Home

2K/EA Truce?

This is a discussion on 2K/EA Truce? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2006, 08:44 AM   #33
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: 2K/EA Truce?

EA buying Take Two and having VC make Madden would be great. The only problem is VC left EA because of Madden. People forget Madden missed the PS1 launch because of it. Everybody at VC would quit and form another company.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:00 AM   #34
Pro

KBomber's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeist
EA buying Take Two and having VC make Madden would be great. The only problem is VC left EA because of Madden. People forget Madden missed the PS1 launch because of it. Everybody at VC would quit and form another company.
Once again, it's baseless and bogus

Wishing will not make it so

Have fun...........

What I think I think:
• Y'know, I've never played less NBA 2K than I did with NBA 2K12
• Sports VG titles were REALLY disappointing in 2011-12
• Thank Heaven for ME3 and Arkham City -- saved my winter
Old 02-01-2006, 09:19 AM   #35
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrotar
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

After both companies shell out nearly a billion - with a "b" - dollars for exclusivity deals, does anyone rational really think they'd simply agree to "let" another manufacturer go around it?

What possible reason would compel either EA or 2K to do this?
The NFL games always make more money, so it'd be foolhardy for EA to do such a thing, and besides - they'd need the NFL's and MLB's blessings for any such arrangement.

In short - somebody's wishing upon a star... and not very realistically, either.
Playing devil's advocate here. Suppose if part of the deal included Take Two/2K paying EA royalties for each NFL game they pay and if they were forced by EA to sell the game at no lower than $49 current gen systems and $59 next gen systems. I could see EA making money off this deal.

It would be very cool if it were true but i'm not holding my breath.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2006, 09:19 AM   #36
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by murry
First and foremost, I do not put the full blame on EA; they are a business who's primary purpose is to "make money." My problem is with the NFL. The NFL knew of all of the competing football game companies, and made a business decision to sell the exclusive rights to EA for "the all mighy dollar." The NFL put business before morals. The NFL could have informed EA that they wanted their license to be shared by all NFL game companies, so that they could appeal to all of us that love the sport; despite what title you choose to play. Not only does it encourage more people to enjoy your sport, it also encourages companies to work hard at creating a good product that accurately represents the NFL (through competition). Competition is what the NFL is about. That is why we play and watch the games, and for the NFL to stifle competition by selling EA their exclusive rights, was nothing short of being a hypocrite. The NFL claims to be so image conscious, but there deal with EA tells people that good competion takes a back seat to power and money.

Although is was a good marketing strategy, TT made a bad business move by selling their games at $19.99. Unfortunately, EA took advantage of the situation and made a great business move and purchased the NFL license. TT can not come close to EA financially (see the cost of EA shares), thus the purchase of a five year license has financially crushed TT/VC; since 2K football was their best selling sports game. EA made another smart decision by creating a college baseball game to circumvent the lost that they would endure from not releasing a MLB game. EA circled the wagon and is holding all the good cards and has no reason to make a deal with anyone. Unfortunately, TT will not be able to survive a five year lay off and if they do, the game would be way behind Madden and would have to build the game and their fan base from scratch. TT/VC should create an alternate football league and create a game based on that, if they want to survive (sell it for $19.99); while they still have fan support.

EA is a billion dollar per year+ company with great business people, and with a welfare mentality when it comes to producing a good product. Unfortunately, TT is a million+(meaning millions) dollar per year company with mediocre business people, and a billion+ dollar product and tallent (VC).

Please prove me wrong.

2K for life

I never knew 2K football games out sold Madden so whats another 5 years. I don't see the problem with 2K releasing a generic football game at a lower price although after playing Madden on the 360 I would pay full price for a 2K football game. The $20 dollar price tag of 2K's ESPN games forced EA to buy all those football licenses. People weren't buying ESPN because they weren't going to buy another football game at $50. VC and TT knew this. They had to make it cheap enough that Madden fans would give it a try. It was working because Madden fans were starting to like ESPN 2K5. EA stop that by buying the NFL, AFL and NCAA football licenses. Also Take Two has a few very good franchises.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:37 AM   #37
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCdolphin

If Take-Two does have to sell off VC/2K Sports, I'd love to see Microsoft grab them. They would make some incredible games by being focused on just ONE console, and MS could easily outbid EA for the NFL license, or any other license they wanted, if it comes down to that.
I don't think as big as MS is they want to pi$$ off EA with a move like that. One of the reasons why EA now supports Xbox Live is because MS dumped their sports titles.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #38
OS Managing Ed., 2002-07

sdrotar's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster
Playing devil's advocate here. Suppose if part of the deal included Take Two/2K paying EA royalties for each NFL game they pay and if they were forced by EA to sell the game at no lower than $49 current gen systems and $59 next gen systems. I could see EA making money off this deal.

It would be very cool if it were true but i'm not holding my breath.
No way. Why would the NFL approve that?
They went with the one-developer option so unify and solidify their brand.
I don't think it was a wise decision, but obviously the NFL does - and there's no reason whatsoever to believe that they would approve such a plan.

Besides, it's not all about making the quick buck. EA would be foolish to allow another manufacturer to break into their market unnecessarily, and since they don't have to - they won't.

Simple as that.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:28 AM   #39
MVP

BDawg35's Arena

OVR: 14

Well, it's been established now that the original post was bogus.

Even if there was still any debate, why would EA want to consent to another company doing a football game if they got rights to an MLB game? Football WAY outsells baseball ... it makes no sense.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:28 AM   #40
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster
I don't think as big as MS is they want to pi$$ off EA with a move like that. One of the reasons why EA now supports Xbox Live is because MS dumped their sports titles.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »