Home

Old 07-31-2005, 07:47 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: 2K3/2K4

My only other question is will a updated roster crash in the frachise part of the game.'

Tim
Old 08-06-2005, 11:05 AM   #34
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I played 2K4 for 7 months because it worked. I played 2K5 for 2 months because it didn’t. The graphics in 2K4 are on par with 2K5, and the presentation is better and smoother IMO (no ‘film’ highlites, but so what). The thing with 2K4 is it plays a very good game with just a few slider tweaks – no edits really necessary. Plus the kicking game and coach mode both work, whereas both are broken in 2K5.

You will not be disappointed with 2K4. The running game isn’t 2K5, but if you can get past that, it’s a better game overall… IMO.
Wow. Yesterday I was in town and swung by my local EB just to see what they had on the shelves. I noticed they had a copy of NFL 2K4 for 4.99 and figured what the heck. I can't believe that I just spent the last 6 months trying to get 2K5 to work. I have only played three games of 2K4 so far, but I am so impressed with it. The graphics aren't that much of a step down, the presentation is just as good IMO, and the game WORKS. In my three games I saw 1 interception thrown by the CPU on default All-Pro and the passes are smart passes. It just makes me wonder what the heck they did to 2K5 to make it such a mess in terms of CPU/DB AI. It isn't player ratings. I went through and noticed that the consistency and aggressiveness ratings are pretty similar to 2K5. It just makes me sad now to know what they could have done with 2K5 after seeing 2K4. Anyway, two questions. Baa, I looked at making the edits you talked about for kickers, but on the default roster they are already around 30-50 in consistency and accuracy is already 70-80. Did I misunderstand what the edits should be? Also, the QB's actually scramble in 2K4 (I have never had them scramble very much in 2K5) and Vick was killing me last night. Is there any type of QB spy feature in 2K4 or was it left out that year as well? Thanks.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:44 AM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
Wow. Yesterday I was in town and swung by my local EB just to see what they had on the shelves. I noticed they had a copy of NFL 2K4 for 4.99 and figured what the heck. I can't believe that I just spent the last 6 months trying to get 2K5 to work. I have only played three games of 2K4 so far, but I am so impressed with it. The graphics aren't that much of a step down, the presentation is just as good IMO, and the game WORKS. In my three games I saw 1 interception thrown by the CPU on default All-Pro and the passes are smart passes. It just makes me wonder what the heck they did to 2K5 to make it such a mess in terms of CPU/DB AI. It isn't player ratings. I went through and noticed that the consistency and aggressiveness ratings are pretty similar to 2K5. It just makes me sad now to know what they could have done with 2K5 after seeing 2K4. Anyway, two questions. Baa, I looked at making the edits you talked about for kickers, but on the default roster they are already around 30-50 in consistency and accuracy is already 70-80. Did I misunderstand what the edits should be? Also, the QB's actually scramble in 2K4 (I have never had them scramble very much in 2K5) and Vick was killing me last night. Is there any type of QB spy feature in 2K4 or was it left out that year as well? Thanks.
I think I am in love. Her name is 2k4.

2k4 is a much better game period.

Tim
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2005, 02:36 PM   #36
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Tim, if you're interested in tweaking the kicking game, I can fire up my copy and look at my settings. It's a matter of lowering Accuracy and Consistency -- to something around 75-85 and 40-50 -- to get the CPU to kick properly without being automatic. I know people don't want to edit, but these are pretty necessary, and only take 10 minutes.

That's very true.... editing the kickers makes 2K4 complete. Here's what I would do. Take an above average kicker and look up his career stats at different distances. Tweak accuracy especially to a considerably lower number. So, for example, if it's Kasay and he's around a 90, take it down to 55 or so. Take the Panthers into the practice mode and pick FG at different distances (30yd, 40yd etc. --- add 17 yards for the end zone and drop back.... so a 30 yd'er is actually a 47 yarder... u know). Switch control to cpu and change camera to normal so you can see how much he's missing left or right. Adjust the slider accordingly to meet up with real life stats. Once you're satisfied, adjust other kickers accordingly. As far as creating rookie kickers, well, rookies always remain to be seen. It does take time but without the tweaks, you're simply asking for cpu misses to come because they'll be short.

I attached the latest roster set I've had and the sliders I was using along with....
Attached Files
File Type: zip ESPNNFLFOO_NFL2k40427.zip (282.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: zip ESPNNFLFOO_NFL2k4Sim1.zip (9.6 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by daflyboys; 08-06-2005 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:16 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
I attached the latest roster set I've had and the sliders I was using along with....
What can you tell us about this roster? Is it the default roster? Or does it reflect changes you've made (e.g., for kickers)? Is it pre-season? Mid-season? Post-season? I'm eager to try it out! Thanks!
Old 08-07-2005, 12:59 AM   #38
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

I typically name my rosters with the date so they're from late April '04. I'm pretty sure they have the edited kickers in them. Being a Chiefs fan they're probably tweaked a little for Dante Hall and not much else. They're not a season roster, but a regular roster.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:17 AM   #39
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I actually went back to 2K4 today and tried it out... honestly, I may be seeing more differences from 2K4 to 2K5 than 2K3 to 2K4. It may be because the transition from PS2 to Xbox, but it's just... completely different.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 08-08-2005, 01:27 AM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 4

I bought a used copy of 2K4. Since I never played the 2K4 version before, I thought I'd read some of the posts from back when the game first came out. I wonder if some of the following issues have been satisfactorily addressed:

1. Too easy to return kicks for good yardage
2. Too many broken tackles by running backs
3. CPU teams punting from the 30 yard line (instead of kicking a FG)
4. Too many defensive pass interference penalties
5. Poor CPU clock management late in the game
6. Performance EQ on or off?

P.S. I prefer coach mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »