Home

Cryptic Message?

This is a discussion on Cryptic Message? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2006, 01:03 AM   #73
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Could the Cat be out-of-the-Bag???

I refuse to get too excited -until there is some official news from VC/2K Sports themselves.

As many have commented on, this isn't about beating EA/Madden, but having a choice in football games. I'd be happy with a customizable 2K football game, as long as they keep improving the gameplay and adding fun features.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:35 AM   #74
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCdolphin
I refuse to get too excited -until there is some official news from VC/2K Sports themselves.

As many have commented on, this isn't about beating EA/Madden, but having a choice in football games. I'd be happy with a customizable 2K football game, as long as they keep improving the gameplay and adding fun features.
Yeah I am not going to get too hyped until I get official word. Needless to say, I'll be the first to drop my money on a 2k football game sight unseen.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:43 AM   #75
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

If they make a game dont have team names just san diego, St louis.. give the same or close to the same color schemes.. Like the old old tecmo and madden games...

or make it blank and you fill it in your self...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2006, 03:12 AM   #76
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Probably won't affect Madden sales at all. Even when 2k was licensed and had their best sales year ever, it didn't make a dent in EA's market share. Just because a game is better, doesn't mean people will buy it. And lets face it, a non-licensed game is going to be a tough sell to the masses.
Not true.

Working off memory, 2k4 sold around 400k compared to 2k5 selling over 2 million due to the pricedrop. Thats a sizable chunk of market. Hence Maddens pricedrop, and negotiations with the NFLPA...which led, IMO, to the NFL caving on exclusitivity.

I desperately hope this rumor is true so I can permanently wash my hands of Madden's trash franchise without completely giving up videogame football...
Old 08-08-2006, 04:09 AM   #77
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

New Orleans is up tomorrow. I will continue to monitor that thread and hopefully something will come up with it. Why else would a 2K mod be wasting time with this unless it was to give 2K feedback. Or atleast thats what I'm hoping.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:21 AM   #78
Rookie

OVR: 1

My only question is..What will the playbooks look like? If EA has full rights, then they have the rights to the playbooks too. The only way to get round that is to have a total create-a-playbook feature. Create playbooks from scratch. Does anyone else have these type of concerns?
Old 08-08-2006, 05:34 AM   #79
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by moethugga72
My only question is..What will the playbooks look like? If EA has full rights, then they have the rights to the playbooks too. The only way to get round that is to have a total create-a-playbook feature. Create playbooks from scratch. Does anyone else have these type of concerns?
I have plenty of concerns about a generic football game, but this is not one of them. Although EA does have exclusive rights to the NFL, they don't have the rights to the game of football. 2K would be able to include playbooks similar to what the real NFL teams use — just not too similiar, and the plays would probably have generic-sounding names.

I really hope 2K gives this idea a shot. It would be really interesting to see what they come up with.

-Ryan

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Bulls / Mizzou / Sporting KC

PSN: MizzouTigerrr
Old 08-08-2006, 06:25 AM   #80
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by moethugga72
I don't think EA has any rights to a generic passing play or running play. 2K could even make the Indianapolis Horsemen a pass happy team and I don't think EA could do anything about this.

If this moderator at 2K is yankin' our chains, I am going to personally hunt him/her down...lol.

As much as I wan't a totally customizable game, I will settle for 32 teams with generic names that play similar to NFL personalities, team colors without logos, NFL type rules, and the best online game possible (Since NFL2K5 online experience was nearly perfect to begin with, this shouldn't be a problem.)

One advantage about a generic game that you can't customize names, logos, etc. is that you spend more time PLAYING the game and less time creating the game. Don't get me wrong, I want this game to be totally customizable, but it can be great without it.

I hope they make an announcement August 21st. This way I could save my $60 for Madden and buy two copies of 2K football to show my support to the cause.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »