Home

Jeez, what horrible off-season AI

This is a discussion on Jeez, what horrible off-season AI within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2006, 05:39 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Jeez, what horrible off-season AI

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackal25
Why'd you like 2k3 best Dan? Just curious.
I'm not Dan... but I also thought some aspects of 2K3 were better by far. There seemed to be more animations, if that's in fact what made the onfield action seem much more varied than 2K4 and 5. But like most older versions of the same game, 2K5 and 5 had too much other stuff going for them to keep me interested in 2K3, regardless of its strengths.

If it weren't for the bad-angle pursuit glitch in 2K4, I'd never play 2k5. Too many problems in that game that can't be overcome except by turning a blind eye.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:03 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguit
Gee, like that couldn't happen in real life. Sounds like 2K got this down at least...
It's not that these kind of questionnable moves never happen in real life, It's the sheer number of them in the game that is being criticized. To be honest, if I had to choose between a game where all CPU teams are managed intelligently and one where dumb moves occur all the time, I'd take the first one even though it misses the bad moves that occur in real life. At least that way it's a better challenge for the user.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:00 AM   #35
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackal25
Why'd you like 2k3 best Dan? Just curious. I remember the game being extremely fun and having a pretty good franchise mode...I think it allowed for coach editting as well. It really was a shame 2k5 took so many steps forward and steps back at the same time.

Any chance we'll see another editor Finn? Please...
There are several reasons.

1) No gimmicks.

No Crib, no Franchise Goals, no Weekly Prep, etc. Just play baby.

2) Play Calling menu.

When I first played 2k1 on DC, I was blown away by the play-calling screen because the players and routes were shown "on-screen". The play-calling from 2k-2k3 was original, unique, innovative and quite simply, better then the small old obsolete my players routes get cut off and cant see where they are going boxes. VC changed it to add more "presentation" and to get Madden players to switch over.

3) Depth Chart.

Except for the kick and punt returners, I hate 2k5's depth chart. Its crap and in my opinion, is the reason why bugs such as the starting QB being replaced in the playoffs by the backup despite still being on the team and healthy happen.

4) Weather.

The rain and snow in 2k3 blow away 2k5 (and 2k4). In 2k5, when you're playing in a heavy snowstorm, it looks like flurries and when kicking off, there's little snow or rain in the foreground. All the weather is in the background and I hate that. Its fake. There cant be a downpour on only half the stadium. That's impossible. Also, when you see the cutscenes, there's no rain or snow whatsoever. It even looks like its sunny when its not.

5) Gameplay.

While the "challenge" setup is good in 2k5 and the animations are far superior (especially with the gang tackling), 2k5 seems to slow down a lot when playing. The fluidness that was in 2k3 is gone. It could be because of the momentum in 2k5 but I noticed slowdown in 2k4 especially when tackling. It just seems that the gameplay slows down when there's contact involved.

Also, when passing, in 2k3 there were "three circles" on the field which was great because they were there for a reason. One circle lets you catch the ball in stride while one circle lets you jump for the ball while the last circle usually makes your receiver bend down to catch a pass that is near his feet. This was great for catching passes that are lobbed.

In 2k5, lobbed passes are nearly impossible to catch because your timing has to be near perfect and you have to almost be directly on that little blue marker. I hate that. I hate it when my receiver is open and the ball bounces of his head, arms, chest, side, etc. and falls incomplete. I especially love it when momentum kicks in and my receives decides to stop and turn in the other direction.

Those are just a few reasons but there are plenty more. If it wasnt for Finn's editor, I wouldnt have an Xbox and I would still be playing 2k3 on my ps2 while 2k5 would just sit there and collect dust.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2006, 10:24 AM   #36
Daydream Believer

Flyboy's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralfan
It's not that these kind of questionnable moves never happen in real life, It's the sheer number of them in the game that is being criticized.
Bingo. I could understand a team selecting a RB when they already have one but nearly 6-8 teams doing that in the first round? No sir.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:26 PM   #37
MVP

OVR: 9

One way to make sure u dont dominate in drafts is to not edit players. Unless ur editing the name or face/look, just dont edit their stats, cuz that makes it so easy for u to pick any1 u want and build a championship team.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenbagamer
One way to make sure u dont dominate in drafts is to not edit players. Unless ur editing the name or face/look, just dont edit their stats, cuz that makes it so easy for u to pick any1 u want and build a championship team.
But even then, the fact that the CPU only drafts 4 positions in the first round means that there are geat players at every other position that are available for you to take much later than they should remain on the board.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:51 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 1

Like AI, I only draft HBs, QBs, OTs, and DEs in the 1st round. This kinda turns the 1st round into a 1st round for those four positions only and the second round into the 1a round . This helps me to avoid a situation when I can draft a best play from any position other than the above four.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »