Home

running to the outside

This is a discussion on running to the outside within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2006, 06:01 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: running to the outside

am i the only one that finds it easier to run to the outside then the inside?

i always thought running to the outside was easier then the middle.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:27 PM   #18
Rookie

tpaterniti's Arena

OVR: 5

Running to the outside is DEFINITELY not impossible. You should start with the Vikings (with the latest online roster). Keep in mind:

1.) You need a team with good O-lineman, so try the Bears, Chiefs, Vikings, Titans, Patriots, Eagles. If you are trying to run with the Dolphins or something it will be much tougher.

2.) You need a pretty fast back. Michael Bennett is the best, but there are others. You want speed at or above 90. Fred Taylor and LT are great, and Jamal Lewis is good, but his AGL is pretty low.

3.) You need to pick a good play. This sounds obvious, but trying to run a toss to the weak side, which someone suggested, will rarely work b/c the LB will catch you or the CB will unless...

4.) You have to break a tackle or two to bust one. I was terrible at this for a while, but I'm getting better. You need to know the tendency of the backs to help you pick moves. Good balanced backs would be LT, McGahee, Dillon, Onterrio Smith, Thomas Jones, Rudi Johnson, Julius Jones, Tiki Barber, etc. This means that stiff arms, shoulder charges, jukes, and spins work about the same with these. Some power backs are Jamal Lewis, Curtis Martin, Edgerrin James, Reuben Droughns, Kevin Barlow, etc. For these guy, Triangle (Shoulder Charge) is your friend. Your finnesse backs are Charlie Garner, Tatum Bell, Brian Westbrook, Warrick Dunn, etc. You want to use jukes and spins with these guys. A shoulder charge won;t really do anything.

Here is a tip for the moves: First, you must time the move a little before you encounter a defender. You will have to work on this in practice mode. If you wait to late to do it nothing will happen and he will tackle you. Next, you cannot do a move while you are pressing turbo.Now you hold it down to charge, but if you are pressing it rapidly to go faster your move will not work. Which takes me to the last point

5.) You must not use turbo until you are in the open field. When you use turbo, your ability to change direction is cut in half. This is the hardest habit for most games, including myself, to break. You want to hike the ball, then push turbo and run to the outside as fast as possible, but this will not work. Commit to not using turbo until you need to outrun someone North/South and you will do much better. This will prevent you from getting "stuck" on the backs of your blockers.

6.) No one ever told me this, but you have to "lead" your blocks in the game. Here's what I mean. If you run straight sideways, the defenders will just follow you and your blockers can't get to them. This is called "outrunning your blocks". I will show you a play here to demonstrate the principle. This is the T-Toss from the Patriots Bunch set.

So you snap the ball and most everyone picks up their blocks, but of course the CB (the guy I circled) is the one you have to beat to turn it into a big run.

Now, your HB and the CB trying to tackle him are both significantly faster than the T who is trying to block for you. So if you run towards the side line as fast as you can, you will outrun the T, the CB will avoid him alltogether and tackle you. This is what most people do and the reason they cannot run to the outside.

Instead, you take your time and follow the tackle around, going more up and diagonal than just horizontal. This will make the CB take a different angle to you, and it will give the T time to get out in front of you and block.

The key is that once the T engages the CB, you can run around behind the two of them and you're off to your next defender. This is what I mean by "leading your defender".

It isn't always this easy, but you can see the general idea of how to lead your blockers. This will improve your run game more than anything else.

Finally, use the right analogue stick. I never knew about this until recently, but it has stutters and moves you can't do if you just use the buttons. Don't do too many moves. My rule is one move for every defender, so if there's 2 defenders coming I do 2 moves in a row, if there's only 1 coming, I just do 1 move.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by tpaterniti; 07-31-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:34 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by actual29
am i the only one that finds it easier to run to the outside then the inside?

i always thought running to the outside was easier then the middle.
Actually actual, I'm with you on this one. Using the tips matthewk and others have given, I've had a lot of success running outside. It's definitely not "impossible," it just takes running like a running back, knowing when to cut it up and when to string it out. I'm currently the rushing leader w/ Frank Gore (and we all know how bad the niners are) while playing on legend. One thing I'd recommend on top of what others have said is learning to use the juke stick. The stick makes all the difference in the world. It's also the key to getting good return yardage. I think the game was made w/ the juke stick in mind and isn't experienced completely right until you use it and master it by practicing. I used to average 15-20 yards per kick return and 5-10 yards per punt return, but now easily average 25-30 and 10-15. Follow everyone's motion tips and learn how to use the juke stick and you'll be on your way to the rushing title even when playing on the tougher difficulties.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:23 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 14

If it was easier for backs to run outside then you would see that in the NFL, but in fact it is easier for them to run up the gut and follow the gaps. I do not think it is unfair how the CPU plays. There have been times where I would be running outside left, see the d stacked on the left, audible and flip the play to the right, the d doesn't audible, and take the ball 70 yards for a TD. It is totally random. Like tpaterniti said, don't try to burst to the outside. As much as you want to, sticking behind your blockers is going to get you the big yardage, and set you up for big time plays. Stay behind your blockers, find that lane, and tap your butt off, or fill your momentum and hit the hole hard with a shoulder. Patience is a virtue.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:04 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaterniti
Running to the outside is DEFINITELY not impossible. You should start with the Vikings (with the latest online roster). Keep in mind:

1.) You need a team with good O-lineman, so try the Bears, Chiefs, Vikings, Titans, Patriots, Eagles. If you are trying to run with the Dolphins or something it will be much tougher.

2.) You need a pretty fast back. Michael Bennett is the best, but there are others. You want speed at or above 90. Fred Taylor and LT are great, and Jamal Lewis is good, but his AGL is pretty low.

3.) You need to pick a good play. This sounds obvious, but trying to run a toss to the weak side, which someone suggested, will rarely work b/c the LB will catch you or the CB will unless...

4.) You have to break a tackle or two to bust one. I was terrible at this for a while, but I'm getting better. You need to know the tendency of the backs to help you pick moves. Good balanced backs would be LT, McGahee, Dillon, Onterrio Smith, Thomas Jones, Rudi Johnson, Julius Jones, Tiki Barber, etc. This means that stiff arms, shoulder charges, jukes, and spins work about the same with these. Some power backs are Jamal Lewis, Curtis Martin, Edgerrin James, Reuben Droughns, Kevin Barlow, etc. For these guy, Triangle (Shoulder Charge) is your friend. Your finnesse backs are Charlie Garner, Tatum Bell, Brian Westbrook, Warrick Dunn, etc. You want to use jukes and spins with these guys. A shoulder charge won;t really do anything.

Here is a tip for the moves: First, you must time the move a little before you encounter a defender. You will have to work on this in practice mode. If you wait to late to do it nothing will happen and he will tackle you. Next, you cannot do a move while you are pressing turbo.Now you hold it down to charge, but if you are pressing it rapidly to go faster your move will not work. Which takes me to the last point

5.) You must not use turbo until you are in the open field. When you use turbo, your ability to change direction is cut in half. This is the hardest habit for most games, including myself, to break. You want to hike the ball, then push turbo and run to the outside as fast as possible, but this will not work. Commit to not using turbo until you need to outrun someone North/South and you will do much better. This will prevent you from getting "stuck" on the backs of your blockers.

6.) No one ever told me this, but you have to "lead" your blocks in the game. Here's what I mean. If you run straight sideways, the defenders will just follow you and your blockers can't get to them. This is called "outrunning your blocks". I will show you a play here to demonstrate the principle. This is the T-Toss from the Patriots Bunch set.

So you snap the ball and most everyone picks up their blocks, but of course the CB (the guy I circled) is the one you have to beat to turn it into a big run.

Now, your HB and the CB trying to tackle him are both significantly faster than the T who is trying to block for you. So if you run towards the side line as fast as you can, you will outrun the T, the CB will avoid him alltogether and tackle you. This is what most people do and the reason they cannot run to the outside.

Instead, you take your time and follow the tackle around, going more up and diagonal than just horizontal. This will make the CB take a different angle to you, and it will give the T time to get out in front of you and block.

The key is that once the T engages the CB, you can run around behind the two of them and you're off to your next defender. This is what I mean by "leading your defender".

It isn't always this easy, but you can see the general idea of how to lead your blockers. This will improve your run game more than anything else.

Finally, use the right analogue stick. I never knew about this until recently, but it has stutters and moves you can't do if you just use the buttons. Don't do too many moves. My rule is one move for every defender, so if there's 2 defenders coming I do 2 moves in a row, if there's only 1 coming, I just do 1 move.

Hope this helps.
I would like to add to this....A balanced passing attack and inside running game helps too. Short passes, dives, ISO'S mixed with some long bombs keeps the defense honest. Once I noticed that the LB'S would cheat inside, I would audible to an outside run.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2006, 10:04 AM   #22
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaterniti

Hope this helps.

Great tips man, that last illustration is why the running game is one of the best ever. Sticking behind your blocks in the backfield works wonders if you be patient. You usually just shimmey right past and on to the next denfender.

One other thing I'm not sure has been mentione: KNOW YOUR PERSONELL

Knowing if your FB is a good blocker(most of them are but pay attention to consistentcy ratings) then it can mean alot in losing and gaining some yards. Some FBs and TEs just flat out miss a block. If you replay your last play, you may find that your TE may have been subbed or your best TE was placed in another position like a slot reciever.

Pay attention to your guys ratings and you can drive up the field like a pro. If you know your FB is tired and has been subbed, it would'nt be such a great idea to run it to the weak side cause the sub will more than likely miss his assignment.

If your TE or Tackle is the lead blocker, know if he is any good. More times than not, you lose yardage based on your blockers ratings.

What makes this game so damn great is that you can really build a team to your liking. The smart Owner will pick up FAs who fit the mold of the team. If running game is your focus, make sure your O-Line, TEs and FBs can block. If thereare any weak spots in your team, you will notice. Play with a team like Indy or KC and you will see how effective good blockers are in the running game.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:34 PM   #23
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones
I'm just geting back into 2K and i'm loving it. I can run up the middle without a problem but i seem to have a real problem breaking to the outside. Is there a slider for that or a way to slow down the linebackers (who are beast in this game) so that i can break one on the outside?
I'm the exact opposite. I have no problem running to the outside but in the inside with the huge pile of people, it's much harder to break free. I've done it a number of times but it's easier for me to just take it outside.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 08-01-2006, 03:47 PM   #24
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
I'm the exact opposite. I have no problem running to the outside but in the inside with the huge pile of people, it's much harder to break free. I've done it a number of times but it's easier for me to just take it outside.

Yea, going up the gut and breaking free is just tough for me. Anybody got any tips for that. I know all about the analog juke when you engage your first defender, I can never seem to get past a second though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »