Home

Finn...any chance for a 2K4 editor?

This is a discussion on Finn...any chance for a 2K4 editor? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2006, 01:55 AM   #25
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Finn...any chance for a 2K4 editor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron
I think 2k4 was the best version. The running QBs aren't as much of a problem and the lob ball isn't money like it was on 2k5 either.

The only issue may be that the running game is too juiced. But that can be dealt with through sliders. I think the presentation is very good and the franchise mode is pretty solid as well.

I don't believe that the draft class bug is in there as well, which makes running a dynasty probably a lot better than 2k5.
if you lower the stamina for RBs it fixes the break tackle thing.. Only thing that sucks is the pursuit angles the D takes.. for instance if you run towards the sidelines the defender doesnt attack you and all you have to do is run towards the sideline and turn up field at out of bounds line. instant big gain.. its one reason the qbs in 2k5 are so juiced.. 2k4 a running qb would get swarmed by the defense once he passed the line of scrimage and would always fumble...So 2k went a lil too far and made 2k5s qbs never fumble..( 2 player games ) and the D doesnt react like they should when the Qbs pass the line of scrimage
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2006, 03:07 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadedSteeler
Thanks for the support and the insightful reply...any reasons why 2K3 is superior?
You're welcome.

Well, let's see -

1) No crappy gimmicks whatsoever.

No Crib, no fake sega characters that have nothing to do with being in a football game whatsoever. When I first played 2k4, I unlocked some guy named Taka or something like that. He was an OL. His pic was like a cartoon. I laughed my *** off and was then pissed off that this fictional player was now in my franchise mode. By the time I found out that changing your user name to "none" before every game eliminates the Crib 100%, I had already sold it and went back to 2k3.

No "goals". This was so stupid. Your team had goals (like 2k5) that it had to meet. Sorry, but winning the SB is the only goal I care about. Not all this other crap. The funny thing was that if your team did bad - your head coach was fired (like 2k5). Of course, what really happens is that you the player gets fired and cant play any more games in franchise (unless you start a new one of course) but yet, can simulate season after season, game after game until you fall down and die. So damn stupid.

I'm not sure if there were any more other crappy *** gimmicks but if I remember any, I'll post them.

2) Play-calling menu.

I dont give a damn what anyone says. The original, unique and innovative playcalling that was in 2k to 2k3 blows away the crappy old, small, player's routes are cut off, obsolete, if I wanted this I would play Madden, boxes.

3) The three circles that are on the field when you pass.

While most probably dont know what im talking about, there were three circles that appeared on the field when you passed. The middle one was the biggest while the two outside ones were smaller. The reason they were there was for catching the ball. The middle circle allows you to catch the ball in stride and continue running. The first circle allows you to jump or dive for the ball while the third circle makes your player turn around to bend over and try to catch the ball before it hits the ground. This made catching fun for those like me who switch to the receiver after I pass the ball in order to catch the ball myself. This little "+" (plus) sign that appears when you pass in 2k4 and 2k5 is garbage. It's nearly impossible to catch lobs unless your perfectly on the marker. Half the time, my player "bounces" away instead of jumping or diving for the ball.

4) The controls.

While im used to the control setup in 2k5, I prefer 2k3's setup over 2k4/2k5. The majority is the same but in 2k3, the Triangle button was to hurdle while pressing the L1 and R1 buttons performed a shoulder charge. This felt a lot better and trust me, running over a LB with a 96 rated Ricky Williams was a lot more fun then it is in 2k4/2k5 (at least to me anyway). On defense, the Triangle button was used to intercept passes. In 2k4 and 2k5, its either the stupid L1 or the Black button. Horrible. And I used the PS2 setup as an example since that's what I had 2k3 for.

5) The gameplay.

The biggest problem was the in-ability to sack the QB. Like the other poster said, you would have to hit the QB with one guy and after he gets shrugged off, sack the QB with the second guy. In 2k4 and 2k5, its the opposite. It's way to easy to get sacks so it evens out.

The reasons why I enjoyed 2k3's gameplay more then 2k4/2k5 was not only because of the three reasons above but the running game was so far superior then either 2k4 or 2k5. In 2k3, in order to perform a "good fast" spin move, you must time the move. It's all about timing. When your RB is ready to make contact with a defender, performing a spin move makes you RB spin off the defender real fast but if the timing of contact is off, you'll have a slow crappy spin move where you are then open to being tackled. In 2k4/2k5, you can spin at any time. I hate that. No player with the ball is going to spin just for the hell of it. Players only spin when they are about to make contact with a defender in order for the defender's arms to slip off the ball carrier which thus lets the ball carrier get away for hopefully more yards. To me, its just more realistic. The stiff arms were useless at least for me anyway but the spin move being better made up for it.

That's all I can think of right now. I own 2k4 (and 2k5) for Xbox but havent played 2k4 since I purchased it three years ago on PS2. I would say why I still own 2k4 for Xbox but doing so would spoil one of the many things that im currently planning to do with my 2k7 roster update.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:32 AM   #27
Pro

DreadedSteeler's Arena

OVR: 8

I haven't played 2K3 in a long while, but i do remember how well the spin move was implemented...too bad they changed that. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:39 AM   #28
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

The biggest thing that really bothered me about 2k3 that was changed for 2k5 is being able to catch the ball with your receivers. In the past if your man was not totally open and he caught the ball, the instant someone hit him it was an automatic drop. Now you can throw to a dependable hands guy and he will make the catch. The old days any catch and immediate hit (could be any wide receiver or any tackler) led to an automatic drop.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:32 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadedSteeler
I haven't played 2K3 in a long while, but i do remember how well the spin move was implemented...too bad they changed that. Thanks for the explanation.
You're welcome. The spin move was awesome in 2k3 because it was 100% realistic and based on timing. The jukes and shoulder charge were also the same. If your timing is off, the move is crappy and you wont get anywhere. To me, 2k3 is "just play". 2k4/2k5 has too many crappy gimmicks that in my opinion wasnt needed.

While I just sold 2k3 for PS2 and have pretty much stayed with 2k5 for Xbox, I must say that if it wasnt for Finn's editor, I would still be playing 2k3. It was more fun to play then 2k5 and especially 2k4. If Finn ever creates a 2k3 editor with all the same features as what's available for 2k5, I would never ever even touch 2k5 ever again.

And I just remembered another thing that I liked in 2k3 over 2k4/2k5. The gameplay / difficulty sliders. I personally hate sliders and hate playing on a custom level of difficulty. To me, it's non-existent. In 2k3, there were sliders but they were for both the CPU and PLAYER which in turn kept everything on an even level while still providing challenge.

But that's just me.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:33 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 1

Bump

Anyone heard anything from Finn on this?
Old 07-11-2006, 12:52 AM   #31
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
You're welcome. The spin move was awesome in 2k3 because it was 100% realistic and based on timing. The jukes and shoulder charge were also the same. If your timing is off, the move is crappy and you wont get anywhere. To me, 2k3 is "just play". 2k4/2k5 has too many crappy gimmicks that in my opinion wasnt needed.

While I just sold 2k3 for PS2 and have pretty much stayed with 2k5 for Xbox, I must say that if it wasnt for Finn's editor, I would still be playing 2k3. It was more fun to play then 2k5 and especially 2k4. If Finn ever creates a 2k3 editor with all the same features as what's available for 2k5, I would never ever even touch 2k5 ever again.

And I just remembered another thing that I liked in 2k3 over 2k4/2k5. The gameplay / difficulty sliders. I personally hate sliders and hate playing on a custom level of difficulty. To me, it's non-existent. In 2k3, there were sliders but they were for both the CPU and PLAYER which in turn kept everything on an even level while still providing challenge.

But that's just me.

You're right 2K3 pretty much kept things simple and "Sugar Free", I just looked over my copy and its as good as it was the day I purchased it so I'm gonna locate some of my 2K3 files and drop em' here some place for you guys to check out once I get em' together!

Hey Dan77733 I'm still looking forward to checkin' out your new update once you get things together bro I really like the way you go about setting them up and eagerly look forward to seeing what you come up with bro!

Holla Back ya'll
Rickster101 aka "Jack Bauer"
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »