Home

Old 05-01-2005, 12:43 PM   #1
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
CPU QBs

Arguably the worst flaw in 2K5 is the CPU QBs decision making. They throw the ball at the wrong time and to the wrong people. There have been various attempts to fix this. Some have edited all the CPU QBs read coverage up along with consistency and possibly throwing power. Rocky has stated that actually reducing read coverage to less than 50 will improve their abilities. This is based on them taking longer to make their reads and therefore hitting guys at better times and focusing on the number 1 receivers.

Has anyone out there come up with a good way? Even with coverage sliders at 0 along with pursuit, the CPU QBs still play too poorly. Just looking for some help in this area.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: CPU QBs

This is what drove me COMPLETELY nuts about the game. I spent weeks editing, only to have the CPU throw ball after ball into double and triple coverage, and when other receivers were WIDE open.

A couple of things: First, Consistency is maybe the most important rating of all. Second, the CPU will continually throw to the receiver with the highest overall rating – and I believe this is a big part of the programming problem. I tested this a couple of times, and when the receivers all had the same overall ratings, the CPU started to spread the ball around properly from what I observed. Test that and see if you notice a difference.

Another thing: if Catch ratings aren’t high enough, the CPU won’t throw to the guy. You can test this by lowering a HB’s Catch rating, then calling screens in Coach mode. At one point when the HB’s ratings are low enough (45-50 Catch or so) the QB will NEVER throw the ball the HB, even when you call screen after screen.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:53 PM   #3
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
This is what drove me COMPLETELY nuts about the game. I spent weeks editing, only to have the CPU throw ball after ball into double and triple coverage, and when other receivers were WIDE open.

A couple of things: First, Consistency is maybe the most important rating of all. Second, the CPU will continually throw to the receiver with the highest overall rating – and I believe this is a big part of the programming problem. I tested this a couple of times, and when the receivers all had the same overall ratings, the CPU started to spread the ball around properly from what I observed. Test that and see if you notice a difference.

Another thing: if Catch ratings aren’t high enough, the CPU won’t throw to the guy. You can test this by lowering a HB’s Catch rating, then calling screens in Coach mode. At one point when the HB’s ratings are low enough (45-50 Catch or so) the QB will NEVER throw the ball the HB, even when you call screen after screen.

Good points. Plus the QB will most always throw to the primary route(the route in red) and if covered they will look elsewhere. That's good but with one problem. The route has to REALLY be covered to get QB's to look the other way. But from what I have observed lowering PRC ratings to 50 has made the QB play(not really the completion %) much better.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:19 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

see Ram209's complete slider and roster adjustments in the sliders section. all computer passing issues were solved for me. It was almost like playing a new game. the computer will exploit poorly skilled DB's and holes in the coverage as they appear.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:07 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

I agree with Rocky and baa. This was also one of my biggest complaints about the game.
In my roster edits I also lowered the pass read coverage on the QBs. Along with some DB edits and the catch ratings for all receivers and RBs. I am enjoying it much more now. There still is some issues with why they pass where they do, but there are alot of factors. Composure, the D pass rush in their face, what type of play is being run, etc. I don't think there is a perfect solution to it, but some edits and slider combos help.

Right now I'm working on custom playbooks. Focusing on specific teams offenses (and teams switching to 3-4 D). Interesting to see how the AI will play using these.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2005, 07:16 PM   #6
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
But from what I have observed lowering PRC ratings to 50 has made the QB play(not really the completion %) much better.
I've tried this before as a test for a couple of games and it may have been better but I certainly need to test this more. Can you give some examples of what the CPU Manning does against you? What else did you edit and how have the long term results been different?
Thanks.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:36 PM   #7
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I've tried this before as a test for a couple of games and it may have been better but I certainly need to test this more. Can you give some examples of what the CPU Manning does against you? What else did you edit and how have the long term results been different?
Thanks.
The CPU Manning lights me up. Primarily because his Pass Accuracy is high which is a very important rating. I try not to put starting QB's accuracy below 80 unless they are really inaccurate.

Also it is essential that QB's have high consistency and composure ratings. A high consistency rating will prevent the dry spells(the 0 for 8 stretches that a QB goes for). Neither of these ratings should be below 80 for starters.

Editing receivers catch ratings helps as well. I edited all receivers catch ratings to above 80 and receivers seem to catch the ball better.

Another one is LB's jumping rating. Alot have jumping ratings in the 80's which is crazy. IMO, they shouldn't be above 65.

And that's about it. With those edits and the PRC, I normally get QB's completing 60 percent and the general play is much better.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:41 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
The CPU Manning lights me up. Primarily because his Pass Accuracy is high which is a very important rating. I try not to put starting QB's accuracy below 80 unless they are really inaccurate.

Also it is essential that QB's have high consistency and composure ratings. A high consistency rating will prevent the dry spells(the 0 for 8 stretches that a QB goes for). Neither of these ratings should be below 80 for starters.

Editing receivers catch ratings helps as well. I edited all receivers catch ratings to above 80 and receivers seem to catch the ball better.

Another one is LB's jumping rating. Alot have jumping ratings in the 80's which is crazy. IMO, they shouldn't be above 65.

And that's about it. With those edits and the PRC, I normally get QB's completing 60 percent and the general play is much better.
Kyle Boller lights me up. I think his is based more on the fact that i am so geard to stop the run game though. Lewis is impossible to tackle

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »