Home

PBP Unknown???? cracked and revealed

This is a discussion on PBP Unknown???? cracked and revealed within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2005, 02:19 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 15
PBP Unknown???? cracked and revealed

Okay, everyone here including myself has been pissed off about hearing the wrong first names with edited and/or created players such as 49ers QB Alex Smith among many others. QB Alex Smith is always referred to as 49ers LB Derek Smith. Well, this problem has been solved.

Instead of hearing the wrong first name all the damn time, it is now possible to eliminate the first name completely and to hear the commentators just say the last name instead. For example, instead of 49ers QB Alex Smith being referred to 49ers LB Derek Smith, he'll simply be referred to as just "Smith".

This is where all those "unknown????" numbers listed in the Play By Play (PBP) option of Finn's editor come in to play. All those unknowns are actually the last names of the fake rookies that are in the Draft every year.

I found a few names that I needed for my 49ers. I found the PBP for Smith (QB Alex Smith), Marshall (WR Rasheed Marshall), Snyder (OL Adam Snyder), Fields (DT Ronald Fields) and Johnson (CB Derrick Johnson). I also found the PBP for the last name Romero since it was Romero that led me to finding out the PBP for last names.

Sure, only hearing "Smith" has thrown for 150 yards and 3 touchdowns isnt as good as hearing "Alex Smith" has thrown for 150 yards and 3 touchdowns but its definitely better then hearing Derek Smith or some other wrong first name or just the jersey number of the player. I would love to hear Alex Smith but at least being able to hear Smith is better then the alternatives of either nothing, the jersey number or the wrong first name.

The best way to figure out if the last name that you're looking for is in the game's PBP is to start a franchise and to simulate until you get to the rookie signing period that's after the Draft. Save your franchise to the Action Replay and then look at it in Finn's editor. All the last names that are in the file that are from those fake rookies will be listed under an "unknown????" number in the PBP option.

Remember what VC/Sega said before 2k5's release - "the rookies now have pictures and the commentators will now refer to them by their last name instead of just the jersey number like in previous years". Well, that little extra is our benefit.

Be advised about one thing though - DO NOT edit the name of any of the fake rookies that will be in the yearly Draft. Editing the names will actually change the PBP that is associated with the rookie in Finn's editor.

Anyway, below are the unknown???? numbers and the last name associated with them. I tested it out and it does work.

Unknown 9300 - Smith
Unknown 9301 - Johnson
Unknown 9413 - Marshall
Unknown 9473 - Snyder
Unknown 9496 - Fields
Unknown 9529 - Romero

I was up till 4 am yesterday trying to figure out if it was possible to eliminate the first name from the PBP and after over 2 hours of testing, I figured it out. I knew that the Unknown???? numbers listed in the PBP option of Finn's editor had to be something. It was just a matter of figuring out what that something was. In my opinion, this is a huge find and will eliminate hearing the wrong first name all the damn time and make 2k5 even greater then it was before. I will be going through all 9999 unknowns either later this week or sometime next week. It's going to be a pain in the *** but in the long run, it will definitely be worth it.

Anyway, enjoy and feedback is welcome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: PBP Unknown???? cracked and revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
Okay, everyone here including myself has been pissed off about hearing the wrong first names with edited and/or created players such as 49ers QB Alex Smith among many others. QB Alex Smith is always referred to as 49ers LB Derek Smith. Well, this problem has been solved.

Instead of hearing the wrong first name all the damn time, it is now possible to eliminate the first name completely and to hear the commentators just say the last name instead. For example, instead of 49ers QB Alex Smith being referred to 49ers LB Derek Smith, he'll simply be referred to as just "Smith".

This is where all those "unknown????" numbers listed in the Play By Play (PBP) option of Finn's editor come in to play. All those unknowns are actually the last names of the fake rookies that are in the Draft every year.

I found a few names that I needed for my 49ers. I found the PBP for Smith (QB Alex Smith), Marshall (WR Rasheed Marshall), Snyder (OL Adam Snyder), Fields (DT Ronald Fields) and Johnson (CB Derrick Johnson). I also found the PBP for the last name Romero since it was Romero that led me to finding out the PBP for last names.

Sure, only hearing "Smith" has thrown for 150 yards and 3 touchdowns isnt as good as hearing "Alex Smith" has thrown for 150 yards and 3 touchdowns but its definitely better then hearing Derek Smith or some other wrong first name or just the jersey number of the player. I would love to hear Alex Smith but at least being able to hear Smith is better then the alternatives of either nothing, the jersey number or the wrong first name.

The best way to figure out if the last name that you're looking for is in the game's PBP is to start a franchise and to simulate until you get to the rookie signing period that's after the Draft. Save your franchise to the Action Replay and then look at it in Finn's editor. All the last names that are in the file that are from those fake rookies will be listed under an "unknown????" number in the PBP option.

Remember what VC/Sega said before 2k5's release - "the rookies now have pictures and the commentators will now refer to them by their last name instead of just the jersey number like in previous years". Well, that little extra is our benefit.

Be advised about one thing though - DO NOT edit the name of any of the fake rookies that will be in the yearly Draft. Editing the names will actually change the PBP that is associated with the rookie in Finn's editor.

Anyway, below are the unknown???? numbers and the last name associated with them. I tested it out and it does work.

Unknown 9300 - Smith
Unknown 9301 - Johnson
Unknown 9413 - Marshall
Unknown 9473 - Snyder
Unknown 9496 - Fields
Unknown 9529 - Romero

I was up till 4 am yesterday trying to figure out if it was possible to eliminate the first name from the PBP and after over 2 hours of testing, I figured it out. I knew that the Unknown???? numbers listed in the PBP option of Finn's editor had to be something. It was just a matter of figuring out what that something was. In my opinion, this is a huge find and will eliminate hearing the wrong first name all the damn time and make 2k5 even greater then it was before. I will be going through all 9999 unknowns either later this week or sometime next week. It's going to be a pain in the *** but in the long run, it will definitely be worth it.

Anyway, enjoy and feedback is welcome.
As I said before, there are just last name pbp ques. They were in the list of available PBP names until the most recent update. I deleted them by mistake but they will make their return in the next release.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:26 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 15

I thought that I had seen just the last names in the PBP option of your editor but when I didnt see them in version 253, I thought that I was dreaming of it but this is good news. I guess that I wasnt dreaming this and even more so, I dont have to go through all 9999 unknowns which is a good thing. Thanks Finn and I guess that this topic was for nothing. Oh well.

When are you going to release your next version of the editor?
Old 10-03-2005, 04:01 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Dan..good find. Here is a helpful tidbit...For names that don't have single last names in Finn's editor.

If you use the create a player function you will only get a last name PBP even if you have the full name selected in finn's editor. This allows for PBPs for players that don't have a last name listed in the Editor.

For example... there is no McIntyre listed in the Editor but there is Jerry McIntyre.. when adding Corey McIntyre to the roster, to avoid the announcers calling him Jerry you would just create him in one of the Player create slots and assign the name... They will always refer to him as 'McIntyre'. Same can be done for players like J.J. Arrington.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:54 PM   #5
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallydog
Dan..good find. Here is a helpful tidbit...For names that don't have single last names in Finn's editor.

If you use the create a player function you will only get a last name PBP even if you have the full name selected in finn's editor. This allows for PBPs for players that don't have a last name listed in the Editor.

For example... there is no McIntyre listed in the Editor but there is Jerry McIntyre.. when adding Corey McIntyre to the roster, to avoid the announcers calling him Jerry you would just create him in one of the Player create slots and assign the name... They will always refer to him as 'McIntyre'. Same can be done for players like J.J. Arrington.
Correct. You can also just select the last name from the PBP list if it's available without selecting a last name, first name. I think this might depend on which version of the editor that you are using.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2005, 05:24 PM   #6
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallydog

That is not always true. I created Deion Sanders and the announcers would sometimes say Lewis Sanders.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:43 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Finn...really? All the players I created never called out a first name....I didn't think that Player-create allowed first names to be announced all the players I created only announced last names... There are a few mistakes in PBP that shipped with the game.. like Ike Taylor for the Steelers..PBP calls him Ivan even though it's listed as Ike... (I ran into this on NFL.com as well where they listed him as Ivan in some places)
Old 10-04-2005, 02:04 AM   #8
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

so the unknown pictures are actual recreated pics in the franchise mode? can we use those?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »