Home

Ok - so i'm starting to get something, but I need CPU offense help

This is a discussion on Ok - so i'm starting to get something, but I need CPU offense help within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-13-2005, 03:07 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 4
Ok - so i'm starting to get something, but I need CPU offense help

Ok - i'm starting to get sliders that are working for me. Offensively, I've found good sliders - basically all my offensive sliders at 0, and all the CPU defensive sliders at 40.

But, now I'm having trouble with the CPU offense. I keep finding that no matter what I do, one of two things becomes true.

Either the CPU sucks and can't get anything going. Or, the CPU scores like crazy, but it's because they nail passes to players up field, and my players act like morons and try to intercept everything, letting him run right by them. This happens on runs a lot too. But, the CPU never really plays a short game.

It seems that the computer can't play a short game - I can't find a way to make them go for 5 yard passes, or cuts and things like that - they always seem to go for 10+ yards, and often really deep passes. I'm wondering if anyone has some slider suggestions that maybe make the CPU go for shorter gains sometimes. I'd like to see them making 5-6 yard passes, and going for two runs to try to pound the ball that extra 4-5 yards and what not - but I can't figure that out. It just seems the computer either breaks tons of tackles and scores TDs, or they can't do anything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

OVR: 19
Exclamation Re: Ok - so i'm starting to get something, but I need CPU offense help

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenericLogin
Ok - i'm starting to get sliders that are working for me. Offensively, I've found good sliders - basically all my offensive sliders at 0, and all the CPU defensive sliders at 40.

But, now I'm having trouble with the CPU offense. I keep finding that no matter what I do, one of two things becomes true.

Either the CPU sucks and can't get anything going. Or, the CPU scores like crazy, but it's because they nail passes to players up field, and my players act like morons and try to intercept everything, letting him run right by them. This happens on runs a lot too. But, the CPU never really plays a short game.

It seems that the computer can't play a short game - I can't find a way to make them go for 5 yard passes, or cuts and things like that - they always seem to go for 10+ yards, and often really deep passes. I'm wondering if anyone has some slider suggestions that maybe make the CPU go for shorter gains sometimes. I'd like to see them making 5-6 yard passes, and going for two runs to try to pound the ball that extra 4-5 yards and what not - but I can't figure that out. It just seems the computer either breaks tons of tackles and scores TDs, or they can't do anything.
maybe custom playbooks are the answer i mean try to create a playbooks similar to a westcoast/run heavy playbook
Old 12-14-2005, 08:05 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Ok - so i'm starting to get something, but I need CPU offense help

Quote:
Either the CPU sucks and can't get anything going. Or, the CPU scores like crazy, but it's because they nail passes to players up field, and my players act like morons and try to intercept everything, letting him run right by them.

It seems that the computer can't play a short game - I can't find a way to make them go for 5 yard passes, or cuts and things like that - they always seem to go for 10+ yards, and often really deep passes.
The inconsistent play of the CPU offense can’t be fixed with sliders, from what I’ve seen. I’m starting to believe it’s keying off the Leadership rating, and it could also have to do with Consistency and even Composure. Regardless, the programming idea seems to have been to have teams play well one game, and then have a letdown in the next. Teams will even tear up the field in the first half of a game, and then go flat for the entire second half – I’ve seen that lots as well. My only suggestion would be to use Finn’s editor and bump everyone’s Leadership rating to 99 and see if that improves things (and play with EQ Off).

As suggested, the short passing game can only be improved via custom playbooks. The more short pass plays in the playbook, the more the CPU will choose them. And also remove the long pass plays one by one until you start seeing the results you’re looking for.

Last edited by baa7; 12-14-2005 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
Rookie

it seems that when the computer is losing (even 3-0 in the first quarter) they go nuts and throw every down and usually do a horrible job at it with alot of picks. but if they get up they play a balanced (60running-40passing) game and it plays normal. i dont know if it can be fixed in any way
Old 12-16-2005, 08:44 AM   #5
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06
it seems that when the computer is losing (even 3-0 in the first quarter) they go nuts and throw every down and usually do a horrible job at it with alot of picks. but if they get up they play a balanced (60running-40passing) game and it plays normal. i dont know if it can be fixed in any way
working on a westcoast/run heavy playbook for the computer to use that has no 3 step drops on passing plays and very few deeps routes the computer when throwing short and gets it running game going is tough this playbook has all of that and the computer does seem to play a more balanced game last game i was the bucs against the redskins and portis had 19 carries and 105 yards so they can run they even ran on third down which was a rarity for the cpu??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2005, 11:12 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06
I see that a lot. I would guess that has to do with the coach VIP's. I'm thinking of creating a couple of custom VIP's and loading them up for the CPU to use in-game, to see if that makes any difference.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:07 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:

It could be your defensive playcalling. If you are playing a lot of man coverages or cover 2 zones with the DBs close to the line of scrimmage, the AI will go over the top and beat your DBs 90% of the time if you have their sliders turned up. I found that when I manually shift my DBs away from the line or choose cover 8 or cover 12 zones in which the DBs are far away from the LOS, that the AI will pass to the RB often or run quick outs or inside slants to the WR. They will go deep every now and then, but that is how most teams approach the pass anyway.

Last edited by jdub2k4; 12-18-2005 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:19 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub2k4
It could be your defensive playcalling. If you are playing a lot of man coverages or cover 2 zones with the DBs close to the line of scrimmage, the AI will go over the top and beat your DBs 90% of the time if you have their sliders turned up.
Some good pointers, but there is no slider in 2K5 that determines whether or not the CPU QB throws deep or short. That has to do with the (flawed) programming and with the plays themselves. Simply put, they programmed the QB to throw deep, way too much in 2K5. It was their response to the game programming in 2K4, where the QB rarely threw deep. Same thing as the kick return programming: in 2K4, it was too easy to return, so they changed the programming in 2K5 and now it's near impossible and equally flawed.

Last edited by baa7; 12-19-2005 at 06:25 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »