Home

hot d@mn!!! ESPN 2K4 has far better gameplay than 2K5. make rosters please!!!

This is a discussion on hot d@mn!!! ESPN 2K4 has far better gameplay than 2K5. make rosters please!!! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2005, 04:19 PM   #57
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: hot d@mn!!! ESPN 2K4 has far better gameplay than 2K5. make rosters please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
Agreed. And this is why I'm not sure if I can be content with 2k5 for the next five years (or beyond). It is a great game, but the CPU passing game leaves a great deal to be desired.

Actually, rosters changes do help this problem.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:15 PM   #58
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: hot d@mn!!! ESPN 2K4 has far better gameplay than 2K5. make rosters please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperVictoria
Actually, rosters changes do help this problem.
Any in particular? And without skewing season/simmed stats?
Old 10-22-2005, 01:22 PM   #59
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
Any in particular? And without skewing season/simmed stats?
The edits that were made to improve CPU passing do work to a degree, but they throw the sim stats way off, yes. And I'm assuming the previous poster was speaking of editing the several QB ratings that affect passing -- Accuracy, Consistency, Pass Read, etc.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:34 PM   #60
Rookie

OVR: 2

I would love to see those 2k4 coaching sliders that BBfan66 was talking about.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:35 PM   #61
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan66
I couldn't agree more with you, Xrob. My brother and play head to head with 2K5--it's a great game. I didn't start this thread, I merely responded to it.

My only point was that 2K4 does a better job at simulating SOME NFL numbers for a season, and definitely mirrors passing better than 2K5 with int. rate and comp pct., and I enjoy it more for that reason. This is what I like: the stats and sim aspect of the game. I don't why, I just do. I would rather coach than control every player or watch a cpu v. cpu matchup to get tendencies for an upcoming opponent. I just don't like playing in the way most do.

By the way, coach mode and simulation are "playing" the game, too. Otherwise, there would be no coach mode or cpu v. cpu option.

My brother thinks I am crazy he loves 2K5 for its graphics and gameplay. He plays standard mode all the time. He will play an entire season in one evening sometimes. He's only happy if throws for 300+ yards every season.

Everyone has different tastes and that's cool.

Listen, most of the talk on this board is for 2K5. I just thought it was cool when I saw someone post about the merits of 2K4. The key is that everyone find there own niche with their own game.

By the way, I will post a franchise later with fairly up to date rosters and my sliders, etc.
here is the original post.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2005, 08:38 AM   #62
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Without a doubt in my mind, 2K4 was the best game in the NFL 2K series. 2K5, i'm sorry to say, was a product of a rushed game, trying to beat the retail shelf before its competitor at a price much cheaper. I personally think VC/SEGA were trying to get a name for themselves with 2K5 with the casual NFL crowd who weren't necessarily loyal to Madden, but just played it because everyone else they knew did. I don't see 2K5 being a title for the hardcore fans of the series, they kinda asked the fans to take "one for the team" with 2K5, so to speak. "Let us get a bigger fanbase by focusing on more superficial aspects and we'll focus on the more hardcore NFL fan aspects next year". Of course, next year never came (and, of course, that's just my interpretation, not fact or anything).

2K5 is a good 2 player game but it isn't a great single player one. 2K4, for its time, was far superior to Madden in most ways - hell, it has features that even Madden XB360 won't have (gang tackles, double team blocks). However, 2K5 clearly gave Madden an advantage in the AI department. I know many are partial to 2K5's style of gameplay, but I just can't stand a game where I roll my eyes in embarrasment for the CPU when it makes yet another blunder. 2K4 doesn't do this......but then again, it doesn't do a lot of other stuff either. It's a shame 2K5 couldn't have just been 2K4 with the graphics a few minor features....they could have taken a page out of EA"s book for 2K5 and done very little, and I think looking back it would have been a lot better.

Last edited by Nza; 11-08-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:55 AM   #63
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
2K5, i'm sorry to say, was a product of a rushed game, trying to beat the retail shelf before its competitor at a price much cheaper.
That's exactly what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
However, 2K5 clearly gave Madden an advantage in the AI department. I know many are partial to 2K5's style of gameplay, but I just can't stand a game where I roll my eyes in embarrasment for the CPU when it makes yet another blunder. 2K4 doesn't do this....
2K4 has it's defensive AI problems as well, but the biggest difference between it and 2K5, is that 2K5 had major AI problems on offense as well as defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
It's a shame 2K5 couldn't have just been 2K4 with the graphics a few minor features....they could have taken a page out of EA's book for 2K5 and done very little, and I think looking back it would have been a lot better.
Ha-ha with the EA comment -- so true In fairness, they were trying for something BIGGER with 2K5: BIGGER tackles; BIGGER interceptions; BIGGER muscles on the players and boobs on the cheerleaders; etc. Then they ran out of time obviously. What I can't forgive is their decision to release that broken game, knowing it was glitchy and unfinished (a moron could see that after playing it for 5 minutes) yet they were only interested in beating EA to the punch... 2K fans be d*mned.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:54 PM   #64
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

I can't even play 2K4 anymore. The lack of transition kills the game in comparison with NFL2K5.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »