Home

Hardcore 2K'ers opinions on NCAA 360?

This is a discussion on Hardcore 2K'ers opinions on NCAA 360? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2006, 12:36 PM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Hardcore 2K'ers opinions on NCAA 360?

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
-No gang tackling. I still don't understand why this is such a big deal. Not a game killer for me.
Here is why it's a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
-The tackling animations have improved. Big receivers drag small corners but it's not overdone.
If a big receiver catches the ball and the small corner hits him at the one yard line and you have a safety at the goal line, the safety can stop the momentum and keep the receiver from dragging the small corner into the endzone. That's just one example but I think that it makes the point.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:40 PM   #58
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22
Here are my thoughts after playing NCAA 360 and then coming back to 2K5 for a comparison.

The passing game in NCAA is better. You can hit receivers in stride more and there are more yards after catch. There are some great animations that just make you say "wow!" 2k5 is still very good but there is a "magnet" feature where you are almost always nailed or tackled as soon as you catch the ball...even if you had 5-10 yards on the defender at first. Same for interceptions.....the receiver too quickly becomes a rocket and nails you just after you catch it....even if he was going full speed in the other direction.

The running game leaves me very flat. Still a lot of Mario running and collision detection is weak. I could live with it if I weren't addicted to 2k5 running which so much more realistic IMHO. I can fight and drag players for an extra yard or 2.

The presentation flat out stinks. No style at all and just bores me.

The framerate is far below 2k5 which runs smooth almost all the time.

After playing NCAA on HD and then switching to ESPN 2k5 at 480P on the same HD set I am surprised how well ESPN still looks. This is a testament to how well ahead of it's time it was. In comparison NCAA07 for XBOX looks like old generation. EA never really did the Xbox justice.

Overall I think it is an ok game but it hard to get pumped up playing it. The bands are so subdued that the college atmosphere is weaker than the last gen NCAA. There is no apparent chemistry between players like on 2k5....you really feel like it is just a video game. In 2k5 the players interact coming of the field and on the sidelines and even in the pregame. For me I almost buy into it that these games are real...and that the players actually have something on the line emotionally. NCAA leaves me feeling like they are lifeless
robots....nothing makes me really buy into the illusion.

Oh...one last thing...I find the playcalling screen very tiny and sometimes hard to see the routes.....it looks like a bowl of spagheeti on certain plays.
After going back to 2k5 it looks clean.

Overall I find 2k5 to be a much better all around game....gameplay wise and especially presentation.

When I fire up a game between my Browns against the Steelers and I hear the "NFL on CBS" music cranking as they introduce the teams I still get chills. Add the music at the end of quarters and at the half....I feel like I am watching TV!

It is going to take a lot to dethrone NFL2k in my eyes.

By the way....if it weren't for Finn's awesome editor I probably would not feel this way. But since I can fire up 2k5 and have current players and all the new rookies and the new schedule....it makes 2k5 still be a contender. What features it lacks since the engine is starting to get dated is not that big of a deal. Especially since EA has not made any real strides to do the things that 2k5 does so right.

Slightly off topic, but how did you get the CBS theme in the game? Damn!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:21 PM   #59
Think Different

onetonmartin's Arena

OVR: 9

I LOVE 2k5 ...& I LOVE NCAA 2007 even more.

give it a shot.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:33 PM   #60
Pro

OVR: 7

The game's more enjoyable if you aren't buying it. I'd try gamefly, it makes this exclusivity deal easier to take. NCAA 07 is okay, the ea contingent makes it out to be this end all be all home run type of game. It isn't that, but it is not bad. It's not worht full retail though. I still miss 2k, this game has no soul, just decent gameplay.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:05 PM   #61
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by driddy
this game has no soul
That's it! That's the problem I have with all EA sports games.

As glitchy as 2K games are, they have soul. A buggy, f'ed up sort of soul most of the time, but soul nonetheless.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2006, 02:22 PM   #62
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
That's it! That's the problem I have with all EA sports games.

As glitchy as 2K games are, they have soul. A buggy, f'ed up sort of soul most of the time, but soul nonetheless.
You guys really should seek help.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:33 PM   #63
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
You guys really should seek help.

I've been told that by better people than you!

Seriously, IMO EA's games are about as dull and lifeless as it gets. No atmosphere. FIFA is excellent I'll admit, but Madden is horrible and MVP was ZZZZ... Awful.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:37 PM   #64
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I've been told that by better people than you!

Seriously, IMO EA's games are about as dull and lifeless as it gets. No atmosphere. FIFA is excellent I'll admit, but Madden is horrible and MVP was ZZZZ... Awful.
Agreed on Madden and MVP. Not really having a problem with it in NCAA to this point, or at least haven't noticed it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »