Football, focusing on the x's and o's of pro football (not unlike Bill Walsh Football from back in the day). Just throwing it out there for thought/discussion.

My pet "need" to the game would be a little superficial but I think a necessity - cool uniforms. Think alternate/future versions of current NFL uniforms. No one can imagine a Pittsburgh team in anything but black and gold - but how would an alternate Steeler uni look? Given the way some NFL teams have changed uniforms and logos so much recently because they see the profitability of licensing, non-licensed uniforms may not be a huge issue to get around. Make the uniforms familiar but have that "new" feel to them. If VC were able to come up with cool enough uniforms that also gave players some familiar feel of playing with their NFL counterparts I think it would make accepting a non-licensed game that much more palatable.

They could also go the less complicated Midway Blitz route and try to establish a league with it's own identity. Would be much easier to get off the ground, and if established, easier to maintain and take in whatever direction they choose. But I think it'd be difficult to get people to accept it. I think the key for VC is to sell the gameplay, not the personalities.

It's a really daunting task either way they go. If they (or Midway, for that matter) can pull it off... it'd be scary to think the high regard they'd be held in.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
Banned

Coaches are the way to go, just look at CH2K5 this game is based on coaches. Coaches thropy room, coaching carosel, coaching profile the whole game is based on coaching. The game already has a coaching mode. This is the perfect time to get a play editor, not create a play, but a play editor. Something limited so the end user doesn't cheese the game and change the AI logic. A play editor(off/def) limited amount of plays were as you can change assignments routes, QB drops, blocking, coverages, blitzes, and DL assignments for each week in weekly prep and then you go to practice mode and try too coach your guys up. And, depended upon his ability(football IQ) and at the end of the week you will see how the player progress or regress. But, you want know if he knows the play that well until you get too the line of scrimage, simply because its a crap shot. You call your play and the WR gets too the line of scrimmage and a ? mark icon appears(presnap) and you are like damn(yor primary WR) so you do a route edit a slant and the ?mark is still there. You don't if he's going to run the right route.

My vision is you call a play. You get to the line of scrimmage your pre reads are not only the defense, but the ability icons are there for you and you see that the DB's on both sides are shutdown corners or have great cover skills, because you see an on the fly ability icon associated with him i.e. a small blanket per se and the MLB and FS have small book next to his feet(Reads Off. very well) Now they are all over your play. With the audibling system that 2k has you change the play, now the Defense and Offense ability Icons change thats how dynamic it should be.

Last edited by backbreaker; 04-06-2005 at 09:39 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2005, 09:48 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 9

Backbreaker, I like the Icon idea, but i would like to have the ability to turn those on or off. I personally would like to engage in a game with someone that has a good knowledge of the "NFL" players themselves rather than relying on an Icon to tell me that "Champ Bailey" is a shutdown corner.

Of course, the icons would help if you are dealing with generic players, but when someone takes the time to implement all the real NFL players names, i would like to turn then off.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:52 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangpow
Backbreaker, I like the Icon idea, but i would like to have the ability to turn those on or off. I personally would like to engage in a game with someone that has a good knowledge of the "NFL" players themselves rather than relying on an Icon to tell me that "Champ Bailey" is a shutdown corner.

Of course, the icons would help if you are dealing with generic players, but when someone takes the time to implement all the real NFL players names, i would like to turn then off.
Thats cool on or off. Bang, do you play any basketball games? if so its not a distraction when you see a 3 next to a player, you know that he's a 3 point shooter. These icons are readily available and a staple in NBA and college games.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:59 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbreaker
Thats cool on or off. Bang, do you play any basketball games? if so its not a distraction when you see a 3 next to a player, you know that he's a 3 point shooter. These icons are readily available and a staple in NBA and college games.
Yes, i am a big fan of ESPN CH2K5.

I like to see the icons when playing that game because there are so many players in college hoops and i don't follow it nearly as closely as the NFL.

I agree that the icons are a great idea for the game, but with the ability to turn them on or off. Because it's almost like showing the defenses weakness without having to figure it out for yourself throughout the course of the game. Which is fine for more of the casual gamers out there, but some of the hardcores out there want to try to figure it out as the game goes on, for the challenge of it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »