Home

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

This is a discussion on HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 10:42 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 13
HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

I'm posting this here because it has everything to do with updating rosters for NFL2K5 despite having lost their license. Let me explain . . .

Last night, my buddy and I were getting set to play MVP online. Guess what, they updated their roster! Despite having lost the rights to create an MLB game next year, EA did exactly what I thought Take 2 /VC SHOULD have done (and could still be doing), updating rosters for their current game.

Am I making too much of this? I know it's much too late for t2/vc to do anything now (open up their servers to allow custom rosters for online play, etc) or maybe it would just cost too much for them to allocate resources to support NFL2K5.

Either way, I think it's just EA's way of sticking their big middle finger right out to VC/Take 2. I know MVP allows for custom rosters for online play as well. Frustrating to say the least.

BigBlue
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2005, 10:53 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

EA didn't lose the rights for baseball until January 2006.

Take2/VC lost rights to the NFL at the beginning of this season (I think).

It's all a timing issue in the way the contracts were set-up. It has nothing to do with EA sticking it to anyone. Technically they can still make a baseball game as long as it's released before 1/06.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 13

Thanks for the reply joeboo. I was actually typing in the same thing just as I was reading your reply.

Too bad VC/T2 couldn't open up their servers for custom rosters online. It's still a kickbutt game regardless.

BigBlue
Old 11-18-2005, 10:57 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

No problem.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:15 PM   #5
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Hold on one second here everyone,

If I can make a roster update available to the general public and don't have the rights to the NFL, NBA, MLB, or even NHL license, why can't EA release rosters? Why can't VC release rosters for 2K5?

What if EA had a person work on updating rosters, but than he/she went on to all of the popular file sharing communities such as OS, Codejunkies, and GameFAQS and released the file under their own persona and not the EA company.

I don't have any rights to the licenses and no one else does but EA and 2K for their respective games, but all of us roster makers churn out rosters like there's no tomorrow. I feel like VC felt defeated after that agreement and never decided to release a roster file.

I really don't think that they are breaking the LAW. If a lawyer could jump in here and help us out that would be cool. Also to if the terms in the contract state that the competiton (EA) is not allowed to release OFFICIAL roster updates, than I can see where there could be trouble. If that contract doesn't say that, who says that this will stop EA from releasing a roster update next spring.

This is one reason as to why I have been disappointed with 2KSports on how they have handled this whole exclusive rights thing by being quite. EA just picked up the pieces after their MVP MLB game couldn't be made and decided to hit the MVP NCAA market to make some money. This is what VC/Take 2 should have done, but guys like myself, NickChew, and DeadSteeler have tried to keep this game alive through the season for everyone that want to continue to play.

This is my opinion so please take it for what it is.

Last edited by CaptainZombie; 11-18-2005 at 12:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2005, 12:41 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

It all boils down to the terms of the agreement. No one knows what they are, but I'm pretty sure both agreements state that even updated rosters can't be released by either company after a certain date.

An independent roster maker can do as he/she chooses. They aren't employed by either company or have any stake in that company.

If EA or VC had an employer working on rosters and then went onto a site and shared them, they could get sued if caught. They broke the terms of the agreement. It wouldn't be very hard to trace that person back to EA or VC either. Everything someone does on the internet leaves a footprint.

Anyhow, it's all in the wording in the agreement. These companies aren't dumb and if there is a loophole or some way around this, they'll find it. However, I wouldn't expect it.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:55 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman56
Why can't VC release rosters for 2K5?
Not "can't" -- "didn't" because they had no interest in it. They didn't care and they don't care. They've moved on. In fact, all those programmers are probably playing Madden 360 right now.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:44 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

You sure? From everything I read, VC can't make updated rosters for 2K right now.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »