Home

Do you think No News is good news?

This is a discussion on Do you think No News is good news? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: DO you think that No news is good news
Yes 12 8.57%
No 66 47.14%
I am tired of speculating 47 33.57%
Who cares, I am a Madden Fan boy!!! 15 10.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2005, 06:16 PM   #17
MVP

drae2's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Do you think No News is good news?

[quote=LBzrule]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drae2

Actually, they had announced the game well ahead of E3. Second, the game appeared on Sega Sports list of games for E3. E3 will come and it will go, I hope people find some degree of satisfaction in whatever they see/hear and what they do not see/hear.

I don't remember that, but hey if I'm wrong, it won't be the last time. Whatever comes out of E3, people will not be satisfied, that's just human nature. But finally we'll find out soon, and all the speculation will end-and maybe people can move on (I doubt it though).
Old 04-29-2005, 06:32 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 3

I was a HUGE 2K series fan since Dreamcast. I will miss the series immensely. But I really think that it is gone for good(or at least this year). Seeing that these other games such as "Road To Sunday" and "Blitz Playmakers" are already promoting and expect to be shown at E3 in some demo version, if Take 2 had something up their sleeve- - now would be the time to at least throw out some "rumors" to create a buzz. It is May already and launch time would have to be Pre-Madden (late july) to get any type of decent sales figures before Madden takes over. So now would be the optimum time to create that buzz. Yet....we hear silence!

As evidenced by these other games to be released, the exclusivity contract between EA and the NFL had to be known in the industry long before the press got wind of it. I mean, Blitz & Road To Sunday had to be in the works long before January 2005. So if T2 was in the game, they'd be putting on the final 1/4th of the game as we speak and promoting it via websites like this one. Yet..we hear silence.

There is the outside chance that those who visit E3 will stumble upon a formerly "Top Secret" demo of a generic football game that T2 decided to surprise the gaming world with on E3' s opening day. If that occurrs...i'll be pleased. But it is not likely.

It's time we let ESPN become the martyr it is. Madden will never be able to compete with "what VC could have done". Let's play Madden and move on....
Old 04-29-2005, 07:24 PM   #19
All Star

OVR: 21

Color me extremely optimistic (or is it extremely hopeful, given the disappointing showing Madden's had so far), but I still feel there will be a game. I agree w/Dolphin; if companies like Midway and 989 can see some value in releasing a football game based off their existing engines, then I find it hard to believe VC doesn't see the value in theirs when it's so obvious to many gamers. While I'd love to see them release a tweaked game on the current systems, I'm beginning to think it may make more sense to focus their efforts on XBox360. If they are in fact doing that, then it really doesn't make much sense to release info on the game now because the release of the system isn't until late fall (I'm assuming).

If VC is coming out with a current gen game, I'd expect them to do some blowout a week or two before E3 so any news they have don't get caught in the overload of information that will come from the Expo (as they did last year). If they're going the XBox360 route, then I wouldn't expect to even hear much at E3, other than closed door showings or hints that something's being worked on.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:04 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 4

No news at E3, at least an announcement of a football game from VC/Take2, means the end of any real hope to me. The problem with an Xbox 360 version of VC football would be that the target audience would be limited to 2-3 million. Compare that to how many PS2 and Xbox consoles in homes right now? The bigger market, MUCH bigger market is with the older consoles. If VC really needs the extra time (a November launch for Xbox 360) to complete the game, then going next-gen makes more sense. They should have versions for the Xbox and PS2 anyway, even if they come out in November. The NFL season will still be going strong.

As for needing to launch before Madden? No, it isn't critical. Any VC game will appeal to 200,000 fans of VC football, and the rest of the sales will be from curious Madden gamers who pick the game up after playing the new Madden for a month or so. Price will be the critical element, and $20 is where the game needs to be, or price dropped there from $30 after a month or so.

Think of VC football as a supplemental football game for many gamers. A chance to play with custom features and enjoy new elements of pro football that the NFL would never allow (drug suspensions, late hits, graphic injuries, etc). It won't be a direct competitor with Madden, but it should find a niche market and be successful. Madden haters will have an alternative to buying Madden and Madden fans will have an interesting diversion-type game.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:19 AM   #21
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpdump66
I was a HUGE 2K series fan since Dreamcast. I will miss the series immensely. But I really think that it is gone for good(or at least this year). Seeing that these other games such as "Road To Sunday" and "Blitz Playmakers" are already promoting and expect to be shown at E3 in some demo version, if Take 2 had something up their sleeve- - now would be the time to at least throw out some "rumors" to create a buzz. It is May already and launch time would have to be Pre-Madden (late july) to get any type of decent sales figures before Madden takes over. So now would be the optimum time to create that buzz. Yet....we hear silence!

As evidenced by these other games to be released, the exclusivity contract between EA and the NFL had to be known in the industry long before the press got wind of it. I mean, Blitz & Road To Sunday had to be in the works long before January 2005. So if T2 was in the game, they'd be putting on the final 1/4th of the game as we speak and promoting it via websites like this one. Yet..we hear silence.

There is the outside chance that those who visit E3 will stumble upon a formerly "Top Secret" demo of a generic football game that T2 decided to surprise the gaming world with on E3' s opening day. If that occurrs...i'll be pleased. But it is not likely.

It's time we let ESPN become the martyr it is. Madden will never be able to compete with "what VC could have done". Let's play Madden and move on....

one of the features that VC implemented in nfl 2k5 and college hoops could be a precursor to the generic game. the face generator is something that could be used to keep people happy and the ability to change every name in college hoops could be added to a generic football title to appease the people who must have completely accurate rosters.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2005, 08:33 AM   #22
Pro

OVR: 4

1.i have a strong feeling (take two/vc) is hanging up the football reigns for now..

2.they'll put all that effort into bringing their other sports titles ,up to nfl2k5's standard.

screw EA and this deal--as we all know the same crappy madden game is coming out again...no change in that dumb running game engine,simple animations,and easier passing game....no 2k6 to let them know how football is really supposed to be on a videogame....MADDEN IS TEDDY BEAR/kids football
Old 05-01-2005, 11:44 AM   #23
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCdolphin
If VC really needs the extra time (a November launch for Xbox 360) to complete the game, then going next-gen makes more sense. They should have versions for the Xbox and PS2 anyway, even if they come out in November. The NFL season will still be going strong.
That was pretty much my train of thought (re the November release for a next gen game). There's no telling how the exclusivity news affected development for VC. I'm sure they weren't caught unaware, but you never know how difficult it may be for them to remove the NFL stamp from their engine. I would much rather see them release a generic game on the current consoles given that NFL2K5 was *that* close... Anyone who doubts the immense potential 2K's current engine had needs to try Ram209's roster edits/slider tweak combo at Complete set of sliders and Rosters for accurate Gameplay PART 2 . The DB play alone is worth purchasing an Action Replay, and the improved gameplay will make you hate the exclusivity deal all that much more for what might've been. That VC accomplished that in less than one year on the XBox is still amazing IMO.

But back on topic - I hadn't thought of releasing a generic title at a later date on the current consoles; it's actually a pretty good idea. The price point would practically guarantee sales, seeing as how Madden jumped right back to it's $50 price point w/o having to worry about VC as a direct competitor - how telling is that. And seeing as how Tiburon/EA hasn't been anywhere near as impressive as I thought they'd be with their early news and the direction they're taking next-gen, you know VC is either (a) chomping at the bit to jump back in, or (b) kicking themselves for not pursuing a generic title.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:40 AM   #24
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

Personally, I think that T2 has one more year with their contract with ESPN so they don't necessarily need to remove ESPN from their game. The only thing that they do need to do is see if they can get some type of deal with EA to produce the NFL game. Personally, if they make a substantial profit, I'd buy it. Why hasn't anyone thought about sending that idea to T2? I personally think they should strike a deal with EA to allow them to make a football game while EA is allowed to make baseball games. It could be a trade for a trade, otherwise allowing the consumer to win. Of course, both companies are throwing around the ball imprints in their pants, but hey, that's business. Anyhow, since T2 has the money for now, maybe they can make that deal.

I see that making a deal could set up 2K for games on the next gen and possibly retake the lead in innovation and things like that. I would love for them to just do that. I just don't know how much that would be out of their pocket with no garauntee that they'll get it back from sales. I'd get it for $40 I think. Maybe not, but I know many will. Not to mention how they could get people to make that switch to the next-gen console. So many possibilities with those thoughts.

I'm pretty sure that 2K will make a move. I don't know if they'll make one for the current console only because they may be trying to really sharpen up those conflicts with the baseball, hockey (RIP) and BASKETBALL titles. I'm praying that they increase in money. Whatever they gain from these might also determine if they can afford to make the other. So many possibilities with this. No news basically is no news. I'm tired of speculating. If it happens, it will happen. NFL is gay for taking money like that. EA is gay for pushing money like that and claiming that others would have made that move. Just heartless....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »