Home

Can this game get any more fun!?!

This is a discussion on Can this game get any more fun!?! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2005, 08:17 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Can this game get any more fun!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton

Can't remember who said they never used the rt stick jukes b/c they're always charging, I've got something for you to try to:

When you start a running play put your thumb on the right stick (if you've got the right RB to do the moves of course) and don't even think about any buttons until you're behind the secondary. As the ball is handed off start pushing only half way on the left stick while you're lookin for holes and if you see ANY defender even looking at you funny, flick the right stick... direction doesn't matter. Try not to press 100% in any direction on the left stick until you know you've got a clear lane to take off.

You really don't need to charge at all in this game. I only charge when I have room between me and a db and we're both heading right at each other or if I'm running up the gut for only a yard or two. I don't speed burst unless I'm behind the defenders or racing to turn a corner. For finesse backs, the spin and juke moves work well too but you have to be able to think like the buttons aren't there and get used to thinkin rt stick first and then add the buttons into your arsenal.
I didn't know you can use the R analog to juke...

Those are some really good hints I'll have to try them out.

*I bought my game used about a month ago and it doesn't have a instruction manual so Im still learning the controls.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:07 PM   #34
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsman27

I might have to try that myself. It was me who was always charging. I was always worried about not being able to do a "super/charged" move and that just doing regular moves wouldn't be good enough. I'm more used to using the right stick now so maybe I'll welcome it more rather than fight it. Old habits die hard.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:46 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 3

Ok I tryed out the right stick and it seems to work pretty well. I use it mainly in open space (kickoffs etc) and it worked to perfection. My only question though is what exactly are the moves it does? (up, down, right, left)

thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2005, 10:57 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 31

The basics are:
Up: stutter step
Down: stop
Right: right juke
Left: left juke

And then there are more advanced things you can do with it. I'd recommend going into practice mode and experimenting.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:17 AM   #37
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
If I call a pass play that's not a rollout or 1 step drop, as soon as I snap the ball I take literally half a second to see if any blitzers are coming and then move to my first read. If he's inside the defender then that's my target, otherwise I move to the next read, etc. There are other things to look for with the reads of course but that's not the point here. Here's the extra part: After the QB takes his last step I push up on the controller to take 2 quick steps up into the pocket. You should be able to do all of this in your head and if no blitzers are coming it almost always gives you an extra few seconds to throw. When it doesn't is usually when you would've been sacked anyway unless it was a quick pass.

I noticed that if I step up in the pocket, my blockers will give me an extra second or 2 to get off a long pass or let a WR finish his route, especially if he was bumped anywhere doing his route. I use McNair so I mentally keep a eye on the pocket incase I need to break into a run. If I step up, I can usually see the middle of the field wide open for the taking and I take off. Unless a LB was there playing zone coverage.

Quote:
Can't remember who said they never used the rt stick jukes b/c they're always charging, I've got something for you to try to:

When you start a running play put your thumb on the right stick (if you've got the right RB to do the moves of course) and don't even think about any buttons until you're behind the secondary. As the ball is handed off start pushing only half way on the left stick while you're lookin for holes and if you see ANY defender even looking at you funny, flick the right stick... direction doesn't matter. Try not to press 100% in any direction on the left stick until you know you've got a clear lane to take off.

I read about this somewhere. They said that flicking the stick in a general direction when looking for a hole works wonders at breaking that first tackle. Its kinda what the cpu does when its running. I've been doing alot of experimenting with the running and I found out that ethier the juke stick or the L and R triggers can get you past the line of scrimmage. If you press the juke stick at the right time, you can break out into any diffrent combo of animations. As for the L and R triggers, you can usually suck a pursuing LB into a block by L and R juking at the right moment.

It funny though, cause all both stratergies do is get you 3-5 yrds a carry. Its not like it'll help you bust a few great runs. I learned that once you beat one man up the gut, you gotta have luck on your side to break any more tackles. Usually 2 guys are right there to drag you down. If not, you gotta hope you hit the right bottons.

Quote:
You really don't need to charge at all in this game. I only charge when I have room between me and a db and we're both heading right at each other or if I'm running up the gut for only a yard or two. I don't speed burst unless I'm behind the defenders or racing to turn a corner. For finesse backs, the spin and juke moves work well too but you have to be able to think like the buttons aren't there and get used to thinkin rt stick first and then add the buttons into your arsenal.

You're right about the charge. I keep forgetting and hoping anyway that I can utilizr it correctly. Only thing that I like about the charge is its a guaranteed broken tackle if you use it right. Its just to bad because someone else is usually right on top of you by the time you finish your animation. Another thing I keep forgetting is to chain my moves together. If I got good at this, I'd probably work my way out of some jams. But its just to unpredictable to get used to. I donno, thats why I love the running game on 2K. Its tough to learn as well as master. And depending on the back you use, you gotta play smart. Anyway, thanks for the tips.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:34 AM   #38
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsman27

*I bought my game used about a month ago and it doesn't have a instruction manual so Im still learning the controls.
The manual is in the game.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:36 AM   #39
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
- Start an FPF game
- Pause the game and go to "Options"
- Go to "Game Options"
- Turn "FPF Receiver Progression" ON

Also for a lil bit more realism and added challenge...

- Switch "Play Calling" style to 'Let Coach Pick'
- Switch Gamespeed to "Fast"

To remain as the QB after you've thrown the ball...

- Turn "FPF Auto swap to Receiver" OFF

Enjoy!
Thanks. I already turned on the Receiver Progression but it just locked onto the primary receiver. How do I go to the next receiver?

As for the enjoy part, yes I am enjoying it. I go back and forth between swap to receiver or not. I like staying as the qb, but it's kinda hard to follow the results of the play.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:10 PM   #40
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberstabone
Thanks. I already turned on the Receiver Progression but it just locked onto the primary receiver. How do I go to the next receiver?
Right trigger...at least on Xbox. Should be the same for PS2 though...R2 I'd assume.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »