Home

nfl 2k5 missed perfection by an ear shot

This is a discussion on nfl 2k5 missed perfection by an ear shot within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2006, 09:56 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 4
nfl 2k5 missed perfection by an ear shot

if i was to make an nfl2k5- championship edition i'd.

1.remove celebrities and their teams.voices and all to do with them.
2.espn 25yr mode.....all this would save space

fix
1.cornerback play
2.lineman-going in to dumb blocks.
3.weekly prep more direct /user friendly (the shh is like algebrah)
4.CPU-DRAFTING(more like 2k4)
5.player progression

add
1.better playoff-atmophere/presentation/ reactions
2.pre-probowl presentation complete with competitions.
3.in depth rookie training camp..
4.WAY BETTER draft day atmosphere/presentation.
5.coaches getting fired/retiring and going to other teams.
6.cpu generated coaches from college.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2006, 11:52 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: nfl 2k5 missed perfection by an ear shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by solja
if i was to make an nfl2k5- championship edition i'd.

1.remove celebrities and their teams.voices and all to do with them.
2.espn 25yr mode.....all this would save space

fix
1.cornerback play
2.lineman-going in to dumb blocks.
3.weekly prep more direct /user friendly (the shh is like algebrah)
4.CPU-DRAFTING(more like 2k4)
5.player progression

add
1.better playoff-atmophere/presentation/ reactions
2.pre-probowl presentation complete with competitions.
3.in depth rookie training camp..
4.WAY BETTER draft day atmosphere/presentation.
5.coaches getting fired/retiring and going to other teams.
6.cpu generated coaches from college.
Not bad. Here's what I would have done with 2k5 - Final Edition

Eliminate -

1) The Crib
2) ESPN 25
3) Classic Teams
4) Weekly Prep
5) Pre-season for the first season
6) All sliders for gameplay (AI is based on difficulty level. The harder the difficulty, the smarter the AI) and penalties (on/off only)

Bring back -

1) 2k - 2k3's play-calling
2) Pump up and quiet the crowd during gameplay ala 2k1
3) The three circles for catching (2k-2k3)

Fixed -

1) DB AI
2) Draft Logic
3) Player contracts (I hate seeing overpaid players get released and instead of being able to sign them for what they should be paid, you have to pay them what they were getting paid. For example, Texans OT Todd Wade gets $5m per year and if gets released by the Texans and you wanted to sign him, you will have to pay him $5m per season despite him being only worth $1.2m per season. That's bullcrap.)
4) Playbooks (I would allow you to eliminate and add any formation you want. No damn restrictions.)
5) Free Agent wire trick that allows you to pay any player only 200k per season.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:57 PM   #3
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Good points.

My only disagreement was with 25th anniversary mode. If they had done it right, it would have been cool. The numbers/names weren't correct or editable. Stadiums didn't always look right, nor did the weather. Basically they weren't really able to capture historical feel which is the case with most sports games that throw in a few historical teams/features.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:55 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 15

I knew I forgot to bring back something.

Depth Chart from 2k3/2k4.

NEW -

The biggest franchise mode ever -

Off-season is as follows -

1) Retirement period (Ability to sign players out of retirement from other teams as long as the players retiring were scheduled to be free agents)

2) Head Coach period (Ability to fire your HC but if you do and theres no one that you wanted, you will not be allowed to bring back the HC you just fired. Basically, firing your HC can get you stuck with a worse HC. All HC's have overall ratings. The HC's overall rating comes in to play when signing players in the free agent wire. Also, if your HC is a defensive coach, your chances of signing top defensive players in the free agent wire will be better then signing offensive players)

3) Salary Cap period (Anyone who follows the NFL knows that February is when players with huge cap numbers for the following season get released or have their contracts redone. Here's where you can re-negotiate a players contract, re-structure a players contract, franchise and transition tag free agents (re-signing period has been removed), and release players who may not want to re-negotiate or re-structure their contract.)

4) NFL Combine (same as 2k3-2k5 but with 30, 45 and 60 scouting hours depending on your team's record)

5) Free Agent Wire (similar setup as 2k3-2k5 but with better AI. Also, offering a contract to a player is different. You offer a player a package contract for years, salary and bonus. For example, 5 years / $30m with a $10m bonus. If the player accepts, you can then set up the contract such as backloaded, balanced, etc. and setup the bonus money separate which is what the penalty amount would be based on if you release or trade the player. If you give the player $2m per season bonus and release him with three years left on his contract, you'll get hit with a $6m cap penalty. You can also trade your franchise / transition tagged player and trade for players who are on the trading block. Your HC's overall rating also impacts your ability as to whether or not players accept your contract offer.)

6) NFL Draft (similar setup as 2k3-2k5 but with better AI. CPU will trade down or up depending on needs, etc. Take the Texans for example, instead of drafting Bush which wont help whatsoever except for cap issues, they would trade down a few spots, acquire extra picks and still get who they should draft, OT Ferguson. Also, when team's are on the clock, you can offer a trade if you want and the CPU will offer you trades when its your turn.)

7) Rookie Signing Period (Signing rookies works the same as signing free agents in the free agent wire)

8) June 1st Cuts (Releasing players with cap penalties during this period will spread the penalty amount evenly over two seasons)

9) Player Holdouts (Paying a 95 rated player an 85 rated player's salary? Not for long. Players holdout for more money, a longer contract, a trade or to be flat out released. If any holdout isnt solved in this period, the player sits out the entire year. This will hurt the player's rating and if its a superstar player, your HC's rating will be hurt as well.)

10) Training Camp (think of Madden's mini-camp but blown up. The major difference is that during drills, the player you're using has a "health" bar under the player. The health bar is like a street light. Green, Yellow and Red. If the player's health is green, he's 100% healthy. If the player's health is yellow, it means caution and that you're on the verge of overworking the player. If the player's health is red, that means the player is in danger of getting injured from being overworked.)

That's the off-season. You can also change a player's position, jersey number and equipment. There's a lot more but I cant remember it all offhand.

Oh well. 2k5 isnt perfect but its still the best football game ever.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
Not bad. Here's what I would have done with 2k5 - Final Edition

Eliminate -

1) The Crib
2) ESPN 25
3) Classic Teams
4) Weekly Prep
5) Pre-season for the first season
6) All sliders for gameplay (AI is based on difficulty level. The harder the difficulty, the smarter the AI) and penalties (on/off only)

Bring back -

1) 2k - 2k3's play-calling
2) Pump up and quiet the crowd during gameplay ala 2k1
3) The three circles for catching (2k-2k3)

Fixed -

1) DB AI
2) Draft Logic
3) Player contracts (I hate seeing overpaid players get released and instead of being able to sign them for what they should be paid, you have to pay them what they were getting paid. For example, Texans OT Todd Wade gets $5m per year and if gets released by the Texans and you wanted to sign him, you will have to pay him $5m per season despite him being only worth $1.2m per season. That's bullcrap.)
4) Playbooks (I would allow you to eliminate and add any formation you want. No damn restrictions.)
5) Free Agent wire trick that allows you to pay any player only 200k per season.

HOLD UP---WHY U NOT FEELING THE CRIB--it's something to do..just something to tinker with and i find myself tinkering with it for about an hour after i felt like turning off the game..

WEEKLY PREP-is allright--it shouldn't be scrapped..but made more direct so a user can know what his actions will result to..

THUMBS UP ON EVERYTHING ELSE..
also a choice of 2k1's play calling an 2k5's on screen..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 1

I agree - with just a few tweaks, the 2k football games could have been near perfect. 2k5 was so close.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:02 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 21

No classic teams??? Surely you jest!!

; )

C
Old 01-24-2006, 11:22 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 26

They should keep everything they incorporated into the game. What messed up everything especially the DB's and it wasn't the AI, it was the incorporation of the momentum system. It was over done or not ready for retail, all quick changes resulted in over exagerated(sp) turns i.e. when running the ball a quick turn resulted in steering the boat type of out of control type mechanic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »