Home

Why didn't 2K have a 2K Nation?

This is a discussion on Why didn't 2K have a 2K Nation? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-31-2005, 02:09 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 10
Why didn't 2K have a 2K Nation?

I'm sitting here watching Madden Nation on ESPN and was wondering why 2K didn't have a 2K Nation type tournament like Madden while they had the ESPN license. That would've help show people how 2K should be played and showed them how much better 2K is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2005, 02:22 AM   #2
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Why didn't 2K have a 2K Nation?

They did.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 12-31-2005, 02:42 AM   #3
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

2K has never really been masters of marketing.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:00 AM   #4
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
2K has never really been masters of marketing.
They never controlled their marketing.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 12-31-2005, 08:34 PM   #5
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Well whoever it was just didn't seem to get the job done.

There are too many people out there who play video game football who have never really seen NFL2k.

In their TV spots the last few years, it seems they tried to be like the competition and just throw some superstars on the screen. I don't know why they didn't showcase the graphics, weekly highlight show and other fantastic features.

Madden Nation is another example of EA's marketing prowess. A 30 minute commercial mixed in with reality tv. Even I have watched, and I have never really liked the game. It would have been interesting had they done it with 2K in the last year or two.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2005, 09:24 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
Well whoever it was just didn't seem to get the job done.
Who says they don’t control their marketing? What’s up with the 2K site, if that’s the case?

And the 2K site is a great example of how poorly 2K does in fact market these games. Take MLB 2K6: a few weeks ago the 2K site posts a press release and a few screens of 2K6 that look identical to 2K5. Nothing about “next-gen”, just “Here’s some screens of the upcoming game!” And so gamers are left speculating if these are in fact current-gen screens, and wondering if and when any Xbox 360 screens are going to come out, or if the 360 version will look any different from the current-gen game.

Meanwhile, MLB 2006 “The Show” has a full trailer out already with extensive game play footage… and all that for the PS2. Kicking butt marketing-wise, in other words.

2K’s releasing the only licensed MLB baseball game in conjunction with the launch (more or less) of a next generation game console, and all they can muster is a few confusing and uninspired screens – and no other info other than some developer’s interview comments stating the 360 version will look better. Very, very weird, and very inept marketing… whoever it is that’s running and controlling it.

Funny how some guy from VC shows up here a couple of weeks ago and defends T2/2K, saying they don’t an obligation to talk business strategy to the general public. Might be true, but when I read that comment, it only reinforced how disconnected these people apparently are from another realities – and how that same “We don’t need to tell nobody nothing” attitude comes across loud and clear in the marketing of their games.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:10 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 10

Just shows you that a second rate game can sell better with good marketing and a first rate game sell bad with really bad marketing.

Actually they did have a Titanium Bowl which was whack. I actually was in that. The guy I was supposed to play in the first round didn't show up to play and they still let him go to the next round even after I e-mailed them telling them he never showed up to play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »