Home

Attn: Bears Fans!!!! How fast is Devin Hester???

This is a discussion on Attn: Bears Fans!!!! How fast is Devin Hester??? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2006, 07:15 AM   #17
MVP

slapnutz2k2's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Attn: Bears Fans!!!! How fast is Devin Hester???

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyQ
So by my counts, which many will not like, Hester should have a 96 speed rating with a 82 agility rating.
Watch the videos again and still say that his agility should be 82.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:41 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapnutz2k2
Watch the videos again and still say that his agility should be 82.
It was nice in all, but VC used the short shuttle time as their measurement, and after finding a very close chart with their current players, his 4.20 short shuttle time still equates to a 82.

For Mr. Hester to have gotten the 90+ agility you would have liked, he would have had to ran the short shuttle at 4.04 or under, like Donald Strickland did (4.04). Again, this is by VC's standards, not mine.

Also, if you look at Bernard Berrian's default agility rating, he ran a 4.21, and his agility rating is an 83.

So 82, 83, or 84 sound just about right to me. If you want to boost your players, feel free. But if you want realism, Devin should get no higher than an 84 agility rating.

Oh BTW, don't feel bad. Another KR that was "known" for their great agility also only ran a 4.20 and will only have a 82 agility rating also. That player is Skyler Green.

Funny how reality is different from illusions. Especially vs Duke ...... LOL, J/K
Old 06-14-2006, 11:19 AM   #19
MVP

slapnutz2k2's Arena

I never heard of Skyler Green until I was updating my roster and VC's default ratings were off when the game was first released.

Seriously, Devin's agility is unmatched when he has the ball in his hands. Sure his coverage and catching is less than par, but I'm sure the Bears picked him for his return ability.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:57 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapnutz2k2
I never heard of Skyler Green until I was updating my roster and VC's default ratings were off when the game was first released.

Seriously, Devin's agility is unmatched when he has the ball in his hands. Sure his coverage and catching is less than par, but I'm sure the Bears picked him for his return ability.
How were VC's ratings off?

EVERYONE was on the same scale, which, IMO, it the BEST way to do it. No one is special, and no one gets and "extra" boost in the rating.

Besides, if you think VC's ratings are messed up, try Madden's, which never resemble the truth. Once a player gets good in the NFL, all madden does is make them faster than everyone else.

For example: Brian Westbrook
He ran a 4.57 at his combine, which was considerably slower than Josh Scobey's 4.42, and at the very same combine in 2002.
But yet in Madden 2006, Westbrook had a speed rating of 94, while Scobey came in at a 88.
But in NFL 2K5 Westbrook has a 83 speed rating, while Scobey has a speed rating of 90.

Obviously 2K5 went with the REAL WORLD 40 time, not the perceived 40 time that the crack heads at EA think up.

BTW, a 4.57 = 84, and a 4.42 = 92 on my chart. So even my chart is a little off, but it is a STEADY scale in which to rate players.

So, I ask again, how are VC's ratings off?
If everyone is accounted to the same scale, how can it be perceived as being unrealistic?

So, regardless Devin only ran a 4.20 in the short shuttle, which is still better than average.

And let's be realistic here, Devin does not have "unmatched" agility.
Even some WR's in the same draft class beat Devin's Short Shuttle #'s, which is used to measure agility.
  • Chad Jackson = 4.03, or 92 agility rating
  • Demetrius Williams = 4.08, or 90 agility rating
  • Greg Jennings = 4.18, or 85 agility rating
  • Derek Hagan = 4.07, or 90 agility rating
So as you can see, Devin's closest time matches with Greg Jennings, so how can Hester be rated over an 85, when he clearly had the slower short shuttle time?

I understand he is your boy and all, but if Everything was determined by tape, why have the NFL combine, or Pro Days? Why have players run 40 times, short shuttles, bench press 225, or do vertical jumps?

They do it to get the truth, so in cases like Chad Greenway, where everyone believed he ran in the very low 4.5's, but when it came down to combine he ran a 4.76. He did however redeem himself slightly by running a 4.60 at his Pro Day. But yet, on film, he still moved very fast, how is that? Maybe it is because he was able to break the play down and react much faster than other LB's could. So in his case, his Run Coverage and Coverage ratings would be slightly higher than average to offset his lack of great speed.

EVERYTHING I do to rate players are off the same scale period.
I do it so that the measurable ratings (speed, strength, agility, and jumping) are all relative to the real life test used to measure them (40 time, 225 bench press, short shuttle, and vert jump).

If you don't like realism and want to give you boy a rating boost, there is nothing I would want to do to stop you. But if you want REALISTIC ratings for Devin Hester then his...

Speed = 95 for his 4.35 40
Strength = 51 for his 16 225lbs bench reps
Agility = 84 for his 4.20 short shuttle
Jumping = 83 for his 38" vert jump
Old 06-14-2006, 04:40 PM   #21
MVP

slapnutz2k2's Arena

September. Done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2006, 08:28 AM   #22
Youtube Innovators

The Lob Mob's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyQ
How were VC's ratings off?

EVERYONE was on the same scale, which, IMO, it the BEST way to do it. No one is special, and no one gets and "extra" boost in the rating.

Besides, if you think VC's ratings are messed up, try Madden's, which never resemble the truth. Once a player gets good in the NFL, all madden does is make them faster than everyone else.

For example: Brian Westbrook
He ran a 4.57 at his combine, which was considerably slower than Josh Scobey's 4.42, and at the very same combine in 2002.
But yet in Madden 2006, Westbrook had a speed rating of 94, while Scobey came in at a 88.
But in NFL 2K5 Westbrook has a 83 speed rating, while Scobey has a speed rating of 90.

Obviously 2K5 went with the REAL WORLD 40 time, not the perceived 40 time that the crack heads at EA think up.

BTW, a 4.57 = 84, and a 4.42 = 92 on my chart. So even my chart is a little off, but it is a STEADY scale in which to rate players.

So, I ask again, how are VC's ratings off?
If everyone is accounted to the same scale, how can it be perceived as being unrealistic?

So, regardless Devin only ran a 4.20 in the short shuttle, which is still better than average.

And let's be realistic here, Devin does not have "unmatched" agility.
Even some WR's in the same draft class beat Devin's Short Shuttle #'s, which is used to measure agility.
  • Chad Jackson = 4.03, or 92 agility rating
  • Demetrius Williams = 4.08, or 90 agility rating
  • Greg Jennings = 4.18, or 85 agility rating
  • Derek Hagan = 4.07, or 90 agility rating
So as you can see, Devin's closest time matches with Greg Jennings, so how can Hester be rated over an 85, when he clearly had the slower short shuttle time?

I understand he is your boy and all, but if Everything was determined by tape, why have the NFL combine, or Pro Days? Why have players run 40 times, short shuttles, bench press 225, or do vertical jumps?

They do it to get the truth, so in cases like Chad Greenway, where everyone believed he ran in the very low 4.5's, but when it came down to combine he ran a 4.76. He did however redeem himself slightly by running a 4.60 at his Pro Day. But yet, on film, he still moved very fast, how is that? Maybe it is because he was able to break the play down and react much faster than other LB's could. So in his case, his Run Coverage and Coverage ratings would be slightly higher than average to offset his lack of great speed.

EVERYTHING I do to rate players are off the same scale period.
I do it so that the measurable ratings (speed, strength, agility, and jumping) are all relative to the real life test used to measure them (40 time, 225 bench press, short shuttle, and vert jump).

If you don't like realism and want to give you boy a rating boost, there is nothing I would want to do to stop you. But if you want REALISTIC ratings for Devin Hester then his...

Speed = 95 for his 4.35 40
Strength = 51 for his 16 225lbs bench reps
Agility = 84 for his 4.20 short shuttle
Jumping = 83 for his 38" vert jump
Wow that's a great post....how do you come up with those ratings. . . what's the mathmatical formula. . . .. I would like to use this to prove to my (Madden loving fan boy) friend that Corey Dillon is not a 92 in speed. . . .Thank you.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:43 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entiel
Wow that's a great post....how do you come up with those ratings. . . what's the mathmatical formula. . . .. I would like to use this to prove to my (Madden loving fan boy) friend that Corey Dillon is not a 92 in speed. . . .Thank you.
Well I am still working on the charts with little tweekings here and there, but they were derived from actual ratings from the orignal rosters which conicidently are extremely close to the real life workout #'s of the players.

I would love to assist you in your Corey Dillon situation, but I can only go back to the 1999 Draft and Corey was drafted in 1997. Sorry man.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 17

can't wait til the season starts...
I am glad I got the Buell- I love riding it, I love the oddball looks I get on the road- I love people asking "What IS that thing?" I love flying into a corner WAY too hot, scared spitless and sure I'll never hold it at this speed- and hearing the bike whisper "Sissy!"...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »