Home

Laughable Corporate Shillery

This is a discussion on Laughable Corporate Shillery within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2006, 11:33 AM   #65
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Laughable Corporate Shillery

Quote:
Originally Posted by elprez98
The topic is about the state of football gaming due to exclusivity. People aren't talking about MLB and 2k exclusivity on this topic..because that's not what original poster was talking about. That's what the MLB forum is for.
Okay. And I would counter that with the question: Why is this topic being discussed on the 2K football forum? What does IGN's laughable behavior have to do with 2K football, the video game, REALLY? Shouldn't this be in the off-topic forum? And if criticism is being directed at EA, why wasn't this topic posted on the Madden forum?

Sorry, what I see here is yet another lament for the fallen hero. Some weep. Some plunge a dagger in their breast (or “breasts” in the case of female lamenters, and guys who spend too much time drinking beer and sitting on their couch playing video games). And some – like this thread – wish to lash out at the victor.

Y’all are having a whipping boy party. That's what's going on here.

Last edited by baa7; 07-18-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2006, 12:26 PM   #66
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by elprez98
The topic is about the state of football gaming due to exclusivity.
A couple more things: Who sets the dialogue parameters in these here threads? Are we only allowed to discuss how crappy it is EA got the NFL license? I read the thread title – Laughable corporate shillery. Well, my take is 2K contributed to the subject of laughable corporate shillery by releasing NFL 2K5 before it was finished, just to ensure their game was first out the door.

And as good a game as 2K5 is, it’s still unfinished and full of programming issues. And the developers no doubt knew this. It’s obvious. The game wasn’t even tested. In other words, they made a corporate shillish choice: get the game on the shelves in whatever half-baked condition it was in; and lower the price to make sure gamers gobbled it up. And that “Let’s just get this thing on the store shelves, and to heck with the consumer” mind-set continues on with 2K.

That said, sure: it’s crappy about the exclusive licensing thing. But oh well, what can you do?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:13 PM   #67
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
A couple more things: Who sets the dialogue parameters in these here threads? Are we only allowed to discuss how crappy it is EA got the NFL license? I read the thread title – Laughable corporate shillery. Well, my take is 2K contributed to the subject of laughable corporate shillery by releasing NFL 2K5 before it was finished, just to ensure their game was first out the door.

And as good a game as 2K5 is, it’s still unfinished and full of programming issues. And the developers no doubt knew this. It’s obvious. The game wasn’t even tested. In other words, they made a corporate shillish choice: get the game on the shelves in whatever half-baked condition it was in; and lower the price to make sure gamers gobbled it up. And that “Let’s just get this thing on the store shelves, and to heck with the consumer” mind-set continues on with 2K.

That said, sure: it’s crappy about the exclusive licensing thing. But oh well, what can you do?
There is nothing that we can do except buy the alternatives or keep on playing 2k5. With the hard work of many members of OS I'm able to continue playing 2k5 with updated rosters and I'm cool with that. 2k5 wasn't perfect and I don't believe anyone is saying it was. Many are just saying that it has been better than any Madden to this point.

As far as your 2k take, I believe that EA releasing a half-hearted game at 60 bones on the 360 is a worse offense than your 2k5 theory.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:45 PM   #68
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
How is that relevant?
BK you reduced the body of my post to a throw away one liner… you didn’t even address key issues…. I’ll accept your blindness label, when you can justify how this very NFL2K5 section in addition to the one on the 2Ksports forum stays open/thrives …. And rivals the traffic of both NCAA and Madden (2yrs later)… moreover, when you do then my (one line) comment becomes quite relevant…

With all due respect BK… I can’t imagine for the life of me… why you’d use such a broad generalization (blind) to describe all patrons of this fine game….!?!? The very fact that it maybe the last (NFL2K) game only makes it greater and more valuable (something the EA Brian trust didn’t bank on)… or do you insinuate a disability b/c we continue to demand the quality that was promised subsequent to this travesty of a deal…. When I look at what comp. has done to the NBA and NHL games… then by stark contrast what exclusivity has done to both NFL and MLB…. My eyes or wide open….

PS… considering what I read… I question whose really the one with the white stick….

Last edited by xrams; 07-18-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:55 PM   #69
Pro

CAJUN COMMISH's Arena

OVR: 10

I am just sick of the polerization. I want the best game available - period and unless it is my name on the box I will buy whatever works best for our league.

BIG problem, besides the obvious exclusive stuff which stinks for us, is that sometimes games change - for the worse. The best example I can ever think of was how NFL 2K3 was clearly the best pro football game I have ever played - then then bend knees to the youth crowd and make that cr_p that was 2K4 and in my opinion, while 2K5 was better than 2K4 - it was still no 2K3.

I wish 2K hadn't veered off the 2K3 path instead of making another NFL Fever - but that is what they did.

Now, we have no choice and perhaps better moves years ago could have stopped such a move that while good for EA, isn't good for John A. Gamer.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:57 PM   #70
Pro

OVR: 7

Agree with commish, but to get back on topic. The fact that we all dont join in and slam the writer of that PR crap over at ign shows how some are only posting to take shots at the 2k fans. If the shoe was on the other foot, I'd have the sack to say "you know what, nfl, college football, afl videogame exclusivity sucks, its a bitch move and any "journalist" that says otherwise should cease to write about videogames. Whomever he reports to should have locked him out of the site and forced him to go work for EA. That article was crap, and I wont pay for that kind of shillery.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:03 PM   #71
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboo
First of all, some of us HAVE to monitor these boards.

Second, stop with the swearing. It's a violation of the TOS.

For what it's worth, Microsoft dropped their sports gaming department. Chances are they wouldn't even want to bid on the license as that's not part of their strategy right now. And yes, there are many companies that bring in more revenue than Microsoft. Many.
Do you moderators actually get paid to moderate or is it just something you do to help out in your free time?

Sorry about the blocked profanity. I wont do it again.

I know that Microsoft dropped their sports department but there were rumors that they were going to bring them back for 360. My point was that there was never any such bidding. If NFL really wanted to put their license up for bid, I have one word - EBAY. The EA/NFL deal was a conspiracy from the start. When the NFL said on record that 2K5's $20 price tag cheapened their license, I think its safe to say that anyone who can see, realizes that the entire thing was a conspiracy.

EA had offered to buy the exclusive rights from the NFL back in 2002 after 2k3, Fever and GameDay did horrible but the NFL declined. The NFL used the horrible sales of the other games to "up" its price to EA in order for them to acquire the license for that given year. Once 2K5 impacted EA's sales, profits and market share, the conspiracy became a reality. Also, 989 studios who were developing a new GameDay didnt even know about any such bidding until days later. Sorry, but considering that Sony was the ones paying 989 to develop a new GameDay that was said to be in development for at least two years, its safe to say that Sony would have bid in order to not let all that time, money and effort get wasted. Sony would also be able to outbid EA. As for Bill Gates, he's the WEALTHIEST person in the world. He makes more money in a day then we'll make in a lifetime. Trust me, no matter how much revenue EA has, they wouldnt have come close to even matching Microsoft.

Think about it - You're running Microsoft and have 360 coming out in less then a year (of the EA/NFL deal) and ahead of PS3 and Wii. What better way to sell millions of systems by having the exclusive rights to the NFL? Madden sells more copies then the other three professional sports (NBA, NHL and MLB) combined so just imagine how much money Microsoft would have made and how many 360's that would be selling with their system being the only one available that features the NFL.

Either way, we 2K5 fans luckily have Finn who with his editor has done more with a two year old obsolete game then EA will ever do. I honestly hate EA because they are a money hungry company who releases crap after crap and because there arent any other alternatives, they make a fortune while the consumers get ripped off year after year.

Anyway, sorry about the rant and the profanity in my earlier post. And thanks for not deleting my previous post.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2006, 05:47 PM   #72
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by driddy
Agree with commish, but to get back on topic. The fact that we all dont join in and slam the writer of that PR crap over at ign shows how some are only posting to take shots at the 2k fans. If the shoe was on the other foot, I'd have the sack to say "you know what, nfl, college football, afl videogame exclusivity sucks, its a bitch move and any "journalist" that says otherwise should cease to write about videogames. Whomever he reports to should have locked him out of the site and forced him to go work for EA. That article was crap, and I wont pay for that kind of shillery.
Here's the thing that grates my cheese the most is the audacity this article has to exalt this business plan as some kind of great next evolution of sports gaming... it's really not our fault the issue keeps being rehashed... just how ignorant does IGN think we are... or for that matter I wonder just whom the target audiance of the article really is...?!?! Also just how does one grade the future NFL video games with only the previous yrs. madden as the control....

PS... an as far as the "Just move on" crowd goes... they marginalize our concerns as if to say "how dare we appear to care more about video football than they?!?!".....

Last edited by xrams; 07-18-2006 at 08:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »