Home

NFL 2K4: Better AI, Programming than 2K5?

This is a discussion on NFL 2K4: Better AI, Programming than 2K5? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2006, 01:11 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 6
NFL 2K4: Better AI, Programming than 2K5?

As we all know, 2k5 does have its quirks in its programming and ai. While many rosters and sliders throughout the years have minimized many of these quirks, it does get alittle frustrating for those wanting a perfect style of game. Im pretty sure 2k4 wasnt perfect but was the ai and programming much better than 2k5? did it really need only alittle bit of tweaking? how bout DB play....was it better than 2k5? I just might go out and buy it for 2 bucks and use dreadedsteelers rosters. 2K4 would be my franchise/season football game. 2K5 would be my online football game. Oh! also, how is the CPU passing game?...many thanks dudes

Last edited by SoCal-Phenom; 07-20-2006 at 01:16 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: NFL 2K4: Better AI, Programming than 2K5?

For me, 2K4 was more enjoyable because it was before VC tried to get too fancy with the player momentium, before the VIP system which I suspected was impacting gameplay negatively in 2K5 and before the CPU QB AI somehow broke.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:36 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
For me, 2K4 was more enjoyable because it was before VC tried to get too fancy with the player momentium, before the VIP system which I suspected was impacting gameplay negatively in 2K5 and before the CPU QB AI somehow broke.

In 2k4 the qb's wouldn't throw passes longer than 15yds.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStar
In 2K4 the O-Line would block around the 15- throwing yardage QB's.

I guess I really like 2K5 more for the fact that I got it on Xbox when I got 2K4 on PS2. With that and everything else that it added... I certainly favored it more. It's definitely one of the most frustrating games of all time, though. I'll give you that.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 07-20-2006, 02:01 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 6

is that true? there were no long passes by the cpu qb's?......im gonna go out and buy it in a couple hours. any words of encouragement about 2k4 and in wat it did better than 2k5?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2006, 02:05 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
That's not entirely true. I just now completed a game, and the Jets won on a fourth quarter 28 yard pass up the middle that killed my chances of getting the ball back.

The thing is, you can edit playbooks and remove most of the short pass route plays. The CPU pass game will absolutely be more north-south as a result. And this is another plus with 2K4: you can create all types of custom playbooks – run heavy; pass heavy, etc – and they will completely affect and change the way the CPU plays. You can’t do this with 2K5, because the VIP’s conflict with any attempts at changing CPU play calling via editing playbooks.

No question, the game programming – the CPU QB performance in particular – is tons better than 2K5. It’s so noticeable, it makes one scratch their head in wonder as to how 2K could screw it up so bad in 2K5. Why’d they change anything?!

The one problem with 2K4 of course is the sideline pursuit-angle glitch. But I just try and stay away from the sidelines as much as possible, as difficult and unrealistic as that can be.

But run a few kickoffs and punts back with 2K4: ACTUAL RETURN YARDAGE! That alone is worth playing 2K4 over 2K5 IMO.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:07 PM   #7
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
That is for the most part true but they weren't constantly throwing it to the other team either. Decision making was a lot better.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:12 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
That is for the most part true but they weren't constantly throwing it to the other team either. Decision making was a lot better.
Boy is that true. The difference is like night and day.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »