Home

Laughable Corporate Shillery

This is a discussion on Laughable Corporate Shillery within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2006, 08:10 PM   #41
TIm
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Laughable Corporate Shillery

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoldill
Wow...objectivity being cried about. What's next...old man doesn't give ball back to boy when falls in yard?

The video game industry is a business. Thus, the industry part of the whole equation. I am in no way a Madden sympathizer. I play the NCAA Football franchise and have for many many years, even before I picked up a copy of Madden. To me, the NFL is a boring product and the video games themselves are usually not accurate in capturing the feel that the NFL has.

NFL 2K5, to say it is the greatest football game of all time, is a joke. It's like NCAA 2004 fans who constantly shill the hell out of that game. People have their preferences, and the fact that you guys still play this game and love it is awesome. Great. Keep running with it. I hope the VC keeps the gates going for you guys to play your game. But I am seriously getting sick and goddamn tired of the mindset that EA Sports did something wrong.

EA saw a viable challenge. The fact still remains that it took two and a half copies of 2K5 to equal one copy of Madden, and the fact still is that VC's move was a desperate attempt to generate revenue. They probably took a larger hit on the marketing ploy then they thought they would. But if you build up a fan base and then go out and charge them more to support the next installment, yeah, you got something. Was VC going to take down the EA Sports empire? Hardly. But I refuse to think that it was just EA that was somehow throwing money around to get postive feedback for their game. If you don't think VC threw money around to magazines to get good reviews, your lying to yourself. I remember defensively the game was poor, as I had absolutely no trouble passing the ball with the Denver Broncos against any team in the game. I'm not going to get into the sliders and the modifications because the casual gamer doesn't get that. That's not what a reviewer throws in his piece when he does the game.

So rather then deal with it, EA made the smart play and picked up the NFL rights. Exclusivity deals are a norm now. Don't blame EA for throwing the money to get it. Blame the NFL for eating the money like the bitches they are. The NBA hasn't done it yet. And on the opposite coin, VC has the MLB exclusivity deal. **** EA? Look in the mirror.

If you're going to let some robot behind a goddamn desk preach to you about what is up with video games, you're an idiot. The gaming world in general has slipped into a vacuum of mediocrity with the same shooters being thrown out there and with Halo games and Metal Gear Solid games heralded as the end all be all when there a much better items in the genre to play.

It isn't wrong for EA Sports to nab up the rights. Its a business. What you guys should be doing is pimp slapping VC for not making a generic football game, because if the core gameplay and presentation was done up well there wouldn't be this issue of "WELL THE CHIEFS AREN'T IN THIS GAME SO I AIN'T GONNA PLAY".
Yes man Ea did something wrong. Not as a business move I can deal with them having the license. I really can. Good for them. Bravo. It was a great move. On the same token though, They could at least improve their games. This years madden looks improved yes. But this is the second installment and there is no reason why we shouldn't have real announcers from espn, espn presentation, Fan interaction, refs on the field, and chain gangs on the side. I am not saying 2k5 was the greatest game of all time. The point is VC made strides every year since the dreamcast. I think this year would've been the year that people started moving from Madden. I really do. 2k had the core of the game in tact. Presentation, Graphics, Generic announcers but great, annimations, and sounds. Really the only annimation they needed to work on was running. The legs would move but the upper body would be stiff. I believe that 2k6 would've improved on mainly AI and 2k7 would work on franchise mode and the game would almost be there. We have next gen madden again it's 2nd installment and it's still not completed. And what people want for the most part its not there. Ea knows people will always buy madden and the game is the only nfl game and they rest knowing that. I'm not totally bashing Ea because their triple play series became mvp in a few short years. That game was the best baseball game out. Now there are alot more people then ever are realizing this. Madden is not a bad game at all they just don't improve it that much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2006, 09:10 PM   #42
Pro

OVR: 4

MADDEN is not a bad game !!!!!!!!!!-what are u mixing coke,acid,crack and weed together in a bong and lighting up everyday!!..\

1.that game sucks balls in GAMEPLAY..(360)& all systems....

nfl2k5 was a damn broken game...defensively,cpu trade & draft logic wise,and glitchy............BUT IT'S THE BEST VIDEOGAME I EVER..no STILLL play everyday like religion..my girlfriends hates that game soooooo much!!!...
but how can a broken glitchy game..

STILL!! be sooo fun and good to play is puzzling..imagine if vc had another year and knew it was there last and they had to go out with a bang!!...

R.I.P nfl2k..madden still plays like trash--pretty trash!!---it's still trash with good menus..i feel sorry for people who actualy enjoy that game.....

i like how vc bought the mlb license to taunt ea and put out mlb garbage to tease the fans and ea fans..you get what u give..and it still sells a million....vc didn't want an exclusive license but ea did some bull..so an eye for an eye (mvp05 is one damn good baseball game)..

but anyway i play 2k5 all day everyday and screw ea all the way!!!!!until nfl blow chunks and fall over...
Old 07-17-2006, 09:11 PM   #43
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by solja
MADDEN is not a bad game !!!!!!!!!!-what are u mixing coke,acid,crack and weed together in a bong and lighting up everyday!!..\

1.that game sucks balls in GAMEPLAY..(360)& all systems....

nfl2k5 was a damn broken game...defensively,cpu trade & draft logic wise,and glitchy............BUT IT'S THE BEST VIDEOGAME I EVER..no STILLL play everyday like religion..my girlfriends hates that game soooooo much!!!...
but how can a broken glitchy game..

STILL!! be sooo fun and good to play is puzzling..imagine if vc had another year and knew it was there last and they had to go out with a bang!!...

R.I.P nfl2k..madden still plays like trash--pretty trash!!---it's still trash with good menus..i feel sorry for people who actualy enjoy that game.....

i like how vc bought the mlb license to taunt ea and put out mlb garbage to tease the fans and ea fans..you get what u give..and it still sells a million....vc didn't want an exclusive license but ea did some bull..so an eye for an eye (mvp05 is one damn good baseball game)..

but anyway i play 2k5 all day everyday and screw ea all the way!!!!!until nfl blow chunks and fall over...

You aren't by chance a rocket scientist are you?
Old 07-17-2006, 10:00 PM   #44
All Star

OVR: 13

Can we just stop this "Why don't you all move on" talk regarding NFL2K fans? The reason we don't is because we still have a game we like to play, and if you don't want to see/hear people keep talking about it 2 years after the fact, stop hanging out in the "2K" forum! It's very simple.

Now, in regards to the EA-NFL exclusivity deal, I can't believe we're still having to explain to people that understanding it was a good business deal is completely unrelated to whether or not it was a good move for us gamers. Those are two separate concepts. Fans of 2K aren't blind by the very simple business mechanics that led to the deal being inked, we just understand that what's good for the stockholders of EA doesn't do a darn thing for improving our football gaming experience; and in the end, that's all any of us should care about.

I wasn't trying to start a whole new 2K-Madden battle, just wanted to point out how completely preposterous that IGN article was (seriously...how can the guy that wrote that article even sign his name to it? It's embarrassing.) and illustrate how deeply-ingrained EA has become in the popular gaming media. Although it's never a bad thing to have a little football gaming faceoff once in a while, if for no other reason than to blow off some football-gaming-related steam!

Cheers.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:31 AM   #45
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Fans of 2K aren't blind by the very simple business mechanics that led to the deal being inked, we just understand that what's good for the stockholders of EA doesn't do a darn thing for improving our football gaming experience; and in the end, that's all any of us should care about.
I disagree. I think if you read these forums 2k fans are indeed blind to the fact that it's just business. They seem to be taking it personal.

The day the deal was signed was a dark day for football gamers, and sports gamers in general, in my opinion. I lost the one football game I looked forward to every fall. However, I am not going to lose sight of the fact that it was merely business. I am not going to say things like EA doesn't do a darn thing to improve or football gaming experience, because that's quite subjective imo.

I agree that gamers, and the 2k hardcore guys in particular got screwed. I agree it's bad for the consumer, but it'd be nice if we all stayed somewhat grounded in reality.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2006, 12:31 AM   #46
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Can we just stop this "Why don't you all move on" talk regarding NFL2K fans? The reason we don't is because we still have a game we like to play, and if you don't want to see/hear people keep talking about it 2 years after the fact, stop hanging out in the "2K" forum! It's very simple.
But see youre missing the "Please move on" people's message to you. Talking about 2k5 in the sense of rosters, commenting on games played, etc etc..you know 2k5 talk is one thing. Yes its a great game, lots of people still play it, there is no reason to NOT talk about it and not have a forum for it... but when you go off into the "I have a theory that 2k7 is coming" or "EA screwed us" or "I heard from a friend whos sister is blowing the janitor at Take Two that guys have been watching alot of football on sundays in the office, maybe that means we are gonna get a new 2k football game! Of course! Thats exactly what it means! yay!".

When you start threads like that youre no longer talking about the game you have, youre going off into wonderland..and after almost 2 years now, it starts to look pathetic. I miss 2k football..but the reality is that there is no 2k6, no 2k7, and probably no 2k8 or 2k9. When I come here I want to read about 2k5 and what we are still doing with this game, rosters, strategy, etc..I dont wanna see a bunch of screw EA, they screwed us, what if..bla bla bla threads and posts..so in that instance.....*drumroll*........................... ................PLEASE MOVE THE **** ON.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:59 AM   #47
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I disagree. I think if you read these forums 2k fans are indeed blind to the fact that it's just business. They seem to be taking it personal.

The day the deal was signed was a dark day for football gamers, and sports gamers in general, in my opinion. I lost the one football game I looked forward to every fall. However, I am not going to lose sight of the fact that it was merely business. I am not going to say things like EA doesn't do a darn thing to improve or football gaming experience, because that's quite subjective imo.

I agree that gamers, and the 2k hardcore guys in particular got screwed. I agree it's bad for the consumer, but it'd be nice if we all stayed somewhat grounded in reality.
bk... I'm very interested to know just how/why in the world (I shouldn't consider) the term "got screwed" as "personal".... It's obviously very personal.... just look at the thread start vs views this so call defunct game still gets.... we can safely say that at least 100thousand ppl still play this game avidly.... moreover I'm just as sure those 100K would gladly spend 50bucks on a generic game... why do ppl try a down play this issue as if we should just lay down and fall into the EA corp cult... thats just what (IBM) had before (apple) came along, all we had was IBM clones... and I know that dates my azz.... but there are so many analogies of this type of corp greed in the news today... and we the (consumer) lose.....

I think that's what disgusts me more about this situation is the gamers that aren't deeply troubled by this affair.... when EA pulled this stunt... every1 and their mama, said EA won't let us down... they'll pick up the 2K5 slack.... now we see they had no intention of doing so.... I knew that from the start..... EA corners the market just to give us better games...!?!? get real, that's a farce....

every1 on this board and all other sports gaming boards has tried madden if they love football.... the reason that folks now play NFL2K is b/c (like me) they've switched and don't like madden (and not b/c of the price).... so yea.. it's personal....!!!!

Last edited by xrams; 07-19-2006 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:11 AM   #48
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrams
bk... I'm very interested to know just how/why in the world I shouldn't consider the term "got screwed" can't be taken as "presonal".... It's obviously very presonal.... just look at the thread start vs views this so call defunct game still gets.... we can safely say that at least 100thousand ppl still play this game avidly.... moreover I'm just as sure those 100K would gladly spend 50bucks on a generic game... why do ppl try a down play this issue as if we should just lay down and fall into the EA corp cult... thats just what (IBM) had before (apple) came along, all we had was IBM clones... and I know that dates my azz.... but there are so many analogies that of this type of corp greed in the news today... and we the (consumer) lose.....

I think that's what disgusts me more about this situation is the gamers that aren't deeply troubled by this affair.... when EA pulled this stunt... every1 and their mama, said EA won't let us down... they'll pick up the 2K5 slack.... now we see they had no intention of doing so.... I knew that from the start..... EA corners the market just to give us better games...!?!? get real, that's a farce....

every1 on this board and all other sports gaming boards has tried madden if they love football.... the ones that now play NFL2K is b/c (like me) they've switched and don't like madden (and not b/c of the price).... so yea.. it's personal....!!!!
I rest my case about the 2k fans blinded by the fact it was a simple business mechanic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »