Home

I know you might not like this but it has to be said!!!

This is a discussion on I know you might not like this but it has to be said!!! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2006, 12:55 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 11
I know you might not like this but it has to be said!!!

Okay, so I got pumped up and ready to go over the past two to three days looking at all the time, achievements, builds, and edits that numerous amounts of guys have put into making this game live on. So in my research, I was sold when i seen the draft screens of the new rookie class Phil posted...I was so elated, that I went out and bout a Xbox, NFL 2k5 for 3.99, HD/AV Kit, and got a Xbox mem card from my little cousin.

I got home and man...I'm moving things here, throwing stuff there, wiring this thing to that doohickee, and feeling great about what I am about to witness (We are all witnesses)

*Fast Forward*
I stayed up all last night doing roster edits and modifications from Phils roster to my own liking...I get to the menu screen from bootup (Im running this in HD) and the menu screen looked grainy...I was like ugghh...'I have to give it a chance" it is and older game. I go to the player edit screen and I go bonkerz..What the crap is this...Vernon Davis arms looked like muppet babies arms. I started to simmer and boil and think "I just wasted almost 200 bux on this stuff..I go to play a game and much to my surprise the game looked no where compared to what I thought it would look...I think I may have overhyped myself...I am a rabid 2k fan butthere is no way that I could continue to play this game over and over. I kept trying but sad to say, I couldnt force myself any longer...Yes it's fun and it brought back alot of old memories...

But having a 360 and the graphical improvements Madden does look rather smooth compared to 2k..but I realized man...What if...I start running all the scenarios about 2k sports making a football game again..What if they had made a 2k7 for 360 what would it look like...I watched the tribute video @ 2ksports and cried and missed it.

Well guys I dunno why I posted this, maybe I am venting my frustration to my buddies in 2k land here or I'm just wacked out from insomnia
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2006, 01:40 AM   #2
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: I know you might not like this but it has to be said!!!

Be careful.....looks can kill.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:05 AM   #3
Think Different

onetonmartin's Arena

OVR: 9

I'm right with ya. Madden looks VERY nice on the 360 and it plays a pretty good game of football.

If/when 2k comes back.. it will STEAL the show with it's gameplay, graphics and style.

...we're still without a football game though
Old 05-22-2006, 12:35 PM   #4
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

The problem with Madden is it still feels like a PS1 game, when playing it on 360, the graphics even with more detail, still don't look realistic....NFL players do not look like steroid gorilla's...As Madden every year can't get right.

The crowd models are also mediocre. Stadiums were nice, crowd was crap, a bunch of fat guys in polo's swinging their arms isn't a crowd.

In all 2ksports games including NFL 2k5, they implemented all races, as well as male and females. Madden isn't fun on 360, I've played it so much and still find myself scoring at will....1st Quarter ending with scores like 24 to 36 and half time going like 86 to 61....thats not realistic.

Even with outdated graphics. NFL 2k5 on the XBOX not the PS2...is still a better overall game. The gameplay, presentation, atmosphere and all out entertainment level...Is still unmatched with every EA outing...

Graphics or not, its still better to play....Like an above post said.

Even if 2ksports released a generic customizable football game at 39.99 or even 49.99...

It would outsell Madden 07 or 08, instantly...Especially when online modders make it NFL with full logos, like they do every year with Winning Eleven...

Everyone on Next Gen...360 or PS3 will be like Madden who?

2ksports just don't know, how much a Football Game period, non NFL or not, will easily damage Madden sells even more....

But my friend, you didn't waste your money, you did a great thing..your focusing on the wrong thing. The thing that made 2k5 so great, is its representation of the NFL...and EA still doesn't do that..until they can beat a current gen game as far as that goes...Madden will always be second best....

Until then regardless of graphics, since they were given that option...They still are beneath 2k5 as an overall NFL game...

Last edited by Behindshadows; 05-22-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

I thought this game looked good in HD? I thought someone said that this game was compatible..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2006, 04:10 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows2
Even if 2ksports released a generic customizable football game at 39.99 or even 49.99...

It would outsell Madden 07 or 08, instantly...
While I agree that it would most likely be a stellar game, 2K has never outsold Madden overall. The XBOX version of 2K5 outsold (it sold over 1.5 million copies) the XBOX version of Madden but the PS2 version of Madden(over 3.2 million) sold twice as many copies as the XBOX version of 2K5 and three times as many copies of PS2 2K5 (about 1 milion coming in 10th for total sales in 2004). Since I only got figures for the top 10 games, I don't know what the XBOX Madden did as far as sales. Still, PS2 Madden, with it's approximate 3.2 million outsold both versions of 2K5 combined (total of around 2.5 million). That was with a fully licensed NFL game with excellent gameplay, better graphics and awesome presentation selling for 19.99.

Like I said, it would most likely be a much better game than Madden on 360, but it's pretty far-fetched to think it would instantly outsell Madden since the price advantage would undoubtedly be less than it was in 2004 and there would not be a license, real teams, stadiums, etc.

Personnally, some of the issues in 2K5 were too much for me (franchise CPU AI, poor CPU offensive play, especially passing, all issues that weren't in 2K4) but I still recognize that it was a great game and would have only gotten better. Fortunately, I also enjoy Madden so I'm not as distraught as some others are here. I'd buy a generic game but I do not expect it would do very well in sales unless it had an angle like Blitz. Such an angle however might take away from what the game did best ie represent the NFL.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:23 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralfan
While I agree that it would most likely be a stellar game, 2K has never outsold Madden overall. The XBOX version of 2K5 outsold (it sold over 1.5 million copies) the XBOX version of Madden but the PS2 version of Madden(over 3.2 million) sold twice as many copies as the XBOX version of 2K5 and three times as many copies of PS2 2K5 (about 1 milion coming in 10th for total sales in 2004). Since I only got figures for the top 10 games, I don't know what the XBOX Madden did as far as sales. Still, PS2 Madden, with it's approximate 3.2 million outsold both versions of 2K5 combined (total of around 2.5 million). That was with a fully licensed NFL game with excellent gameplay, better graphics and awesome presentation selling for 19.99.

Like I said, it would most likely be a much better game than Madden on 360, but it's pretty far-fetched to think it would instantly outsell Madden since the price advantage would undoubtedly be less than it was in 2004 and there would not be a license, real teams, stadiums, etc.

Personnally, some of the issues in 2K5 were too much for me (franchise CPU AI, poor CPU offensive play, especially passing, all issues that weren't in 2K4) but I still recognize that it was a great game and would have only gotten better. Fortunately, I also enjoy Madden so I'm not as distraught as some others are here. I'd buy a generic game but I do not expect it would do very well in sales unless it had an angle like Blitz. Such an angle however might take away from what the game did best ie represent the NFL.
I have to agree with Spectral...the odds of 2k outselling Madden would be slim, especially w/o an NFL license, though you can't be so certain had the deal never been made as it seemed momentum had been shifting in 2k's favor. Franchise mode was messed up in 2k, but I didn't ever have any problems with the CPU's offensive play (EQ On, CPU sliders all the way up, Human sliders at All Pro) but Madden isn't w/o major problems in franchise either. Doesn't it bother anyone that they still have the draft before the FA period or that you must have a certain number of QBs, WRs, and every other position on your team? When has the NFL ever stopped a team from having only a few OLBs? I don't know what's more annoying, a major glitch or serious design flaws.

I agree that without a gimmick or angle, 2k wouldn't do well on the market...I wonder what would happen if 2k made a sim football game with the more "adult" off field themes. I'd love it if I had a 2k game and I had to weigh the pros and cons of signing a TO type player who might take my team the SuperBowl or tear it apart from the inside out...or consider taking a gamble on drafting a talented but troubled player like Marcus Vick. Adding player personalities and off field problems are things the NFL won't allow to happen with a license, but could really help sell a game.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackal25
I agree that without a gimmick or angle, 2k wouldn't do well on the market...I wonder what would happen if 2k made a sim football game with the more "adult" off field themes. I'd love it if I had a 2k game and I had to weigh the pros and cons of signing a TO type player who might take my team the SuperBowl or tear it apart from the inside out...or consider taking a gamble on drafting a talented but troubled player like Marcus Vick. Adding player personalities and off field problems are things the NFL won't allow to happen with a license, but could really help sell a game.
Agreed. Unfortunately, for that to happen, 2K/VC has to believe it's worthwhile.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »