Home

Anyway to make the CPU defense good?

This is a discussion on Anyway to make the CPU defense good? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2005, 06:34 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Anyway to make the CPU defense good?

You're the first person I've heard of that has human sliders turned off and cpu sliders maxed and still finds it too easy. I get frustrated playing on Legend because my own team drops so many and is so much slower than the cpu. I'd be interested in playing you online to see your play style.

All I can suggest is player edits as well. Once you've reached the limitations of the sliders(which I find hard to imagine), that's your only option left. It's gonna be the same way with Madden I would think, if not worse.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:49 PM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRooster
You're the first person I've heard of that has human sliders turned off and cpu sliders maxed and still finds it too easy. I get frustrated playing on Legend because my own team drops so many and is so much slower than the cpu. I'd be interested in playing you online to see your play style.

All I can suggest is player edits as well. Once you've reached the limitations of the sliders(which I find hard to imagine), that's your only option left. It's gonna be the same way with Madden I would think, if not worse.
I may have to resort to that. I know there was some guy named Chewover or something doing some editting project - but it seems dead or something.

I think the problem is just getting too used to how the CPU plays. For example. Fake a pass to a player going deep and the defenseman will bite almost every time leaving your receiver wide open (so pumping now becomes a cheap method). If I do a run I'm just so used to seeing holes now and anticipating the computer that I can burst through pretty easily (I kept lowering running and blocking and it got better for a game or two until I got used to it again. with someone's editted rosters I was managing 10yds/carry with Bennett of all people. One game I had Bennett with 110 yds and Smith with 150 and they only ran about 10-12 times each. Culpepper had something like 450 passing yards.

Then running with the QB seems like a cheap method, but it's done in the NFL so I'd like to be able to do it. As it is, if I call a passing play and can't get someone open I'm usually able to run for a first down (if it's 10yds or less).

I'm not a big football guy, so I don't know the terms. But it's also really easy to call plays where the two players behind the QB (i guess fullback and halfback?) run a small curl to the outside. Just toss them the ball, break a tackle and get 10 yards almost every time. Same with the plays where your player runs up 10 yards and turns back. Bullet a pass to him, then pull a little move and the computer usually misses the tackle and gives you 10-15 more yards.

It's not that I'm that great - it's that the CPU has no learning logic, and plays pretty much the same no matter what team you play. You get so used to the way it plays after a year that there's almost nothing they can do to stop you because you know what they're going to do before you do.

The only way I ever don't get a TD on a drive is if I go with a bunch of plays I've never ever used, or just call dumb plays like reversals and what not.

Hopefully some roster editting will help out. Maybe this gamechewover guy will get that project he was working on done.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:50 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenericLogin
..I know there was some guy named Chewover or something doing some editting project - but it seems dead or something.

...Maybe this gamechewover guy will get that project he was working on done.
Yea, you can call me Nick

Rosters are available if you're looking for them. If I were to judge from the looks of your post though, I'm not sure if these will help you out any. In all seriousness though, your post about easy gameplay sounds a bit silly. I can't see that happening with those slider settings you use, lol.

The gamechewover rosters are more inline with sim style gameplay, but I guess they are worth a shot. If you do try them out, let me know how it goes with those slider settings you use.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2005, 08:06 PM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickChew
your post about easy gameplay sounds a bit silly. I can't see that happening with those slider settings you use, lol.
I wish it were silly - but i'm not making it up. that would make no sense
Old 10-11-2005, 08:11 PM   #13
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

play some of the downloaded rosters with Performance EQ on... maybe that will make the game harder for you... try that on legend
Old 10-11-2005, 08:12 PM   #14
Banned

EQ hmm - i actually forgot about that, i might mess with that again
Old 10-11-2005, 11:02 PM   #15
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Any way to make the CPU defense good?

Why not try playing with the side view? Or first person mode?
That won't make the defense better, but might make offense tougher??

Good luck.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2005, 11:04 PM   #16
Banned

Re: Any way to make the CPU defense good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
Why not try playing with the side view? Or first person mode?
That won't make the defense better, but might make offense tougher??

Good luck.
not a bad idea. Restrict my view so I can't see openings as much, or see my deep receivers, so it's more chuck-and-pray

I may try that

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »