Home

2K/EA Truce?

This is a discussion on 2K/EA Truce? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2006, 03:57 PM   #17
OS Managing Ed., 2002-07

sdrotar's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: 2K/EA Truce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboo
Not necessarily true. They're being investigated by the SEC because these numbers might be inaccurate and padded through a lot of shady book keeping.

There's no doubt they're in trouble. It's just a matter of how much trouble? We'll find out once the SEC is done with their investigation.

Some of the quotes I've read:

-Take Two has burned through about $200 million in cash over the past fiscal year, slicing its cash position to $100 million from $300 million, according to Securities and Exchange Commission filings. **Not good at all**

-TTWO is not well-run, overly dependent on one product and will likely have to raise additional capital to survive.

My guess is that they'll sell out their subsidiaries at some point (VC, 2K, Rockstar etc...). If not, they need to hope the SEC findings aren't significant and then need to have a huge turnaround.

Yeah. The last few months have had ominous overtones. We'll see.
Even at worst, though - someone would buy 2K Sports - they're way too good to pass on. Activision has a sports portfolio of a sort, and Ubisoft is just getting into the market themselves.
Even Midway has a pile of cash, and they're looking for something to spend it on.

Whatever happens to Take-Two, I'm confident that 2K Sports' products and teams will be around in some fashion.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:00 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows2
But for everyone to say MLB vs NFL isn't equality. Then obviously thats your opinion.
No, that would be a fact. If you look up football game sales and compare them to baseball game sales then you'll see that the NFL license is much more valuable than the MLB one.

Quote:
EA making NCAA Baseball is a joke...even with Fairdales rosters...I just didn't care for this game along with alot of other people...
While it is almost certainly a fact that you and a lot of other people didn't care for the game, the suggestion that EA making this game is a joke is just an opinion. A quick visit to the MVP NCAA forum shows that there are many people who are quite pleased with the game and even happy that an NCAA game was finally made. So to say that no one cares is onceagain, your opinion.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:05 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrotar
Yeah. The last few months have had ominous overtones. We'll see.
Even at worst, though - someone would buy 2K Sports - they're way too good to pass on. Activision has a sports portfolio of a sort, and Ubisoft is just getting into the market themselves.
Even Midway has a pile of cash, and they're looking for something to spend it on.

Whatever happens to Take-Two, I'm confident that 2K Sports' products and teams will be around in some fashion.
That's my thought as well. Even if things hit rock bottom for Take-Two, I'm sure 2K will land on their feet somewhere else. In the long run, it might be for the better anyhow.

Lots of speculation at the moment though. We'll have to see how the entire thing plays out.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:09 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 15

behindshadows2.....

I think you might have misunderstood me. I personally dont have any interest in any MLB, NBA and NHL games or even the sports themselves. I'm an NFL nut but no matter how "nutty" I get, I will never ever buy Madden unless its VC developing it with 100% total and complete control. As for sales and whatnot, NFL crushes the other three combined. But whatever, I'll just keep playing 2k5 and 2k3.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:12 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

As for the RUMOR. I'm having a hard-time believing it because were talking about Liscensing Deals. As for Take-2 as a company, they have made some changes on their board since former CFO of the NFL Barbara A. Kaczynski resigned.... What this will do for the company only time will tell.

http://ir.take2games.com/ReleaseDeta...leaseID=185459

I'm incline to think what joeboo posted would be correct. Before they just give-up Rockstar, they'll sell-off VC & 2K Games. I personally would prefer if Take-2 was to sell off VC & 2K GAMES, they be acquired by either Microsoft or Ubisoft & not EA.

Last edited by bigfnjoe96; 01-31-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2006, 04:15 PM   #22
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralfan
While I wish this was true, I can't see EA agreeing to let 2K make an NFL game in exchange for them being allowed to make a MLB game. The numbers don't add up. The video game baseball market is MUCH smaller than the football market. In order for this truce to happen I'm guessing the amount 2K would have to pay to EA for the NFL license would be significantly bigger than what EA pays 2K for the MLB license.
Absolutely. That truce is as likely as Jerry Jones agreeing to split all his revenue with the Saints. One franchise is worth a billion and one worth much less than that. If TT is having serious cash problems, they wouldn't be able to buy back the difference.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:58 PM   #23
Pro

OVR: 9

This is not going to happen. The biggest reason why is because EA & the NFL signed a deal, and TT & MLB signed a deal. Even "if" EA and TT were to want to arrange something, it doesn't matter. They can't just tear up their contracts with the NFL and MLB. I'm sure that neither the NFL or MLB would allow that to happen.

This is all just a pipe dream. Not to mention there is no way guys at EA are working on an MLB game while the "supposed" deal is still being worked out. They couldn't legally work on anything MLB until a deal was final.

In other news, the tooth fairy and easter bunny have agreed to a deal whereby an easter egg will be given to each child who leaves a tooth under thier pillow.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:38 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 28

The deal could happen but it would all depend on the contracts between the NFL and EA and the contracts between T2 and the MLB. Also , since nobody knows the REAL number that EA paid the NFL again EA may be looking to recoup some cash. I'm pretty sure that EA's finacial teams have done some projections and maybe things don't look at rosey as first believed. And if 2k is working on some type of football game and it looks very promising then EA might blink. Think about it. If they 2K has a great game coming out that EA knows it can't touch every sale from that game goes straight to 2K without one penny going to EA however if EA lends the NFL license to 2K they will be getting some of the action.

Trust me if 2K has a game in the works EA knows more about it than we do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »