Home

Amazing...my feelings on 2K

This is a discussion on Amazing...my feelings on 2K within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2005, 01:46 PM   #17
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Amazing...my feelings on 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
Whenever I play a game of 2K on 8 minute quaters, it usually takes me 2 hours to finish a game because I'm constantly replaying downs. Looking at how the play develops in awe. Its been like that since I had the game. And no matter how scripted the weekly sportscenter show is, I always religously watch as if I'm tryna make the highlight reel.

And as for watching real football on sunday afternoons, its been plenty of times last season when I would stop watching a game at halftime only to pop in 2K5.
I'm the exact same way. Just on regular 3 yard runs and then a tackle, I'll replay it twice over. It's amazing. The graphics, animations, everything, just make it seem right. And I always watch SportsCenter despite it being scripted. :y4:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 08-05-2005, 05:08 PM   #18
MVP

dbeth's Arena

OVR: 21

I was the same way. Started a FPF Franchise the other day, and it took FOREVER to get through the game, because I wanted to see what my plays looked like from an external view.

2k4 & 2k5 are both like 2 totally different games in 1. Playing was passing progression in FPF is NUTS!!! Just a whole lot more stress and, amazingly, more immersion. Thanks VC.

As for other options, totally sticking with 2k5 for the pro game, and going between CF2k3 and NCAA 2005 for football. Not feeling like paying $50 for nothing really revolutionary when I got 3 games for that much last year that got plenty of play each!

Go Badgers!
Old 08-06-2005, 10:23 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 1

Yes, i'm always watching the replays too. I just love the animations, love the collision system, love the game sounds (tackles sounds crunching), love listening to the excellent commentary from dan and pete. I've got the game on PS2 and it's STILL beautiful to watch. And then when the half-time show arrives, i always watch it so i can see if any of my players are leading in the highlights. Than at the end of game show, i watch to see if my player made "player of the game". The complete package is wrapped full of awesomeness and love.

How anyone could prefer Madden, is just mind boggling.

Last edited by Freelancer 2K3; 08-06-2005 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #20
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeth
I was the same way. Started a FPF Franchise the other day, and it took FOREVER to get through the game, because I wanted to see what my plays looked like from an external view.
As do the players in real life thus the reason you always see them lookin up at the stadium big screen after a play. And I think it's SWEET how VC captured that by allowing you to press on the analog stick which turns your POV to the big screen. I do that after every play habitually.

But sometimes I still pause to use the menu replay option. Especially when I'm playing defense and I want to see why/how I got blocked or what I was doing in coverage while playing CB or Safety. It's a great way to learn the game and improve. Pretty much like film study in real life.

Last edited by Kanobi; 08-06-2005 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:21 AM   #21
MVP

dbeth's Arena

OVR: 21

Kanobi,

Played my second game of my franchise last night vs. the Colts. It's a whole other level of stress being down on the field looking at Peyton Manning and wondering how he's going to kill you next.

I'm starting to get the controls down...I had a LOT more fun last night playing it on my 44" big screen at home compared to my first game on my 13" TV at grad school!! Just a little easier to get immersed.....

The passing progression is more comfortable now, I just need to remember to let the CPU do my QB drop for me while I look around with R1. I'm moving better on offense, but figuring out how to consistently cover area/guys correctly on D is hurting right now.

Oh well...back to the game. I think FPF will be my NFL 2k6 this year!

Go Badgers!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2005, 12:40 PM   #22
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Kanobi,

Played my second game of my franchise last night vs. the Colts. It's a whole other level of stress being down on the field looking at Peyton Manning and wondering how he's going to kill you next.
Man! I hate Manning! I swear, when I decide to freelance at OLB and blitz....when I cheat up to the LOS...Peyton looks right at me and audilbles and I'm like "Aw sh*t! What does this fugger have up his sleeve?!". Sometimes I stick with the blitz and other times I back off. Depends on the situation.

Quote:
I'm starting to get the controls down...I had a LOT more fun last night playing it on my 44" big screen at home compared to my first game on my 13" TV at grad school!! Just a little easier to get immersed.....

The passing progression is more comfortable now, I just need to remember to let the CPU do my QB drop for me while I look around with R1. I'm moving better on offense, but figuring out how to consistently cover area/guys correctly on D is hurting right now.
Tight and Press man coverage is unnecessarily difficult in 2k5 because VC screwed the controls, I think, while adding the option to switch back n forth between 3rdP and FP on the fly.

In 2k4, you can lock onto your defensive assignment before the snap. This is key when playing as CB because you need to see immdiately where the WR will go or even bump him at the LOS to throw off the play's timing. I mean you could really stay in the guy's chest with some good control and technique.

Can't do that in 2k5....pre-snap, your view automatically shifts to the ball/QB and you can't lock onto the wr until after the snap which by then it's usually too late as you're already beat. I suggest giving the guy a cushion and try to stay with him after the snap. Use backpeddle/strake until he cuts or has almost eaten up that cushion. That should help.

If you're playing zone, use strafe when you drop to stay under control. And since you have no specific player to cover...you can use the lock-on button to help you track the ball in the air. That'll help your awareness and it'll increase your chances of making a play...int or deflection.

BTW,

For a little added realism...pause the game and go to game options...switch playcalling to "Let Coach Pick". Then it's as if you're getting the plays from the sidelines. On offense it's cool because it opens up the playbook and you use alot of stuff you normally wouldn't. Plus the plays tend to be situationally sensible...double TE in short yardage situations...3 or 4 wrs on 3rd & long, etc. However, on defense it gets a lil weird. So I prefer to pick my own plays on D.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:56 PM   #23
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

FPF you say? i tried it once or twice but only for like five minutes total. maybe i'll try to run through a game.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:56 PM   #24
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi

For a little added realism...pause the game and go to game options...switch playcalling to "Let Coach Pick". Then it's as if you're getting the plays from the sidelines. On offense it's cool because it opens up the playbook and you use alot of stuff you normally wouldn't. Plus the plays tend to be situationally sensible...double TE in short yardage situations...3 or 4 wrs on 3rd & long, etc. However, on defense it gets a lil weird. So I prefer to pick my own plays on D.

Immersion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »