Home

Can A Robust Online Experience Save 2K?

This is a discussion on Can A Robust Online Experience Save 2K? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2005, 12:49 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Can A Robust Online Experience Save 2K?

Ok fellas, the NFL thing is dead. EA won. 'Nuff said! If T2/VC does anything...it will be on the generic tip since we know they aren't putting a College Football game out. Midway's already full speed ahead with a generic, over-the-top offering. Obviously, their schtick is OVER THE TOP play! Surely, that will attract some younger gamers.

But in the case of T2, can a GREAT online experience breathe life in a licenseless football SIM? I mean, they will NEVER reach Madden numbers, but can they survive? ESPNvideogames League Play was pretty darn good this year, especially on the BOX. EA had some nice online features, but I give the nod to ESPN. This might be an area EA still lags behind.

I know there are some franchise guys out there, but I generally play a season or two of franchise mode, then it is all online play and leagues. I have played both Madden online as well as ESPN. Frankly, if ESPN was generic, moderately priced, and had league support...I'd still buy it. I think the online play was better and the league support was 100% better. Yeah, I'll still buy Madden, but maybe T2's groove is to get US to buy their game...in addition to Madden! Having a great online experience helps that goal!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2005, 01:58 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: Can A Robust Online Experience Save 2K?

You made me think of an idea.

What if 2k focused on the online aspect of the game more then the single player mode.

They could start fictitious online leagues where people would pick teams and then actually draft their players in real time, or randomized if the time constraint would be too much of a problem.

It would be a real living breathing league.

It would have everything the NFL does. Combines, offseason, draft. That would be amazing.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 12

I agree. I suggested this a while back but everyone just ignored my idea. I think they should totally concentrate on online play. They already have the edge here and with a little more work could blow EA out of the water (in online play). The key here is ONLINE MULTI YEAR FRANCHISE MODE. With salary caps, online drafts, scouting and free agents.. etc.. Like I said before once you get a few years into a franchise real players names don't really matter any more. I hope they don't just lay down and die.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:12 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKing
I agree. I suggested this a while back but everyone just ignored my idea. I think they should totally concentrate on online play. They already have the edge here and with a little more work could blow EA out of the water (in online play). The key here is ONLINE MULTI YEAR FRANCHISE MODE. With salary caps, online drafts, scouting and free agents.. etc.. Like I said before once you get a few years into a franchise real players names don't really matter any more. I hope they don't just lay down and die.
I really think VC & Take 2's strength is the online playability of their games. EA will obviously copy the successes of VC's League Play model, but VC could improve upon what they already have and maybe be a step ahead. As we all know, there is a large % of gamers who want nothing but the NFL likenesses, but there still might be a market of gamers who want an alternative. Online boxing can be done with a created fighter, basketball (ESPN) allows you to play one-on-one with a created player online. Why can't a "fictitious" team work.

Think about it. When you are competing online, does it really matter if you have an NFL team or not? Personally, I just want to kick my opponents %$#@ !!!
Old 04-09-2005, 11:21 PM   #5
Rookie

It's possible that a comprehensive set of online features could make 2k6 worth playing. But, even though I've lost all love for EA Sports and have no plans on buying the next Madden unless it blows me away, I'm equally dissappointed in Take 2. My first thought when I heard about THE deal was that Take 2 and VC goofed up by not having a college game in place. They could have easily fell back onto the college game for a few years until the NFL deal ran out. As we move closer to e3, im starting to believe that take 2 has no plans to make a football game. I think we would've heard something by now...at least a tentative idea or something. Games take time to develop, so I think we definitely would have heard something by now. In the case that take 2 doesn't completely bow out of the football genre, they better focus on customization and online feature set if they want to have a chance. Of course, I'd buy just about anything using the 2K5 engine, but I'm not exactly Joe Shmoe casual gamer, and that's who counts the most with game sales.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2005, 12:18 AM   #6
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac2k3
even though I've lost all love for EA Sports and have no plans on buying the next Madden unless it blows me away, I'm equally dissappointed in Take 2. My first thought when I heard about THE deal was that Take 2 and VC goofed up by not having a college game in place. They could have easily fell back onto the college game for a few years until the NFL deal ran out.
yep

grab a cup of coffee: NCAA in 2004?

Last edited by Kanobi; 04-10-2005 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:44 PM   #7
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

Help me out here...

While I understand that the NFL and college are different...why would it have been so hard for them to change once they heard EA got the deal? I can't imagine chaning uniforms and players is all THAT difficult...they'd have to defintely change commentary and all--I get that. And little rule changes like one feet in bounds is a catch...fall onto the ground and your down...etc.

So what would've made it so hard to change it into a college game? I guess maybe it would've been hard to replicate stadiums...or atmosphere...?
Old 04-10-2005, 04:11 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 4

You would have to reprogram the entire engine. You cannot just go in and change a line of code for one foot in bounds. You also have to change the animation and physics of the play. Not just the stadiums but also over 100 more teams.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »