Home

Laughable Corporate Shillery

This is a discussion on Laughable Corporate Shillery within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: Laughable Corporate Shillery

baa7, as was stated before, no 2K games are without glitches.

Okay, you say 2K games are "GLITCH FESTS"? I respect your opinion, but what about the Madden tournaments. Those are even larger "GLITCH FESTS". So since we can now throw glitches out of the argument, let's get back to the 'laughable corporate shillery' of IGN.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:03 PM   #18
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrams
The only reason we can't move on and threads like these continue... is b/c there is nothing to move on too.... If madden was 1/3 the game of 2K 3yrs ago... I could least buy the '06 iteration but no.... I'm left with nothing to play... all I have is the therapy writing about how I feel.... It doesn't help when site spew this type of garbage for public consumption... IGN makes it seem like EA couldn't produce these NFL spinoffs with out the exclusive contract... that just so much bull... they write as if EA is some benevolent entity come to show us the way..... disgusting tripe....

PS... and any glitches that 2K5 mayhave is irrelevant...
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I don’t get the “left with nothing to play” comments I often read. Continue playing 2K5. It’s still twice the game Madden ever was or will be (until EA actually DOES rewrite their game engine). I don’t play 2K5 because of the CPU issues, but I play 2K4 all the time. And 2K4 is still hands down better than any Madden game I’ve ever played. Make that hands, feet, knees and toes.
apologies... I should've said "left with nothing NEW to play".... Basically 2Kfootball and Madden, play totally differently.... I need not go into why.... the Madden experience is one I frankly do not (under any circumstances) enjoy.... this is why I have nothing to play... I don't ever attempt to say that 2K is better for you that's not my place... I just feel that if the masses don't care about sim... and they will buy madden each yr. no matter what, like all these know-it-alls repeatedly say... then madden had no need to spend all that money on protectionism...

as far as 2K4 I agree but the only reason I can't play 2K4 is b/c (unlike 2K5) you can run successful plays consecutively without the AI stopping you.... 2K5 won't allow you to complete two (back to back) 20yrd pass plays... that's what make 2K5 the best sim bar none.... there were to many way to beat 2K4....
Quote:
I responded to what seems a rather sad and sorry attempt to dump. Really, whoever said life is fair or that the media knows their heads from their azzes? Heck, this site rated FIFA WC an 8 or something. How's that for disgusting?
your right again... but what's really sad is the way gaming sites are being seemingly controlled by EA's largess.. honestly can you take that article seriously...?!?! even folks that liked the EA/NFL deal has to understand obvious stagnation that taking place b/c of this deal.... for me to ever consider contributing to this grand rip-off/extortion goes against everything I've learned in my 30plus yrs being a informed consumer....
Quote:
And pointing out the glitches in 2K5 is relevant if people are going to bring up issues with Madden. We all know EA is about quantity over quality. But what about The Crib and celebrity challenges, and the fact 2K worked long and hard to make sure all that was in the game and properly programmed and working, at the expense of the game play which is glitchy and was obviously unfinished and untested?
your right... 2K5 had glitches... I think the 25yr salute to ESPN was a waste... plus the penalty settings on 2k4 were a thing of beauty... the setting on 2K5 don't even work... which is a real downer..... lets not talk about the INT settings....

baa7, I will say this... and for any1 else who feels the need to say "well 2K5 has glitches too".... for what ever problems 2Ksports games have... EA sure felt worried enough to spend ~1.5billion dollars keeping a glitchy NFL2K6 from ever seeing the light of day....

EDIT.... also, ESPN should be kissing the ground 2K/VC walks on.... the ESPN brand was nothing until VC got a hold of it...!! and showed just what could be done.... so what as Madden given you.... a bottom screen 20/20 update/train.... big deal....

Last edited by xrams; 07-15-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:36 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrams
apologies... I should've said "left with nothing NEW to play".... Basically 2Kfootball and Madden, play totally differently.... I need not go into why.... the Madden experience is one I frankly do not (under any circumstances) enjoy.... this is why I have nothing to play... I don't ever attempt to say that 2K is better for you that's not my place... I just feel that if the masses don't care about sim... and they will buy madden each yr. no matter what, like all these know-it-alls repeatedly say... then madden had no need to spend all that money on protectionism...

as far as 2K4 I agree but the only reason I can't play 2K4 is b/c (unlike 2K5) you can run successful plays consecutively without the AI stopping you.... 2K5 won't allow you to complete two (back to back) 20yrd pass plays... that's what make 2K5 the best sim bar none.... there were to many way to beat 2K4....
your right again... but what's really sad is the way gaming sites are being seemingly controlled by EA's largess.. honestly can you take that article seriously...?!?! even folks that liked the EA/NFL deal has to understand obvious stagnation that taking place b/c of this deal.... for me to ever consider contributing to this grand rip-off/extortion goes against everything I've learned in my 30plus yrs being a informed consumer....
your right... 2K5 had glitches... I think the 25yr salute to ESPN was a waste... plus the penalty settings on 2k4 were a thing of beauty... the setting on 2K5 don't even work... which is a real downer..... lets not talk about the INT settings....

baa7, I will say this... and for any1 else who feels the need to say "well 2K5 has glitches too".... for what ever problems 2Ksports games have... EA sure felt worried enough to spend ~1.5billion dollars keeping a glitchy NFL2K6 from ever seeing the light of day....

EDIT.... also, ESPN should be kissing the ground 2K/VC walks on.... the ESPN brand was nothing until VC got a hold of it...!! and showed just what could be done.... so what as Madden given you.... a bottom screen 20/20 update/train.... big deal....

Very well done xrams, very well done.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:42 PM   #20
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondadda
XRAMS, let me know once you get on with the PS2 whether you are interested in joining a league. I run one of the best ones on the PS2.

My name is "BCHOCKEY" on there.

And right now I am leaning towards the PS3, as it appears that the PS3 will support NFL 2K5, and the 360 won't.
my bother just gave me his old xbox... so I've been messing around with the Finn editor, just to see what all the fuss is about.... however, seeing more and more folks still enjoying the online experience... in addition to the frustration I get at this time of yr.... I'm looking hard for the PS2network setup... so I can get a online game going.... ppl complained so much about cheese that I felt no need to play with kids.... but now I know alot of folks that used no cheese guidelines which makes going online more appealing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondadda
However, if neither next-gen consoles support online play, I will get an XBOX, because NFL 2K5 is better on the XBOX, and with Finn's editor, it will last forever. In that situation, I won't get a next-gen console for years, until the prices come waaaaaay down, OR if EA finally gets it right and makes a great game WITH leagues comparable to 2K Sports. I guess "no competition" is the only reason that EA hasn't done what's right for the fans and put these leagues together, yet.
your right PS3 won't be doable for me until next summer at this time... and as far as Madden... until they drastically change their player models whereby they look real instead of looking like bronze robots... then maybe I'll give it a try... I'm not really into online all that much... but I'd like to try.... since you on PS2 I will get you a holla, when I'm up.... mind you I'm not any good...
Old 07-15-2006, 05:21 PM   #21
Youtube Innovators

The Lob Mob's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Now c'mon... 2K games are GLITCH FESTS. I don't buy EA products, but at least their games are finished and generally work properly. 2K on the other hand pushes their games out the door unfinished and untested. MLB 2K6 is maybe the ultimate slap in the face: a game the producers OBVIOUSLY knew was broken, yet foisted on the public who they KNEW would gobble it up, just because it was the only game on the 360.
I'm still waiting on an answer to my actual question. Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2006, 06:28 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
"NFL 2K5 also set the benchmark for presentation in a football game with an outstanding ESPN presence including a Chris Berman-hosted halftime show, complete with highlights. Madden still hasn't caught up to 2K5 in that regard, even after signing a partnership with ESPN last year."

Sounds like praise to me. And no matter how you slice it, NFL 2K5 was nowhere near perfect. As a User/CPU game, it was borderline broken -- rushed out, glitches and all, just like every 2K game since. Me, I think Madden is a joke, programmed with 14 year-old online gamers in mind. But as someone else here stated the other day, maybe it's time to move on... if threads like these are all that's left to chat about.
Cmon, baa. It was one sentence and more of a concession amounting to nothing more than saying, "did you know the sky was blue?" Everyone agrees that EA presentation has been stagnant for almost 4 years now.

Baa, I don't think anyone is saying NFL 2k5 was perfect. However, when EA inhaled the entire market, people expected a product that included everything that both 2k and EA already innovated(Look on the NCAA boards and see what the main gripe is). Unfortunately, the next-gen game was scaled back even from what EA had previously produced and didn't give the "leaps and bounds" increase in graphics over 2k5, which is what most consumers (casual and sim) expected from the deal.

IMHO, what's happening is that EA has done a bit of market research and is now reacting to "the grumblings" of the lack of innovation, the lack of presentation, and the sheer arrogance EA has shown since the inception of the deal. The article is an attempt (albeit-weak) at "damage-control." The problem is that conversations like these are increasingly more popular on sites like this, IGN, hell at EB's, and even on the madden boards themselves.

The mere appearance of an article actually lends validity to the fact that threads like this should continue until someone decides to at least give generic football gaming a shot. From that point, we can accurately debate on pros and cons of competitve market vs. "a good business decision" for football gamers after exclusivity.

Last edited by elprez98; 07-15-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:00 PM   #23
Youtube Innovators

The Lob Mob's Arena

OVR: 19

I just gave the article a nice thorough read, & I agree totally with the above (Elprez98) poster & secondly I would like to know:
whose intelligence were you attempting to insult with that b***sh**?
Your loyal Maddess heads or did you actually think that you "woo" some 2kers with your well written pacifying political rhetoric?
Thirdly, if you wanna do so much with the NFL freaking license then why acquire the CFL, NCAA, & AFL as well. Innovation, Ha!
Old 07-15-2006, 07:20 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 14

Viva la 2K5!! I will play it until Visual Concepts puts out another football title, because they know how to make football games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »