Home

Came to a huge conclusion....Madden...bye bye, Hello ESPN2K5!!!!!

This is a discussion on Came to a huge conclusion....Madden...bye bye, Hello ESPN2K5!!!!! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2005, 12:04 AM   #1
L.A. to S.D. to HI

Boltman's Arena

OVR: 34
Came to a huge conclusion....Madden...bye bye, Hello ESPN2K5!!!!!

Notice I posted this on the ESPN board, not Madden (did not want to start a flame war).

I play NCAA regularly, and I like this years effort, purchased Madden as well.

Night in night out of playing playing playing, and I have come to a conclusion........I'm sorry Madden junkies, but it is basically the same ol' sh!t.

ESPN was WAY ahead of its time, not just gameplay, but cut scenes as well, Madden is still spewing out the same ol' sh!t that we have been seeing for years (much like NCAA's, but at least the GP is better).

I decided to DL a few guys modernized rosters for this year, and there is no contest, ESPN 2K5...err 2K6 is WAAAYYY better than anything Madden could ever hope to achieve.

The cut scenes, gameplay, etc, just outclass Madden...every step of the way.

I posted this here because I did not want to start a flame war with the EA Madden heads, I just wanted to post my opinion, nothing more.

Long live ESPN 2K5 roster makers, keep this great and realistic game alive!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2005, 02:47 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Came to a huge conclusion....Madden...bye bye, Hello ESPN2K5!!!!!

Welcome, I've really been enjoying the new rosters also, I think I'm playing it more now than when it was new. This is probably due to this forum's new understanding of sliders and player rankings . . . it game seems to play better this year than it did right out of the box.

Good job guys.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:37 AM   #3
Rookie

Location: Fayetteville, NC....Mostly known for.....well....nothing.

Agreed.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:30 AM   #4
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

After playing Madden '06, I fell right back into the arms of NFL2K5. With the right Roster file and some good sliders, this game is insane.

Like I have said in the past. If EA doesn't beat out what was brought to the table with NFL2K5 on next gen, that is a shame.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:45 PM   #5
Rookie

I would argee. I played madden and then forgot how much I appriecated ESPN. However, the last couple of games I have played I have run into the WAY TOO MANY CPU INTS.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2005, 10:47 PM   #6
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebels10
I would argee. I played madden and then forgot how much I appriecated ESPN. However, the last couple of games I have played I have run into the WAY TOO MANY CPU INTS.
I have enjoyed Madden a little also but miss the presentation and class of ESPN. The only 2 problems I have (actually may be the same problem) is that in ESPN2k5 I have my receivers dropping everything because they always get crushed when they catch it or they hold onto it and get crushed. The defense is just too quick to react to a pass. I never have any yards after catch and I always have a very low QB completion %. I love this game but coming back to it after MAdden 06 really made this problem evident.

In Madden on a hook pattern, I looked the defender off by having my vision cone on the other side of the field. My receiver (antonio bryant) went out 15 yards and turned around. I zinged it to him and the defender was still back peddling. He caught it, I turned him around and had a good 5-7 yard cushion in which to fake out the DB who was coming up to make the stop. Right as he went to tackle me I use the spin move and left him in the dust. I went on for a 70 yard TD and let me tell you it was rewarding! Then came the lame Madden replays which really bl0w. This replay would have looked great on ESPN!

Anyway I never see this type of thing happen on ESPN because there is little to no seperation between WR and DB. The DB's close the gap so fast that even a wide open receiver usually gets tagged right as he is catching the ball.
It's a shame cause I love ESPN and now I find mt self torn. I really despise most of MAddens game play but the passing game just feels real as far as run after catch. I actually have time to catch the ball and turn and see who I have to fake out or run past or whatever. In ESPN.....I pretty much never see this aspect of NFL football.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:15 PM   #7
L.A. to S.D. to HI

Boltman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22
I have enjoyed Madden a little also but miss the presentation and class of ESPN. The only 2 problems I have (actually may be the same problem) is that in ESPN2k5 I have my receivers dropping everything because they always get crushed when they catch it or they hold onto it and get crushed. The defense is just too quick to react to a pass. I never have any yards after catch and I always have a very low QB completion %. I love this game but coming back to it after MAdden 06 really made this problem evident.

In Madden on a hook pattern, I looked the defender off by having my vision cone on the other side of the field. My receiver (antonio bryant) went out 15 yards and turned around. I zinged it to him and the defender was still back peddling. He caught it, I turned him around and had a good 5-7 yard cushion in which to fake out the DB who was coming up to make the stop. Right as he went to tackle me I use the spin move and left him in the dust. I went on for a 70 yard TD and let me tell you it was rewarding! Then came the lame Madden replays which really bl0w. This replay would have looked great on ESPN!

Anyway I never see this type of thing happen on ESPN because there is little to no seperation between WR and DB. The DB's close the gap so fast that even a wide open receiver usually gets tagged right as he is catching the ball.
It's a shame cause I love ESPN and now I find mt self torn. I really despise most of MAddens game play but the passing game just feels real as far as run after catch. I actually have time to catch the ball and turn and see who I have to fake out or run past or whatever. In ESPN.....I pretty much never see this aspect of NFL football.
I had much of the same dilemnas, and saw much of the same problems in the beginning. But...... after a few rosters I tried out, and some slider sets (plus my tweeks as well)...........

The problem dissapeared! I was finaly able to have seperation (sp) and have long RAC's from time to time (I mean they cant happen every pass play, that would be unrealistic).

Trust me, this games presentation destroys Maddens, Madden only has better stat layouts IMO, but the replays / commentary / cutscenes, it just destroys Madden.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:12 AM   #8
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltman
I had much of the same dilemnas, and saw much of the same problems in the beginning. But...... after a few rosters I tried out, and some slider sets (plus my tweeks as well)...........

The problem dissapeared! I was finaly able to have seperation (sp) and have long RAC's from time to time (I mean they cant happen every pass play, that would be unrealistic).

Trust me, this games presentation destroys Maddens, Madden only has better stat layouts IMO, but the replays / commentary / cutscenes, it just destroys Madden.
How about sharing some of your secrets? What sliders and what rosters and tweaks? I have been using NoPlace rosters and the problem seems to have gotten worse than when I was using last years rosters and just tweaked my Browns to be competetive. I edit receivers and QB's on my team to around 100% on on all pass related categories. YOu think that would be unfair but I still get less than realistic passing stats....especially completion %. Throw a guy a bone and let me know what you have done.....

Peace!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »