Home

why not just do a 100% online football game?

This is a discussion on why not just do a 100% online football game? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2005, 06:20 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
why not just do a 100% online football game?

there's a game for pc called ultimate baseball online and it sucks big time however it's primary niche is that every player on the field is controlled by a human at a computer. with no licence it's the most logical way for 2k sports to still compete by allowing the users to create their own teams/players/stadiums and possibly train offline to develop.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2005, 06:49 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: why not just do a 100% online football game?

that would be tight. would this be where one person controls the quarterback, running back, etc and everyone has to work as a team. they could have an online football league. o man the endless possibilities.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:29 PM   #3
Rookie

yeah like 11 on 11, i'm the qb your the hb
Old 09-05-2005, 06:44 PM   #4
Rookie

Location: Fayetteville, NC....Mostly known for.....well....nothing.

Wouldn't work for the console systems, since most players don't play online. That's how Madden lived all these years and still outsold 2K5. Good idea for computers, bad idea for consoles.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:56 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Otrain
Wouldn't work for the console systems, since most players don't play online. That's how Madden lived all these years and still outsold 2K5. Good idea for computers, bad idea for consoles.
yea but for the online football gamers, this is their dream. if they could do this it would be so cool.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2005, 07:33 PM   #6
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

That would suck. I wouldn't want to be stuck playing an offensive lineman all game.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 09-05-2005, 09:22 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
That would suck. I wouldn't want to be stuck playing an offensive lineman all game.
yeah but with what they have already it could be like 5 on 5 or 6 on 6 with lineman controlled by the cpu. here's the post i made a long time ago

http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...eply&p=1345824

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawkerOne
I'll skip all the greetings and praise because i have an idea to further help keep Visual Concepts making sports games for consoles without a NFL licence or any other if the rumors are true. About 2 years ago i was deep into testing an online game that was on course to change gaming as we know it. The name of the game was untimate baseball online and it's concept was to create an online baseball game where every position was played by a different user sitting at a different computer. The game didn't do so well, the development team was small, there was no publisher, and the odds were stacked against them. However you Visual Concepts as a very talented developer with Sega as a publisher are a perfect team to take what you have in your pro sports games and translate it into it's own living, breathing, competitive online gaming league(s) where every player is controlled by a user. Having Sega as a publisher is perfect because they are the trail blazers in online gaming on consoles with the saturn and dreamcast and they are not affraid to try something innovative (shenmue).

I have thought a few things through to help make it work for different sports where it is seemingly impossible for this concept to work.

For football
- it would require 22 people to to play a game but you could limit it to say 12 to make it a 6 on 6 game which would make it easier for net code.
- offence would consist of QB, HB, WR, WR, TE, WR/TE/HB
- defence would consist of DE, MLB, CB, CB/FS/OLB, CB/SS/OLB, CB/OLB
- AI players fill the void for non-human players
- Impliment a 3rd person view
- Impliment a more fluid look view with the right analog

Just think everything you have done in the past lends itself to this, player progression, biorhythm, etc.

You could do it for basketball, baseball, hockey, etc which we basically can do up to a degree but expanding the netcode to allow people to be at different locations and on the same team is in my opinion the next step in online gaming. We could create our own teams, players, jersey's, stadiums, leagues, tournaments, etc and it would be alot like playing an online FPS where they (we) have clans, turnaments, ladders, etc.

The bottom line is don't waste the time invested because you have lost some licence as there are alot of roads that developers haven't traveled yet.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:48 PM   #8
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

It's still tough... this is concerning two factors:

- Trust
- Cooperation

Granted, they are both intangibles, but you need to make sure that your QB is trustworthy as to who to pass to and what plays to call, or your WR to attempt to catch the ball. Likewise, you need your defense to be able to cooperate with their zone, their position, and their responsibility. You don't cover a player you're not supposed to, you don't blitz when you're not supposed to, etc.

It's tough... it's a stretch... but it could work. I wouldn't buy a PC football game, though.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »