Home

2K Sports Football finished on this generation of home consoles???

This is a discussion on 2K Sports Football finished on this generation of home consoles??? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2005, 02:03 PM   #9
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: 2K Sports Football finished on this generation of home consoles???

They probably don't want to leak any information because they know EA would just try to steal it, the filthy swine.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:11 PM   #10
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

There's nothing to leak. They aren't making a game for this year. People advertise, market, give interviews, etc. when they are making a game due out soon. Same with anything else, movies, music, etc. It really wouldn't make sense to make a big announcement that they are not making a game even though that's what people expect. They're working on a game for next year so there's no reason to talk about it at this time before football season has started and any pro football games have even come out for this year. Whether they have a focus on the game or not doesn't really matter. It's the expectations that are unreasonable, not the actions of VC.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:03 PM   #11
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
There's nothing to leak. They aren't making a game for this year. People advertise, market, give interviews, etc. when they are making a game due out soon. Same with anything else, movies, music, etc. It really wouldn't make sense to make a big announcement that they are not making a game even though that's what people expect. They're working on a game for next year so there's no reason to talk about it at this time before football season has started and any pro football games have even come out for this year. Whether they have a focus on the game or not doesn't really matter. It's the expectations that are unreasonable, not the actions of VC.
Yeah but if it's true that they're working on the game, and then they'll want to keep it under wraps so that when information is put out next year, the competition can't use it for themselves as it will be to late for them to get into their own game...

Anyways, back to my original question: I just wonder if it'll be for this gen. or next gen., or both? That is the bone I'd like for them to throw, even if it's a ways away... Though, maybe they don't even know themselves at this point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2005, 07:56 PM   #12
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

my guess would be both. that is just a guess, but i've yet to see a major sports series just abandon it's previous consoles unless you count the dreamcast but i'm sure they would've built the game if it came out. not everyone has the cash to buy a 360 and/or ps3, may not have it right away, may have no desire to buy it at all. EA still makes madden for the playstation. the only difference here is that it will be a new game, not a continued series, but they'll also be in a different position and not competing with madden so it'd be smart to hit as many target audiences as possible.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:09 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 4

I would think some of it would have to do with how much memory a customizable Legends game would require? Is a hard drive pretty much a requirement to do the game the way VC wants to? I'd guess "Yes" to that.

That means only the Xbox and Xbox 360 would be able to do the game well, though the PS3 is supposed to have an optional HD -though who knows when it might show up and for how much.

VC may need to design a game that can get by with only an 8 MB memory card for the PS2 crowd, which is just too large a group to ignore when it comes to potential game sales. The game might have to be more limited than the Xbox versions, but so it goes.

There will be many more Xbox/PS2 owners then Xbox 360/PS3 owners for the next 2-3 years anyway, so support for the soon-to-be-old consoles only makes good sense.

Since VC seems to be taking a year off, to use the extra development time to create a customizable game, they must be thinking that ONLY a very deep and well presented custom game has any chance of success versus Madden. I'd tend to think a custom game would be a supplemental game to Madden in the eyes of most gamers -except for hardcore VC fans of course who might never buy Madden. Few will spend $50 on Madden and then another $50 for some custom game. Some will spend $20-30 on a custom game out of curiousity so price will be a HUGE factor for a Legends game. Does that make it worthwhile to develop on the Xbox 360 and PS3 though? As game development costs are supposed to be much higher on the new hardware?

VC/Take2 have a lot of factors to consider here. Which systems to support? How many custom features can we include even given extra development time? How much can we charge for a custom game and still sell decent numbers? Is such a game even worth trying?

BTW, if they are shooting for a release in 2006? Why not aim for a late May/early June release? The NFL draft and free agent signings will have football on the minds of many gamers. In theory a customizable game is NOT locked into the NFL season as far as rosters go. People can adjust rosters as they go along anyway -so why would VC/Take2 wait to release a Legends game right next to Madden? Release two months early, being the first football game on the market -but well after most people have played the 2006 Madden to death and are starting to look forward to a new football game. That can only help sales, and EA has no way to match such an early release without stepping all over the college game and having WAY outdated rosters by the time the real NFL season starts.

Having written all this -I'd still love to see a Legends game for the Xbox 360 at or very near launch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »