Home

the silver lining for me this year

This is a discussion on the silver lining for me this year within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2005, 08:46 PM   #1
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17
the silver lining for me this year

due to many reasons, i did not play the single player version of nfl 2k5 last year more than a few games. because i was burnt out a bit on video football i played other games waaaay more. i stopped even 2 player play around december.

but finally i popped this back in sometime late july and now i am experiencing a 2nd love for this game. with some sports games we barely scratch the surface of all you can do before the next version comes out. or worse yet, with last years 2k $19.99 price point, i was on to another sport altogether real quick.

now that i am experiencing a revival of nfl 2k5 i am seeing more animations, more aspects to the game i did not have time to develop skills with last year.

the quarterback evade, when pulled off correctly, is awesome. when you use the juke stick and the buttons correctly on a punt or kickoff return, and you make something of nothing, it is flat out satisfying.

when you call the right d and/or double team the right WR, you feel "i did that" and it immerses you into the game like no other feeling. converesely, when the cpu eats you alive and there is nothing you can do to stop it, you are thinking i need to draft/sign a gaurd, CB, FS or some other position, instead of the game is cheating.

i love the fact that every game is different.

i really enjoy the franchise also. i love finding low rated overall players that out-play my higher rated players. i had to cut a 70 rated WR because he dropped passes while my 59 rated WR caught everything. i think it is cool that when my 69 rated DE starts i stop the run, but my 80 rated DE means i lose.

this game is awesome and if it hadnt been for the deal i would have never discovered that. i still wish they had made 2k6 but i will easily get another year or two out of 2k5.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2005, 09:10 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: the silver lining for me this year

i agree with you on every aspect. i am just waiting for some great rosters and sliders so i can start my franchise!
Old 09-12-2005, 09:17 PM   #3
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

good stuff man. i love this espn community, i really do.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:12 AM   #4
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radja
with some sports games we barely scratch the surface of all you can do before the next version comes out. or worse yet, with last years 2k $19.99 price point, i was on to another sport altogether real quick.
This is so true. Games these days are so deep that it is tough to do it all. And as you said, the $19.99 price tag makes it tougher. Just when you are getting into NFL2k, NHL 2k comes out. Shortly after that is NBA and then boom, here comes CHoops. Too many games, not enough time.

Actually, there are a few things I am looking forward to with another year of NFL2K5....I can carry on filling out the crib, adding to my user stats and I won't have to invest a great deal of time upfront with sliders.

I don't understand some of the people who seem to think you can't play last years game.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:19 AM   #5
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I don't understand some of the people who seem to think you can't play last years game.
I can't figure it out either. I'm just waiting for some nice rosters. I started some but there is no way that I would get them done in time and I don't want to have a 1/2 *** game. I was able to complete 7 teams.

Maybe with Finn's new editor it might allow you to completely edit the rosters in the editor.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2005, 12:10 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearsp2007
i agree with you on every aspect. i am just waiting for some great rosters and sliders so i can start my franchise!
Try Radja's sliders at the slider thread. They are amazing!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2005, 10:03 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

[quote=the quarterback evade, when pulled off correctly, is awesome. when you use the juke stick and the buttons correctly on a punt or kickoff return, and you make something of nothing, it is flat out satisfying.

when you call the right d and/or double team the right WR, you feel "i did that" and it immerses you into the game like no other feeling. converesely, when the cpu eats you alive and there is nothing you can do to stop it, you are thinking i need to draft/sign a gaurd, CB, FS or some other position, instead of the game is cheating.

i love the fact that every game is different.

i really enjoy the franchise also. i love finding low rated overall players that out-play my higher rated players. i had to cut a 70 rated WR because he dropped passes while my 59 rated WR caught everything. i think it is cool that when my 69 rated DE starts i stop the run, but my 80 rated DE means i lose. .[/QUOTE]

I cannot agree with you more! no matter how high or low the players are, they are still pro athletes and can still step up and make plays; even the 50-60 rated players. I am just waiting for nickchew to drop his v. 3 rosters then I'll be set.

moreover, there is the amazing animaitons! I had this game since the day it dropped and to this day, I am still seeing new animations that I have never ever seen here. it really depends on how long you play and what ratings/slider adjustments you use. either way, animations really help to make the game feel realistic and immersed in the action.

in madden, a player rated in the 50's and 60's is absolutely worthless unless it is a player with 99 speed, and we all know the repititous animations really make the gameplay very.. predictable.

what gets me most about comparing madden to espn is how much more in depth in its ratings. this is something that many gamers miss. espn has actual intangibles like leadership, consistency, composure, and aggressiveness. this allows you to make a player truly distinct outside from his raw, physical talent. I think people really overlook this fact.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:32 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

In a way, I'm almost glad there wasn't a 2k6....almost. It game me a chance to really see how good 2k5 is. Couple that with the great ESPN community putting out the updated rosters, sliders, etc., and you get a game that is still better than Madden '06. I think we, as gamers, got a little too used to seeing a new rehash every year.

I'm with you, augustus, anxiously awaiting Chew's v3 rosters.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »