Home

Real players names could be used in new 2k football game

This is a discussion on Real players names could be used in new 2k football game within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2006, 12:49 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Real players names could be used in new 2k football game

This ruling would seem to make it pretty safe to simply include the names of NFL players into the "name list" of a generic football game. For example, you could find "Dante" on the list, and "Culpepper" on the list, but not together.

You simply mix and match to create "Dante Culpepper" and away you go...

I'd love a list of a thousand or more names though, the more the better.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

I think people need to give up on the idea of 2k making a new foootball game anytime soon, i sure have.

Time to let the dream go folks, just enjoy the old 2k series and fever 2004 and primetime 2002 and blitz pro until the silly deal is over.

Peace
Old 08-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 62

Call it a hunch that if someone tried to make a video game using players names without their permission there would be hell to pay. This may be a nice case for a persuasive argument, but in the end it would fail.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2006, 01:40 PM   #12
Banned

2krules's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender17012000
However, things such as accurate stadium reproductions and all team logos, mascots, names, etc, would fall under the licensable intellectual property domain, I believe. Also, I would wonder how close a player's created face could be on the game before it became a "likeness" over which EA has the rights. It's an interesting decision, though.
I don't think the names could be copyrighted. How do you copyright "rams" or "cowboys" or "bears", etc.?
Old 08-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2krules
I don't think the names could be copyrighted. How do you copyright "rams" or "cowboys" or "bears", etc.?
No "rams", "cowboys" or "bears" aren't copyrighted, but I'm sure St. Louis Rams, Dallas Cowboys, and Chicago Bears are, that's what I meant. You could probably switch the names around, Dallas Rams, Chicago Cowboys, and St. Louis Bears, and there'd be nothing they could do.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:41 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery Ridah
I think people need to give up on the idea of 2k making a new foootball game anytime soon, i sure have.

Time to let the dream go folks, just enjoy the old 2k series and fever 2004 and primetime 2002 and blitz pro until the silly deal is over.

Peace
*Ahem*
Old 08-10-2006, 01:12 PM   #15
MVP

metal134's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
That's the MLB though, nothing in there about NFL. MLB tried to put a lock down on fantasy baseball last year. NFL has done nothing of the sort. I think this is a reach to think it'll touch the NFL and allow companies to use players names for a football game.
Of course it applies the the NFL, NBA, etc. The ruling wasn't simpley that MLB player names and stats are public domain, they just happened to be the ones involved in the case. It sets a precedent that could therin be applied to all other sports leagues. However, it does still present the problem of being able to use player likenesses, team names and logos, the NFL logo, stadiums, etc. It would leave with the ability to use simply names and stats, nothing more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2006, 01:24 PM   #16
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal134
Of course it applies the the NFL, NBA, etc. The ruling wasn't simpley that MLB player names and stats are public domain, they just happened to be the ones involved in the case. It sets a precedent that could therin be applied to all other sports leagues. However, it does still present the problem of being able to use player likenesses, team names and logos, the NFL logo, stadiums, etc. It would leave with the ability to use simply names and stats, nothing more.
This is true and much like the latter part of your statement, others are confusing the issue. This ruling wasn't about using a player's name for marketing etc. The argument is about what is allowed to be written about a player and the specific use of his name. You don't have to have Joe Montana's permission to write an article about his career including his stats but you will still need permission to use his likeness for commercial purposes.

This ruling simply allows people to use an athlete's name and stats for news type articles and secondary interests. Fantasy football is about selling league and organizational software and is different than profiting off of a player's identity directly imo. There is certainly a grey area here but I think this ruling won't affect the video game industry. Just my two cents.

Last edited by rudyjuly2; 08-10-2006 at 01:27 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »