Home

Can A Robust Online Experience Save 2K?

This is a discussion on Can A Robust Online Experience Save 2K? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-10-2005, 05:42 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Can A Robust Online Experience Save 2K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fortheroad
You would have to reprogram the entire engine. You cannot just go in and change a line of code for one foot in bounds. You also have to change the animation and physics of the play. Not just the stadiums but also over 100 more teams.
I think they could have limited the teams to the Top 30. In EA's NCAA Football, no one played with the mid-major teams online. If T2 provided enough teams to make a nice league, that would be fine for me.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:52 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 4

That would be a very bad idea. From what year would you pick the top 30 teams from? I am sure each and every team was used by someone on EA NCAA Football. To limit the game to just a few teams would be a waste. If you went with only the top 30, how would the confrences by aligned. If there was only 30 teams it would not be NCAA football.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:34 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

I agree on some parts, but come talk like it was close last year. 2K was ten times better. you are right about the online though and I think there generic sim will be better than madden's offering anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2005, 09:06 PM   #12
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10

I think online is all Take2/VC has. If they released last years game with fake teams and tweaked the AI, I would buy it. But the mass majority would not.

I am sure that Take2/VC would save money by not having to pay the NFL license fees, but I hope it is enough to produce a kick a$$ football game.

I say offer everything we could do offline last year, online. Like many of you stated, Franchises, drafts, salary cap, etc.

When I used to play Madden on the PC, before 2k sports took me away, I really enjoyed customizing my own teams uniforms.

Hopefully they will blow us away at E3 with a major announcement and a teaser trailer or something. If not, this will be a looooong five years of video game football.

I, like most, said that I would play NFL 2k5 forever, but I am already bored with it. Still a great game, but everything gets old after a few months. Cheap shot at Madden And since Madden has been the same game for over 5 years, that engine is really old and way outdated.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:56 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fortheroad
That would be a very bad idea. From what year would you pick the top 30 teams from? I am sure each and every team was used by someone on EA NCAA Football. To limit the game to just a few teams would be a waste. If you went with only the top 30, how would the confrences by aligned. If there was only 30 teams it would not be NCAA football.
EA owns the rights to the usage of the BCS format and the names of the Bowl games as well. I would not worry about conferences and the like. If you had the traditional powerhouses (Michigan, Tennessee, Florida State, Oklahoma, Texas, etc) that should be enough. People tend to play with the same teams anyway. Make it more for online play than for franchise and it should be OK.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:19 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 4

The seems like an incompete game to me, Tecmo Bowl got away with it. I could not see paying money for a game with just a few teams in it. So you want an online only game with 30 teams? What about the people who do not play online? I am one of the people that will take the bad teams, and make an attempt to make them good.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:54 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 13

I honestly believe that it will.

I believe that hardcore 2K gamers will continue to play this game regardless of the license. I sincerely hope that Take Two will continue to improve on the gameplay issues themselves (QB Spy, DB AI, etc). I think that if they also tighten up the well-documented franchise issues in the game, it can hold its own in sales.

I for one have no intention of buying Madden this year. I don't think that EA will do enough to improve the game this year.

Just my $.02.

BigBlue
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2005, 09:30 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Before going robust online they need to make sure they have GLITCH FREE online. All of this drop glitching in all of its variations, nonsensical subs for kickoff and punt return, easy to block extra points and FG's. I've had my share of legit wins and losses, then there were some guys who are rated in the top 100 whom I completely destroyed (I'm talking scores like 35-7, 42-6) but it's like we never played because at the end, they pause, let the clock count down and then drop glitch. To be honest I got my satisfaction from beating the hell out of them, but alot of people are not going to be VC's friends if they don't fix that.

Played one guy rated in the top 10 it was him 7-6 going into the half, but that's because he blocked the FG. He simply selected a 43 defense, took the DT and ran right in. Two blockers just looked at him run in and didn't even TRY to block him. Then I got trapped into bad field position and had to punt, well he blocked the punt. That's not bad except he blocked EVERY punt after that. This is a fault of the playbook you should have different formations. You should have normal punt, protection punt, spread punt and all kinds of plays. Not going to get into some other things, but they gotta fix stuff like that. With the kicking it's a matter of plays and fixing SOME of the blocking. You don't want to make it where it cannot be blocked at all, but you gotta make it make sense to where if the kicking team is in protect punt, it's hard as hell to get in and block. But protect punt should be weaker versus the return. That shouldn't mean automatic TD, but it should mean weaker coverage.

Last edited by LBzrule; 04-11-2005 at 09:32 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »