Home

The Little Things

This is a discussion on The Little Things within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2005, 09:16 PM   #1
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23
The Little Things

I know 2K5 has it's problems, but it really does some of the small detail things right. I just had this happen in a game and it is things like this that keep me coming back. I was the Cowboys playing the Eagles. They had the ball 1st and Goal from the 4. McNabb drops back and throws a touchdown pass to Pinkston, but there is a flag on the play. Turns out they rule ineligible reciever because the ball was touched by an ineligible receiver. I was like what? I didn't see it hit a lineman or anything. Then I realize they called the penalty on Pinkston. I think maybe he didn't line up as an eligible receiver, so I go back to watch the replay. He did line up as an eligible receiver. So I run the replay and as I watch I see that when Pinkston was running along the back of the endzone the DB bumped him and his left foot came down on the line. Therefore when he caught the ball he was ineligible because he went out of bounds and came back in to catch the ball. One of the coolest penalty calls I have seen in video game football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2005, 09:48 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: The Little Things

One of the things i miss most from ESPN football is the replays. I can sit there forever and watch a replay over and over again...even if it was an incomplete pass or something like that....i rarely do this with madden
Old 08-25-2005, 12:55 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Thats what I love about this game. The things like that where it really brings out the little nuances of football, even though its a videogame.

I wanna read about more of these! .....
Old 08-25-2005, 01:19 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

I'll tell you a thing I like as well....injuries...

You play Madden or NCAA, and they either walk off the field holding their air, or flop around like a fish. ESPN had all sorts of animations, that you could tell by what one you got, how serious it was. You know a guy isn't coming back when they bring out the cart.

I've also noticed with the penalties they call two on a play. So just because you went offsides, didn't give you a free ride for PI.

And to make it the little nuance trifecta, I'll add in actually picking what you want to review. Play Madden, and you catch a ball and tackle a guy 2 yards before the first down, then they give the offense the first. You want to challenge the spot, and it just goes "challenge the catch"? Annoyed the hell out of me.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:46 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 4

How 'bout some of the cutscenes. When the QB throws an INT. and they show him toss his helmet on the sidelines, that's one thing. But one time after I intercepted the computer, the showed that scene as usual. Then I marched down the field and scored a TD. Well, they proceed to cut back to the sidelines where you saw the QB who had thrown the INT. on one knee shaking his head in disgust.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2005, 10:03 AM   #6
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberstabone
How 'bout some of the cutscenes. When the QB throws an INT. and they show him toss his helmet on the sidelines, that's one thing. But one time after I intercepted the computer, the showed that scene as usual. Then I marched down the field and scored a TD. Well, they proceed to cut back to the sidelines where you saw the QB who had thrown the INT. on one knee shaking his head in disgust.

I love that cut scene. When it happens to you, you feel the exact same way. I also love those rare cut scenes that shows a player with the oxygen mask on the sidelines after a long run.

As for injuries, I got about 4 replays saved on my HD with some brutal hits that resulted in injuries. You can clearly see the victim turn limp in midair before he hits the ground. If he had the ball, the ball would just pop out his arms. To funny.

One of my best games I had was against the Chargers not to long ago. It was one of those games that were full of penalties, a few key injuries, crucial 3rd down conversions, drive killing turnovers and the like. It was just to much drama. There was a play where I went for it on 4th and inches, had the refs bring the chain gang out, I make the 1st by inches only to have the Charger's coach throw out the red flag to challenge the ball spot.....then having the play overturned. That was a great game.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:09 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 12

I had Jamal Lewis break a big run against me and score. The cutscene on the sideline showed him using the oxygen tank. I also like when it shows them on the exercise bike, funny stuff.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:22 AM   #8
Pro

KBomber's Arena

OVR: 5

My favorite cut-scene is still the one where the coach sends the player into the game with a play. The player starts to run out, then his body language suggests that he's either forgotten the play or whatever the coach has told him and then he just keeps going anyways to get back in the game

There are so many gems in the cut scenes and they so add to the whole experience of the game. I still can't get enough of that title, it really is a thing of beauty

Have fun..........

What I think I think:
• Y'know, I've never played less NBA 2K than I did with NBA 2K12
• Sports VG titles were REALLY disappointing in 2011-12
• Thank Heaven for ME3 and Arkham City -- saved my winter

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »